View Poll Results: Which Tales Games Have You Played?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tales of Phantasia

28 50.91%
  • Tales of Destiny

22 40.00%
  • Tales of Eternia

21 38.18%
  • Tales of Symphonia

30 54.55%
  • Tales of Rebirth

12 21.82%
  • Tales of Legendia

18 32.73%
  • Tales of the Abyss

31 56.36%
  • Tales of Innocence

13 23.64%
  • Tales of Vesperia

26 47.27%
  • Tales of Hearts

14 25.45%
  • Tales of Graces

25 45.45%
  • Tales of Xillia

32 58.18%
  • I haven't played any but I'm interested!

18 32.73%
  • I haven't played any and I don't want to

13 23.64%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Have You Played Any Tales Games?

I was super duper enjoying Innocence. But now I'm in a section where I have to grind grind grind. And it made me lose a lot of interest :/

I tried the Tales of the World games, but it really didn't catch my interest. How does Tales of Heroes compare? And am I to presume there is an english patch? I get the impression you've played a lot of them un-translated

Blog Entries

Twin Brave is essentially a spinoff of the RPG games. The best way to describe it is a hack-and-slash similar to Dynasty Warriors. But the characters in the game are all from Tales and the vast majority are the main characters of each Tales game.

This is what the game looks like:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yK8yqIK_sTs

What makes it so fun is that the characters get a bunch of special moves and Hi-Ougis from their games as they level up, and the fighting gets a lot more fun later on. Even some of the characters I didn't like from their respective main games (like Reid and Spada) are actually pretty fun to use in this one.

Yes, I did play the majority of them untranslated. At the time I played games like Rebirth and ToD2, they didn't have any translation patches. It's difficult, but doable. Twin Brave, I'd have to say, is undoubtedly the easiest one to play without knowing Japanese.

I'm definitely gonna try to get Tales of Hearts R for Vita, even though I'm trying to get a PS3, a Wii U, and an XBOne before February of next year.....
    Xenogears is the tragic story of how your whole life can take a crappy turn, just because you happened to see a lady in a wedding dress before her wedding.

This boy is crackin' up, this boy has broken down
    This boy is crackin' up, this boy has broke down

I just started the PS3 version of Symphonia. So far it reminds me a lot of Star Ocean 1 and 2, and a little bit of Vesperia and Graces f.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

I thought the art direction of graces was very much like that of symphonia too.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Looking at Graces f, its never interested me, but I dunno. A lot of people seem to like it, maybe I should give it a try

Graces is just as slow to get off the ground as Vesperia, and the characters took just as long to grow on me. There's a couple of retarded dungeon designs in the beginning that kind of throw the game off if you don't pick up on the design quickly, or have poor navigational memory. So a walkthrough is almost required. But the combat is a lot friendlier than Vesperia. The art style is a lot more intense though. It kinda grated on me for a very long time. And the pacing didn't help. These kinda things are why I think Xillia is just about the pinnacle of the series so far. It's not perfect. But it is the most well rounded and user-friendly. The story starts right out. The combat is fast, easy, and fun. And there are lots of likable and well fleshed out characters with the most voice acting so far in the series I believe. So it's a great jumping off point for anyone that is just wanting to dig in without as much commitment or patience as the others require. But people do still dislike it for various reasons. And there are even more reasons why it's not everyone's favorite

I found the characters of Graces f to be way more interesting and less annoying than Vesperia (ugh, Raven? Karol? A daggone dog? seriously?). Gameplay and story-wise, they're probably about equal.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Apparently there's a new Tales game next year and looking at some of the character designs already has me excited

newtales.png

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

I've seen trailers for Zestiria but I don't recall the characters looking like that

But yeah, Vesperia didn't really have very good characters. But they grew on me. Probably because I've played more of it. But I did not really like that a dog was one of them. But my biggest beef was in the battles. Yuri was the only one who could do a combo for the first like 10 hours. Everyone else had to live with only attacking once. MAYBE twice in a string. It took so long to get another worthwhile character for co-op fun. It almost killed the game for my girlfriend and me. Then Xillia 2 came out and we quit so we could both have fun. Then tried Graces, and got like 15 or 20 hours in, and kinda lost interest on that as well. Vesperia and Graces just had such slow build-up. But thinking back, I think Symphonia did as well. So it's probably been a series staple and Xillia just was the exception, with immediate story, fast pace, quicker character introduction, etc.

Kinda want to try some of the PS2 ones, especially Abyss, since it's the most highly regarded by most people. But I'm not entirely sure I can enjoy the older ones if they're all as slow and unbalanced before Xillia came along and changed everything. I really hope they don't return to those roots with Zesteria and they have more user-friendly/likable characters towards the beginning and it doesn't take 15 hours for the story to start

Blog Entries

Don't play Legendia. You'll thank me later.
    Xenogears is the tragic story of how your whole life can take a crappy turn, just because you happened to see a lady in a wedding dress before her wedding.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm planning to play Legendia. I've heard its the black sheep of the series, but the character designs interest me and that's really the first thing I look at

Blog Entries

Oh Ashton, you poor, poor, poor, POOR thing.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Maybe I'll like it

Blog Entries

You might. It was certainly an interesting game since the Soul Calibur team made it instead of the normal team.