View Poll Results: Do You Like Archers in Final Fantasy?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Love them, there should be more!

5 29.41%
  • I like the pure Archers, not other jobs using the bow and arrows

2 11.76%
  • I like any job that can use a bow and arrow

1 5.88%
  • Depends on the game

4 23.53%
  • Don't really like them, no

2 11.76%
  • I like other jobs that could use bows and arrows, but not pure Archer classes

1 5.88%
  • I hate archers

0 0%
  • No strong opinion

2 11.76%

Thread: Do You Like FF Archers?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Do You Like FF Archers?

Final Fantasy has had some archer classes, or just classes that use bow and arrows, although they seem to be getting less common, except XIII-2 I think?

So did you like Archer classes? Pure Archer classes or any class using a bow and arrow, like Rosa from IV?

I am a big fan of archers in games and Final Fantasy is no exception. My favourite job combo in Tactics is Black Mage Archer

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

The best Archer in the entire series isn't technically an Archer, Wakka.

The Archers in Tactics can be useful once you get the hang of their weapon. However, you really need to know where to set them up or you'll end up making a lot of mistakes.

In XII, I like to give Penelo a Bow & make her one of my main Magic users, ala Rosa in IV.

Rosa is the only useful Archer in IV, everyone else who can use a Bow sucks @ it.

The Ranger's !RapidFire is one of the most useful abilities in the game.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I always keep Fran an Archer and give her Black Magic

Yes, I am obsessed with Black Mage Archers

Blog Entries

I love "rangers" in about any game I play.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I love Archers. The bow and arrow are my second-favorite weapon type in medieval settings, second only to swords.

I don't recall that many archers in the FF series, but let's see.

In Final Fantasy IV, Rosa uses the Bow and Arrow to attack. She is the only one to get the Aim ability, so while other characters can also use these weapons, she is the best at it. It gives her something to do when healing isn't necessary, so I like it.

In Final Fantasy V, the Ranger was one of my favorite classes. Not too late after you get it there was this rare bow that makes you do Rapid Fire occasionally, and Rapid Fire is just an awesome attack.

Skipping ahead to Final Fantasy XII, bows weren't that good, sadly. They had their moments and I liked running around solo two-shotting enemies so they never actually got a hit in. They occasionally missed, though, especially in bad weather. However, the Archer is not terrible. You can get a Burning Bow not too far into the game, and with the Fiery Arrows and especially combined with Oil, this is going to be your strongest offense for a while. I got it when Larsa was a guest, and it just wrecked everything.

In IZJS, Archers are bar none the best item users in the game, being the only ones to get all three Phoenix Lores. I don't know if you know this, but equipping the Pheasant Netsuke on a character with all Phoenix Lores makes Phoenix Downs heal to 100% HP. Very nice to have. And how could I forget - in IZJS the very best weapon in the game is a bow - the Seitengrat bow to be exact, with absurd stats that no other weapon can live up to. Although seeing as how it's inconceivable to obtain, you might as well pretend this weapon doesn't exist. Still awesome.

In Final Fantasy XIII-2, Serah sometimes uses a bow to attack. I like the animation, and Ultima Arrow was a pretty cool attack. Not much else to say.

Finally, in the Final Fantasy Epic RPG in Warcraft III, the Archer is my favorite class, as it has really strong abilities and with the Seitengrat equipped, nothing else can top its damage output. I'm responsible for that though.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

I only ever used them to get skills for another class. And when I think of Final Fantasy archers, I think of Rosa. But when I think of Rosa, I think White Mage before archer.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

I love archers and rangers and other long range projectile based jobs or classes. However, they don't really do it for me in Final Fantasy. Playing that sort of a class in the turn based systems commonly found in FF kind of takes away what I like about them, positioning, range, and in some cases traps. The exceptions here would be FFXI and FFT, I guess.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

They seemed to be unused to me in the main series. There's nothing about them that stands out to me like other classes and I can't really think of any specific abilities to them. I had forgotten about Aim and don't even recall Rapid Fire in V. I'd like to see a main entry where it's tied to a specific character like in IX.

Do snipers in tactics count as archers? If so, yes. Yes they are awesome.