Thread: Best Localization

Default Best Localization

Woolsey?
    Alexander O. Smith?
    8-4? They are very popular with a lot of people on another board I frequent.

Also Richard Honeywood who did Xenogears and Chrono Cross. Yes XG had some problems but that poor guy didn't have it easy.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken Lover View Post

Also Richard Honeywood who did Xenogears and Chrono Cross. Yes XG had some problems but that poor guy didn't have it easy.
    That's an understatement, try translating katakana for Latin/Hebrew names which are already a pain in the ass to do a direct translation let alone translating them through a difficult language like Japanese. His team got that text heavy behemoth done in ten months which was a pretty monumental task so I'm willing to overlook some of its errors.

Alexander O. Smith is pretty good about localizing, especially his work on the Ivalice titles, and I felt Woosely did well considering the circumstances of his workload and he brought some unique qualities to Secret of Mana, FFVI, and Chrono Trigger, hell I feel many of the name changes he did for VI and CT and apparently Square agrees cause they have never fixed them in any new translation.

Are you telling me her name is Terra, not Tina? GASP.

Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken Lover View Post
    Are you telling me her name is Terra, not Tina? GASP.
    Those names already have had a correct and intended meaning from the very beginning (Zakkusu is meant as Zack and not Zacks, Earisu is meant as Aerith and not Aeris, Tida is meant as Tidus and not Tida, Tina, Uirudanesu is meant as Wildlands and not Wilderness, Ribasu is meant as Rebirth, et cetera) but there can still be a new official, not mistranslated names such as Terra.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Alexander O. Smith and Joseph Reeder!

http://www.ffcompendium.com/h/interview.shtml

This interview with Mr. Honeywood was pretty interesting and insightful to my old Xenogears fanboy and my new Chrono Cross fanboy.

He did an excellent job.