6 17.65%
  • It wasn't believable

4 11.76%
  • I didn't like it

2 5.88%
  • I hated it and wanted to punch it in the face

2 5.88%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Did You Think of FFVIII's Love Story?

Quote Originally Posted by Bright Shield View Post
    And I can possibly buy him "liking" her.

I cannot buy him being willing to jump into space for her with virtually no chance of survival(the Ragnarok being there was more poor writing).

Which isn't saying much, lol. Still, I'd say that IX easily trumps it in this regard. Better writing and all.
    well, he went a bit overboard for his first crush lol, we've all been there right- teenage hormones and stuff (well first crush, more like second if you think about the siscon but yeah)

as for ragnarok being there, deus ex machina, typical.

ffix garnet/zidane romance btw is pretty awesome, too, subtle but very nice development.

DISK 1:
    I think Squall had always liked Rinoa or was at least crushing on her from the moment they first danced but his feelings for her was pushed back in his list of priorities (also the whole 'not wanting to get close to anyone from fear of getting hurt' dilemma). The fact that they argued a lot and Rinoa always trying to get him to open up probably brought him closer to her without realizing it. Their love story is very subtle until disk 3 which is why I assume many people think it's forced.

DISK 2:
    In disk 2 when Squall's showing Rinoa around garden, arguably the scene where Dr.Kadowaki asks Squall if Rinoa is his girlfriend and you can choose 'yes' and then Rinoa wonders if he's serious, you can select yes and Squall chimes in with 'I'm seriously joking' *ba dum tss* while lame it can arguably be Squall's way of flirting with her. There's a whole bunch of other subtle nuances in disk 2 during the concert in FH when Squall and Rinoa are alone and again in FH when Rinoa asks Squall whether he would've been worried if she was on the missile base mission and he blushes conceding that he would.

DISK 3:
    Everyone knows that saying 'you don't know what you have until it's gone', I think that can be applied when Squall starts panicking when Rinoa goes into a coma. Squall has been so used to Rinoa always being there, nagging him and whatnot when she isn't he can't deal with. Just like he couldn't deal with the change of Ellone leaving, he's going through the same thing with Rinoa not being there, so it resurfaces all his prior fears of abandonment and loneliness all over again. Remember we see a lot of scenes of Squall lying in his bed thinking, no doubt he finally comes to the conclusion that the reason he feels this way about Rinoa not being there is because he is in love with her! That's why he acts out taking Rinoa with him to Esthar...

and so on and so forth...

FFXIV Character

Kai Windflower (Sargatanas)

As a youngling, I thought it was wonderful. At a time in my life when I was just discovering the opposite sex, it was the pinnacle of fairy-tale romantic love at the time. Today, I still find the story very sweet. I admit I am also a Rinoa fan, I loved her design and personality. I can look on it today as flawed, in terms of execution, but still a lovely tale despite some of its pacing issues. Rubinstein didn't always get the notes spot on, but the emotional content still remains for me personally. Is there a game to date that has focused so heavily on developing a relationship to the extent that Final Fantasy VIII did? I'm genuinely asking, because I'd like to play it, if there is. I'm a sucker for a good love story despite my Y chromosome. =P

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I liked it.

I always got this feeling that Squall was super independent and just never wanted to rely on anyone at all. I don't think he realised how much he loved Rinoa until he was faced with the prospect that he might lose her. That's why when he's hauling her ass over the train tracks that's what he's talking about.

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Lockharted View Post
    I liked it.

I always got this feeling that Squall was super independent and just never wanted to rely on anyone at all. I don't think he realised how much he loved Rinoa until he was faced with the prospect that he might lose her. That's why when he's hauling her ass over the train tracks that's what he's talking about.
    That certainly might make sense.

My personal feelings about the romance in general, whether the game worked it up subtly from the beginning or forcibly threw it at us in a rush, is that it is silly and would never work out. Perhaps I'm a jaded old man though. I wasn't surprised when it happened in game. I knew it was happening (how could you not, based simply on rules of tropism [deep intellectual pun, I hope someone gets it]), but I just didn't buy into it. I can see them as friends, but not lovers, not in the long haul.

Final Fantasy VIII is the Peeps of the FF series...it's a marshmallow covered in sugar, in the shape of a yellow bunny or duck or what have you with little eyes.

peep.jpg
    Pictured: FF8

But that's what's so great about it...it's sweet. They'd done a couple really dark games up to that point, and they wanted to do something nice.

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

i think zell and library pigtail girl were super romantical

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

I don't get why people find it hard to understand why Squall took it hard when Rinoa was taken away in Disc 3. It was hinted at many times before that point in the story that there was a romance there. You don't know know what you've got until it's gone. MJN made valid points above to add.

Str8 Pimpin'

It definitely felt forced like the writers had to slam it down our throats very quickly before we knew what was happening. That said, I am not against the love aspect of the story, I just felt like it could have used a lot more development.
    "geroeen, pulsa nyet, tolska tanee pre chem"
    "Beauty is a perception tainted by ego;
    Love is an extension of great emotion;
    Fear is the result of uncertainty;
    Sadness is a collection of misery."

I actually liked it, but I really think the ragnaros part could have been different to make it much better

I liked the romantic aspect of the game overall- but I didn't like Squall and Rinoa as a couple. They just didn't strike me as the kind of couple that would stay together very long. They seemed more like the kind that get tossed together by uncontrollable elements, think they're madly in love- then realise, whoops! You get on my nerves, why are we together? Individually, I love both the characters- I thought they were adorable and very funny when they interacted with eachother, but I don't think they would last as boyfriend and girlfriend.