Thread: Laura Branigan

Default Laura Branigan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laura_Branigan

So I'm awful with dates and I just noticed it's been about a week since the 10 year anniversary of her untimely passing....

Have you ever heard the name Laura Branigan? Probably not. Did you ever play the game Grand Theft Auto Vice City? Then maybe you'll recognize this song:
    (SPOILER)

I love the 80s so very. very much and thus the entire VC soundtrack is like a tiny piece of Heaven to me but Laura is the only singer/performer I have really come to love. (well her and The Human League) The rest are great true but Mrs. Branigan had something special. She is gone now unfortunately but she had such talent.

The other song she is mainly known for
    (SPOILER)

A lot of her big hits were cover of Euro songs so foreigners here might recognize those songs and not her version while it's kinda the opposite for me.

Perhaps you've also heard of the song "How Am I Supposed to Live Without You"? Or maybe you watched Office Space and that one guy who happened to share Michael Bolton's name? Well Bolton actually wrote the song for Laura first and then later took it and did his own version later.

Anyway...yeah, don't expect this to get a lot of replies, if any. But I thought she was such a great, powerful singer and I want to honor her memory in my own tiny way.

This will always be my favorite song of hers

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Yep, loved that song in Vice City. Was a belter.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

I've heard the song, but i had no idea who performed it
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I'm also quite the Laura fan. Think my favourite of hers is Gloria, it's so fun to sing!

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I enjoy her version of Gloria, though I got to know it in a weird-ish way.

When I first heard it, not that long ago, but not recent either (I think I would have been at college at that point), I felt like I remembered it from somewhere, and was convinced that it sounded like a song from a children's show I used to watch, but I couldn't remember which one, and I still can't. At the time I thought it was the themesong, but it may have just been a song.

Looking back, I can think of three possibilities; 1. It really does sound similar to a song from a children's show, 2. A children's show did a parody of it, or 3. I actually first heard it as a kid, and I remembered it wrong, thinking it was from a show.