Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Improve this Game

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

:monster: Improve this Game

Did a version of this for VI and VIII, I felt it was time to give VII a proper fixing up. So what would you like to see improved about this game? Please let's not bother with silly fanboy nonsense like "I wish it lasted forever" or "I wish they would finally remake it" just assume it's being remade, what would you like to see that would improve the experience?

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Make the characters look like they do in the cut scenes all the time. No more Popeye arms.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Cloud's dress and Barret's sailor suit being alternative costumes you can unlock for the whole game.

Make Yuffie's dialog not feel like she's an optional bonus character. I'm not sure if Vincent has the same problems since I didn't get too far in after recruiting him.

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I forgot, make Barrett less of a stereotype.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Make me actually care about the characters

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Other than dialog, which was mainly a translation issue anyways, I really can't think about much. The only thing I can think of is to offer an expanded selection of support materia, to allow some even more creative materia set-ups.
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

Articles

I think giving the game a bit of a polish; by clearing up the translation, making the character models consistent and maybe changing the interface to be more modern instead of a direct continuation from the SNES games (eg. like FFVIII's menu system).

The characters should look like they do in Crisis Core or even in Advent Children (at least for the cinematics).

Articles
    Blog Entries

Increase the overall difficulty.

Make the differences between the characters more pronounced. Aerith should be a far better magic user than, say, Barret, who in turn should be far more tanky than Aerith.

Polish up the battle system calculations a bit. Defense hardly matters since a character with 255 Def will only take half as much damage as a character with 0 Def, so little differences hardly matter - that is until you bring Dragon Force into the equation in which case having high defense is ridiculously strong. It's pretty badly balanced.

Give more Elemental and Added Effect materia early on in the game. It's nice being able to play around with those.

Add in another optional dungeon or two. I feel like every single FF game could have done with a few more high-level optional dungeons. Except X-2 and XII, those two games pretty much nailed that.

Hm...

Well first, I'd add a hard mode setting. Probably an easy setting too with Cloud constantly dressed like a girl because it's funny and completely mocks people who can't finish the game at normal difficulty, like my brother. So, killing two birds with one stone there.

Another thing would be special missions. Ever played Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky? If you have, you likely played through the five special missions that were unlocked as you played the game. I think it would be neat to see scenarios with other characters' points of view.

Third? Implement the traveling salesman sidequest. It was a sidequest that got dummied out of the final game, and I think it'd be neat to see it implemented.

Finally? Voice-overs. I really don't need to say anything more there.

This could be Dangerous! Carl the Llama's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Legendary Hero (Sargatanas)

I would like to see more time based events, like getting so far and having to camp for the night and you can cook a meal that will restore your health when you use a tent at any point in the game, because it would make the game seem more real. I would add a few features such as fatigue, and a team swap system like X has because lets face it "it would be to unsafe for all of us to travel together" is a load of bulltrout.

I would also like to see battles ON vehicles, like if you were on the buggy the random encounters would take place like they do in Wild Arms 3.

I would like to see customizable outfits, not just one but many, like Lightning Returns but without the stat differences, purely cosmetic.

I would also like to see visual weapon improvements on Tifa's and Nanaki's weapons.

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post
    Make Yuffie's dialog not feel like she's an optional bonus character. I'm not sure if Vincent has the same problems since I didn't get too far in after recruiting him.
    He sought of does, but he's a mysterious emo so it doesn't matter that much if his dialogue fits in.

I remember replaying the game after a long break, and was surprised at how little Yuffie's lines fitted in to what was going on, it was like they added her in at the last minute.

I'll have to surgically remove my nostalgia goggles to really contribute to this thread, but my main thing would be "Better Character Graphics" even though I don't mind them too much (the hands and arms are bad though).

The correct translation would be good as well, as they got more wrong than you realize.

Make it more obvious that Reeve and Cait Sith have different accents, because that's how the others (SPOILER)find out they're the same person - Reeve uses the wrong accent in mid-speech. Hence why Scarlet comments on him speaking strangely. .

I'll try to think of more.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Angus View Post
    I forgot, make Barrett less of a stereotype.
    DON'T do this. I don't see a point in changing a characters personality, mannerisms, or dialogue because of political correctness.

Barret was an awesome character and he added a certain charm to the gang. I would be pissed if this happened. Who cares if it's a stereotype. Better yet, don't change ANY of the characters personalities. Leave them the exact same. Add some dialogue for Yuffie and Vincent but that's it.

This is why I am afraid of a remake. They'll ruin the game doing things like that.

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

There are only three things that need to be done.

1) Option to skip the long summon spell cut scenes
    2) Lets get crazy with materia. Combine lighting with fire? How about lighting strike that explodes into flames for more damage? 4x Knights of the Round Unlocked!
    3) More materia! Add Aero, Water and other new types. New Summons. There was a lot there but you can go back and do some really ludicrous things for pure fun.

I think changing the rest of the game would really lose the charm. I like the pipe cleaning Popeye arms. I like the typos and crap. Over time it has all added up to become classic and helped to engage the community. If anything, add some more enemies or optional dungeons. FFVII was fairly packed with extra stuff but you could always add more.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Quote Originally Posted by edczxcvbnm View Post
    1) Option to skip the long summon spell cut scenes
    One thing I think that they did right with Crisis Core is implement the best summon animation system to date. (Which they obviously ripped of from my idea 5 years earlier that I only told to my circle of friends.) The summon starts as normal, but if you press a button it skips immediately to the damage. You get the cool animation, and the convenience of shorter battles, all in one go.

2) Lets get crazy with materia. Combine lighting with fire? How about lighting strike that explodes into flames for more damage? 4x Knights of the Round Unlocked!
    3) More materia! Add Aero, Water and other new types. New Summons. There was a lot there but you can go back and do some really ludicrous things for pure fun.
    Perhaps materia with three linked slots? You could put an 'All' in the middle and have them both under the effect of all. Or add even crazier new support materia that had the attached ones interact in some way.

I think changing the rest of the game would really lose the charm. I like the pipe cleaning Popeye arms. I like the typos and crap. Over time it has all added up to become classic and helped to engage the community. If anything, add some more enemies or optional dungeons. FFVII was fairly packed with extra stuff but you could always add more.
    I thought I was the only one who liked the sprites.
    Increasing the resolution on them does do wonder though. The PC version was a great improvement, and they could go further still.
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<