Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Improve this Game

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think changing the rest of the game would really lose the charm. I like the pipe cleaning Popeye arms. I like the typos and crap. Over time it has all added up to become classic and helped to engage the community.
    As I said elsewhere (I think in a thread about anime being made into live action) the original version still exists, so making a remake isn't so much changing the original, but creating a new version.

I wouldn't mind an alternative version just to see how it's done - such as a version with the translation that was being done by a former member of this forum. I love the original version's translation, including it's errors, but as I still enjoy reading the translation project, I would love to see a version of FFVII with that translation (and yes, I'm the same guy who said FFVII shouldn't be remade years ago).

One thing I think that they did right with Crisis Core is implement the best summon animation system to date. (Which they obviously ripped of from my idea 5 years earlier that I only told to my circle of friends.) The summon starts as normal, but if you press a button it skips immediately to the damage. You get the cool animation, and the convenience of shorter battles, all in one go.
    That would be a good way to do it.

More materia! Add Aero, Water and other new types. New Summons. There was a lot there but you can go back and do some really ludicrous things for pure fun.
    I always found it strange Aero and Water weren't used as Materias, It would be cool to see some more things as well.

I forgot, make Barrett less of a stereotype.
    DON'T do this. I don't see a point in changing a characters personality, mannerisms, or dialogue because of political correctness.

Barret was an awesome character and he added a certain charm to the gang. I would be pissed if this happened. Who cares if it's a stereotype.
    The silly thing is, I didn't even realize it was a stereotype back then - I just looked at it like he was the tough talking character because it went with him personally.

Better yet, don't change ANY of the characters personalities. Leave them the exact same. Add some dialogue for Yuffie and Vincent but that's it.

This is why I am afraid of a remake. They'll ruin the game doing things like that.
    Once again, the real game would still exist, so nothing would change, nothing would be ruined. It would be a different version, not a replacement. Having a new version doesn't cause the old one to stop existing.

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MJN SEIFER View Post
    I think changing the rest of the game would really lose the charm. I like the pipe cleaning Popeye arms. I like the typos and crap. Over time it has all added up to become classic and helped to engage the community.
    As I said elsewhere (I think in a thread about anime being made into live action) the original version still exists, so making a remake isn't so much changing the original, but creating a new version.

I wouldn't mind an alternative version just to see how it's done - such as a version with the translation that was being done by a former member of this forum. I love the original version's translation, including it's errors, but as I still enjoy reading the translation project, I would love to see a version of FFVII with that translation (and yes, I'm the same guy who said FFVII shouldn't be remade years ago).
    Let me rephrase that. I am against altering the tone of the game. I don't necessarily disagree with doing things differently but the concept of a re-imaging or alternate take on the same material doesn't exist in games like it does movies or other forms of entertainment. If they were to re-release it we have been conditioned to expected a better version of what existed in the past and not a new take on the whole thing.

My main problem with retranslations is that it can really change the tone of the game. The Noles Pole and stuff like that have become some of the most memorable lines.

The same tone trout applies for if they redid the graphics super realistic like the E3 demo or Advent Children. Those are nice and everything but I don't want to see a super realistic cloud going around in drag. I don't even think it would work. Do it super deformed anime style if anything because that was the style the seem to be going for possibly? A mix of that and 3D versions of SNES graphics?

When redoing graphics, I think Halo Anniversary got it right. Update the crap out of everything and give the user the option to switch from the new to the original if they want.

This leaves everyone happy.

Quote Originally Posted by VeloZer0 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by edczxcvbnm View Post
    1) Option to skip the long summon spell cut scenes
    One thing I think that they did right with Crisis Core is implement the best summon animation system to date. (Which they obviously ripped of from my idea 5 years earlier that I only told to my circle of friends.) The summon starts as normal, but if you press a button it skips immediately to the damage. You get the cool animation, and the convenience of shorter battles, all in one go.
    Yes. I could not agree more.

Have Shinra actually be competent.