Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: American Horror Story: Freak Show

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

The first season scared me pretty badly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

This was one of my favourite seasons but a lot of people online seem to hate it. I tried rewatching the first season and I couldn't do it. I enjoyed it at the time but thought it poor compared to 2 and 4.

Though I think you reach a tipping point once you off too many characters - just doesn't have the same dynamic anymore.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I don't hate this season, but I didn't like it. I never felt like there was an ACTUAL story being told. It just kind of felt like we were hanging out with a bunch of friends doing nothing.

I doubt I'll give this season a rewatch for a really long time.

Articles

I think that's true, there wasn't really an overarching plot - compared to S3, for example, "Who will be the new Supreme?" main arc - but more individual character strands. Elsa, Dandy, Jimmy and the twins were the focal points although the twins especially faded away as a narrative towards the end. The other characters just existed to fulfill their stories - eg Twisty and his mom for Dandy, Meep and Dell for Jimmy, and so on.

Violent death was a really overused event throughout the season and it was weird that stuff always got ratcheted up to a 10. "Problem? Solve it with murder!" Like, even seemingly rational and normal characters like Paul suddenly became bloodthirsty sociopaths, it was kind of jarring. Ima Wiggles goes from a middle class girl stuck in fat camp to chasing Stanley around with a knife in just two episodes. And while they had just seen their friends killed, it was still impossible to emphathise with Jimmy, Desiree and the twins as they ate popcorn watching Dandy drown. The original message of "You think we're freaks but we're not monsters" rang hollow. Maybe that was the point, maybe they are the monsters they claim not to be and maybe Dandy's killing spree was the payoff of "Live by the sword, die by the sword". I don't know. It wasn't really coherently executed if it was.

...just realised I randomly rambled xD Sorry folks! I still enjoyed it.

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    I think that's true, there wasn't really an overarching plot - compared to S3, for example, "Who will be the new Supreme?" main arc - but more individual character strands. Elsa, Dandy, Jimmy and the twins were the focal points although the twins especially faded away as a narrative towards the end. The other characters just existed to fulfill their stories - eg Twisty and his mom for Dandy, Meep and Dell for Jimmy, and so on.

Violent death was a really overused event throughout the season and it was weird that stuff always got ratcheted up to a 10. "Problem? Solve it with murder!" Like, even seemingly rational and normal characters like Paul suddenly became bloodthirsty sociopaths, it was kind of jarring. Ima Wiggles goes from a middle class girl stuck in fat camp to chasing Stanley around with a knife in just two episodes. And while they had just seen their friends killed, it was still impossible to emphathise with Jimmy, Desiree and the twins as they ate popcorn watching Dandy drown. The original message of "You think we're freaks but we're not monsters" rang hollow. Maybe that was the point, maybe they are the monsters they claim not to be and maybe Dandy's killing spree was the payoff of "Live by the sword, die by the sword". I don't know. It wasn't really coherently executed if it was.

...just realised I randomly rambled xD Sorry folks! I still enjoyed it.
    We did too. No worries. As you were.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Meep

Blog Entries

I heard about Ben's tragic incident the other day. I really enjoyed his Meep character in AHS Freak Show. Rest in peace, Ben. Long live Meep!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

It's been revealed that season five is American Horror Story: Hotel! Lady Gaga is coming in as the main lead actress/to take over Jessica Lange's spot, and they're completely reinventing the show (which is good, because it needs it).

Tentatively hopeful as always.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Interesting.

Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    Meep