Thread: Do you consider a game new if it's opened but not played?

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Default Do you consider a game new if it's opened but not played?

This will hit home for customers of GameStop/EB Games.

If a game isn't in the wrapping and has a bunch of stickers on it, but hasn't been played and all the codes inside the cover are still unused, would you consider this to be a new game?

I guess I would just consider it "unplayed". Which can be considered new. But all the same, I won't buy anything labeled as "new" condition in GameStop unless there's a sealed one behind the counter.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

New to me is withing a month of release. I never cared about whether it was open or not but I do care if it doesn't come with all of its content like manuals, codes, or the original box. So no, I'm not as particular with my new games as much as I am about my used games.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

That's one thing that bothered me at GS. They give you soooo much crap for marketing and waste so much paper already. Just send cover art for new games and have display cases. Yes you'll be swimming in EVEN MORE cover art but you'll avoid the issue. AND AND sometimes they make you put multiple new ones out so you have to "gut" several.

I like my games all wrapped up to be called new.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I buy new and used games so I don't care either way, but if its not played I would say its new

Only problem is don't buy PSP used games. I have bought so many used games in my life with minimal issues, but PSP games just... I don't know what it is. They won't play properly. Had to buy two new copies of used games I'd bought and some others work but not great

To me buying a game, taking it home/receiving it in the mail and then obliterating the shrink wrap is an essential part of the purchase of a new game. If I buy pre-owned I expect there to obviously be no shrink wrap and maybe a bit of wear to the case and the game itself, but dammit when I buy a new game I expect it to be shrink wrapped so I can bust that bad boy open and admire my pristine purchase before playing it.

If someone else's grubby paws have been on my game it isn't new to me.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

"Like New"
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

I don't think it qualifies as new. The game came to the store sealed. This is a case where publishers are too cheap to send some promotional covers for games and where game stop is too cheap to make some promotional covers. No one wants to spend the small amount of money to make some fake covers. Personally, if I am buying the game I want it to be new and even more so from a company that sells opened an used games for cheaper. Employees can take the games home and play them. That makes them used so how can you charge them as new?

For the sake of argument though, when you go to a car dealership and buy a new car, it has more than most likely been test driven a few hundred miles and when you buy you consider it new. I know this isn't exactly apples to apples but our concept of new can be a bit malleable at times.

Whatever, don't shop at gamestop.