Thread: JRPGs and Western History

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Default JRPGs and Western History

Anyone else find it odd that JRPGs tend to create worlds with historical European inspirations? Granted I might be a little skewed by what they tend to bring over but when a game is based of a more Japanese historical setting it tends to be something worth noting. I mean it isn't like Japan didn't have a similar feudal period that would work just as well for the settings they are using.
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

I would venture it is because it's more exotic for them (such as how Terra's original name "Tina" was exotic for them.)

Also probably helps that all their initial RPG inspirations were derived from Tokein and D&D. But I would love to play a generic JRPG with an authentic Japanese influence. I get the impression that foundation is half the love that the Persona games get. I guess it'd still have to have its hook and not be super generic. But I'd still be extremely curious what a Final Fantasy game would be set in a fantasy fuedal Japanese culture would be like

The only game that comes to mind in a similar vein would be Jade Empire. Western developed with an ancient chinese flair lol..

But I'm glad that they're also obsessed with sci-fi and steampunk ^_^

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    I would venture it is because it's more exotic for them (such as how Terra's original name "Tina" was exotic for them.)
    Yes, but conversely then we should be making games that don't feature European style because it is more exotic for us.
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

Yeah, we chose completely different philosophies for some reason. We went with what we know. They went with what they were probably least exposed to. Which could probably make a curious social/psychological case

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyk View Post
    Also probably helps that all their initial RPG inspirations were derived from Tokein and D&D. But I would love to play a generic JRPG with an authentic Japanese influence. I get the impression that foundation is half the love that the Persona games get. I guess it'd still have to have its hook and not be super generic. But I'd still be extremely curious what a Final Fantasy game would be set in a fantasy fuedal Japanese culture would be like

The only game that comes to mind in a similar vein would be Jade Empire. Western developed with an ancient chinese flair lol..

But I'm glad that they're also obsessed with sci-fi and steampunk ^_^
    These are the correct answers.

As for playing an FF with a Japanese feel to them both FFVII and X come close. VII mixes a few themes but stuff in both Midgard and Junon show the game borrows a lot of Japanese cultural norms in how people live their lfes and the odd things merchants do to attract customers.

FFX is basically the Tale of the Yamato-no-Orochi given an FF spin and things like the origin of Fiends and the cosmology of Spira is taken directly out of Japanese lore. Spira itself got its inspiration from Okinawa and while lederhosen and belt dresses are a bit odd, Yuna and Auron's outfits have heavy Japanese inspirations. Jade Cocoon also uses Japanese mythology as well as Arc the Lad (original trilogy) and the Raidou Devil Summoner titles are set in 1920s Japan which is a nice treat to see Taisho era Japan. Sakura Wars also uses elements of historical Japan culture as well.

Last but not least, Suikoden has a very heavy Asian vibe, though it does have knights and western dragons the architecture and costume design of the first two games have heavy Asian influence.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vyk View Post
    But I would love to play a generic JRPG with an authentic Japanese influence.
    There's a gorgeous-looking Vita RPG like that coming out that also uses a traditional Japanese art style. It's called Oreshika and follows up on an older PlayStation game.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oresh...ted_Bloodlines

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

The pasture is always greener at the other Continent.

I'll join in this resurrection. Because I actually did end up getting Oreshika. And it's very unique and addictive as far as JRPGs go. My girlfriend thoroughly fell in love with it and played through it multiple times. I'm glad we have since had options more than just medieval stuff and whatever SMT is doing that year. But now we're back to having too many games with kids saving the world lol