View Poll Results: Which Tales Games Have You Played?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tales of Phantasia

28 50.91%
  • Tales of Destiny

22 40.00%
  • Tales of Eternia

21 38.18%
  • Tales of Symphonia

30 54.55%
  • Tales of Rebirth

12 21.82%
  • Tales of Legendia

18 32.73%
  • Tales of the Abyss

31 56.36%
  • Tales of Innocence

13 23.64%
  • Tales of Vesperia

26 47.27%
  • Tales of Hearts

14 25.45%
  • Tales of Graces

25 45.45%
  • Tales of Xillia

32 58.18%
  • I haven't played any but I'm interested!

18 32.73%
  • I haven't played any and I don't want to

13 23.64%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Have You Played Any Tales Games?

That's what interests me in it most. Though no co-op kinda sucks. But until Xillia, none of them really felt like they had any kind of fighting game engine. Just real-time. I'm curious to see how the Soul Calibur team dealt with it. I'm told that many people's gripes with it would go away if they put it on manual rather than auto

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I never use the co-op play anyways so having/not having it in no way affects my opinion of any of the games. I get that some people enjoy that, but to me it makes no difference. I'm just not a co-op type of person I guess :P

Another common complaint I hear about Legendia is that it has a terrible story and limited character development until you finish the game, at which point, after the credits, character specific stories open or something like that. I've never bothered to finish the game, so I don't know how accurate that complaint is, but it is one I hear a lot. Additionally, I don't recall Legendia using the CC/Stock based attack system that several Tales games, relevantly Xilia, use, so combat is more defined and significantly slower/ less free than what you may be expecting.

On the plus side for the game, though, Senel is fistycuffs-type grappler and fairly unique in the series, which makes him an interesting main character to play as.

Blog Entries

The battle system killed the game for me. Some of the characters are awesome (Senel ) but the battles are very restricting and lack variety compared to games like Rebirth, Destiny 2, Xillia, etc. Who the smurf thought it was a good idea to not only cut the available moves in half, but to not have Hi-Ougis either?
    Xenogears is the tragic story of how your whole life can take a crappy turn, just because you happened to see a lady in a wedding dress before her wedding.

This boy is crackin' up, this boy has broken down
    This boy is crackin' up, this boy has broke down

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

I liked Legendia. I liked most of the cast, and by that I mean I hated Jay and Shirley. But loved Grune, Norma, and Chloe. Especially Chloe, she was awesome. Her clothes were weird though.

I don't think Legendia's lack of moves would bother me simply because I merely enjoy the series, I'm not a die-hard fan. I know how to do some moves, but I don't know which are hi-ougi's, or mystic arts, or .... blue arts... they're just moves. I input the things, and they do them

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Duck...tales.

Woo-oo~~

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

This is the part I'm looking forward to the most in Tales of Symphonia (also, spoilers and such)

8 minutes 22 seconds to about 8 minutes 30 seconds

Guardian WAS pretty nuts in that game. <_<

Sad to say that I've only played Tales of Destiny II, Xillia and Xillia 2. Wish I got into the series earlier then I wouldn't have the issue of complaining about the lack of JRPGs these days, haha.
    ❝ You are a fading dream, but one that has been touched by reality. ❞
    — icon courtesy of gospelle

JRPGs are surviving pretty well on handhelds if you're interested. I've been desperately taste-testing a ton of them to find one with enough depth and character for me. Amusingly, Tales of Innocence is still the best pick so far in that regard. There's a really well done translation patch. Only problem is there is no easy difficulty. I loathe putting games on easy, but some of the dungeons in this game are ridiculous. Long complex mazes with super high encounter/spawn rates. Finally got past the one that was holding me back for the last month or so, so I can continue the game. But I'll keep my eye out for other gems on it, and its peers. Only hendheld I'm missing is a Vita, and can't wait to get one to play Tales of Hearts R (along with Persona 4: Golden)

Quote Originally Posted by Vyk View Post
    JRPGs are surviving pretty well on handhelds if you're interested. I've been desperately taste-testing a ton of them to find one with enough depth and character for me. Amusingly, Tales of Innocence is still the best pick so far in that regard. There's a really well done translation patch. Only problem is there is no easy difficulty. I loathe putting games on easy, but some of the dungeons in this game are ridiculous. Long complex mazes with super high encounter/spawn rates. Finally got past the one that was holding me back for the last month or so, so I can continue the game. But I'll keep my eye out for other gems on it, and its peers. Only hendheld I'm missing is a Vita, and can't wait to get one to play Tales of Hearts R (along with Persona 4: Golden)
    I've noticed that handhelds like the Vita and 3DS are saturated with JRPGs in comparison to home consoles, hence my decision to buy the latter last Christmas. Though I've barely touched it since getting the system and still enjoy the feeling of an actual controller. Going to start hoarding any of the previous Tales of instalments I can get my hands on.

I know exactly how you feel. But then again, my hands cramp up and my back hurts whenever I play a handheld too long. Its just too unnatural and uncomfortable to me. But I keep on trying ...

Off topic, but one of the PSP's most highly regarded JRPGS Trails in the Sky recently got a PC release on Steam and GOG.com. And there's also a pretty well loved game that an indie studio made recently for the Genesis and Dreamcast that just got the PC HD treatment, also on Steam and GOG.com called Pier Solar. So at least the PC is getting some love in that regard

Quote Originally Posted by Vyk View Post
    I know exactly how you feel. But then again, my hands cramp up and my back hurts whenever I play a handheld too long. Its just too unnatural and uncomfortable to me. But I keep on trying ...

Off topic, but one of the PSP's most highly regarded JRPGS Trails in the Sky recently got a PC release on Steam and GOG.com. And there's also a pretty well loved game that an indie studio made recently for the Genesis and Dreamcast that just got the PC HD treatment, also on Steam and GOG.com called Pier Solar. So at least the PC is getting some love in that regard
    Just feels like there's an overall decreased number of RPGs, especially JRPGs which I love, in comparison to the PS2 era. Hence why I shall start finish the Tales of I currently have and then look to buy the previous instalments as I go.