Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Just got Bravely Default!

Can't wait to see what all the fuss is about.

Won't be able to play much tonight though because the cat chewed up my charger

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Only game out from a major publisher right now that I'm actually interested in. But I'm so damn po'.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I still haven't touched my copy yet, been too busy with other things and trying to finish some older saves from backlog games.

I haven't finished mine either. But I got it upon release. And even though I haven't finished it, I totally feel I got my money's worth. It's an awesome game. A great throwback to old school game, with worthwhile new school mechanics added. The characters are extremely lovable, and the voice acting fits them to a tee (in my humble opinion at least)

It does tend to be a longer game for a portable, but it is a JRPG through-and-through. As Del pointed out in a previous thread for some people it kinda drags towards the end. But others couldn't get enough of it and maxed everything out. Regardless of whether you finish it or not, I have no doubt you'll enjoy it, considering your taste in games. It's basically Final Fantasy V set in more of a Final Fantasy 9'esque world (yeah, I know, big difference, but the art style and fleshing out are a tad more so in 9), with Fire Emblem: Awakening'esque characters

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

You can switch difficulty modes whenever you want. The game starts deceptively easy, but gets really hard later on, so don't be shy and change that difficulty!

Also, this is one of the only games I know that it's really easy and advised to reach level 99 and the enemies are even scaled to that. Normally you finish an FF around lv. 50-60, even though you can reach 99, so those levels are basically wasted. Not here!

There isn't a whole lot that I can add that hasn't been mentioned already, but I really found myself loving the characterization given to the villains of the game. Learning their histories and motivations ended up becoming a reward in and of itself.

Otherwise, the job and ability system had enough customization to it to keep me busy trying out different combinations. The ability to change difficulty settings is a godsend. Especially the enemy encounter options.
    'Agnés wore sexy clothes! It was awesome!'

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by The White Wizard of Fynn View Post
    You can switch difficulty modes whenever you want. The game starts deceptively easy, but gets really hard later on, so don't be shy and change that difficulty!

Also, this is one of the only games I know that it's really easy and advised to reach level 99 and the enemies are even scaled to that. Normally you finish an FF around lv. 50-60, even though you can reach 99, so those levels are basically wasted. Not here!
    >Implying I would ever have it on something other than easy

Normally you finish an FF around lv. 50-60

You're talking about finishing disc 1, right...?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by metagloria View Post
    Normally you finish an FF around lv. 50-60

You're talking about finishing disc 1, right...?
    Pshaw

FFs are easy as pie. Only time I went over that was when I went over lv. 70 in VII to beat the weapons

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Just got the Monk and White Mage jobs. Hoping I get the other characters sooon~

I am hating how much street pass is being pushed on me

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

My advice is to not be afraid to turn off random encounters or lower the difficulty when you need it. You can do this any time from the main menu with no consequence. This game is built to accomodate the play style of the player and you should take advantage.

Also beware that it realllllly drags on at the end.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I has all les characters now

The difficulty is kind of weird. I'll first enter a new area and the battles are difficult (well, I actually have to heal at some point level of difficulty) and then like a few fights later I'm winning the fight in like 1 turn A lot of the time I haven't even gained a level

But is pretty fun. Between this and FFV I am just rollin in the job classes

Quote Originally Posted by shion View Post

The difficulty is kind of weird. I'll first enter a new area and the battles are difficult (well, I actually have to heal at some point level of difficulty) and then like a few fights later I'm winning the fight in like 1 turn A lot of the time I haven't even gained a level

Partly you're just leveling up. Partly, you're understanding how the fights work. Bravely Default actually does a really good job of making you think through fights. You'll notice this a bit more with later enemies and especially bosses, but there are tactics you have to use for pretty much every situation. Once you know them, you can set it to auto-battle half the time. But before then, fights will offer up quite a reasonable bit of challenge.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by shion View Post

Partly you're just leveling up. Partly, you're understanding how the fights work. Bravely Default actually does a really good job of making you think through fights. You'll notice this a bit more with later enemies and especially bosses, but there are tactics you have to use for pretty much every situation. Once you know them, you can set it to auto-battle half the time. But before then, fights will offer up quite a reasonable bit of challenge.
    For the record, I did not know auto-battle was a thing for most of the game. Even when I discovered it, I didn't trust it because I wanted to make sure I destroyed everything in one turn to keep my chain going.

Protip: Get everyone to learn the Valkyrie's Crescent Moon. It's the earliest way to consistently hit all enemies, making you more likely to get the kill-everything-at-once bonus.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Hint: Crescent Moon is the level 1 Valkyrie skill so everyone automatically has it.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum