Thread: Radiant Historia

Default Radiant Historia

Radiant_Historia_Cover_Art.jpg

Just wondering if there were some fellow fans of this hidden gem. Radiant Historia is one of, if not, the best RPG I have played in the past decade. The game play mechanics, storyline, and the fantastic score by Yoko Shimamura makes it a unforgettable experience and a game I will cherish as one of the greats.

Yet, I don't hear a lot of people talk about it. It always struck me as odd. It had a very successful yet limited release and critics love it. If you have never played this game before, you owe it to yourself to pick it up immediately! (if you can find a copy!)

(I also tried to post some of my favorite musical pieces from the game, but the youtube links weren't working for me ;_; )
    Here's a trailer:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xD9FevMw1_o
    Last edited by Dante WolfWood; 09-11-2014 at 04:01 PM.

I know a few people on here list as one of the best DS games they've played, up there with The World Ends With You. I have dabbled with it on emulator, but not officially. And I do intend to make a real purchase. I thoroughly enjoyed what I played of it. It's a little wonky on an emulator though. So I would suggest anyone buy the real game or acquire a DS flash cart. Though if opinions ring true, it's worth giving money for

Yeah that's the bad thing though. It's hard to find a copy. I heard they released some more but I heard those sold out quickly too.

It's almost as if Atlus was expecting it to fail. The only place I can find copies of the game are ebay and they range from 20-40 bucks used.

Edit: if you can find it new, please buy it that way. Let's show support for this franchise. I would love to see a sequel!!

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Dante WolfWood View Post
    Radiant Historia is one of, if not, the best RPG I have played in the past decade. The game play mechanics, storyline, and the fantastic score by Yoko Shimamura makes it a unforgettable experience and a game I will cherish as one of the greats.
    Agreed 100%. It was my favorite game on the DS and possibly the best JRPG of the generation (probably loses to Xenoblade Chronicles).

I loved the integration of a grid into the standard turn based combat system and the way you can manage your turns which reminded me of FFX's system.

The story was excellent and the use of time travel/multiple worlds was very cool. Only the Chrono series has done this better.

Every JRPG fan should play this game, especially if you are a fan of the Chrono series. You do yourself a disservice by skipping it.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I forgot to mention that it also has one of the best "silent" protagonist in a game. I put quotation marks because he does speak in the game and quite a lot, but only when he finds it necessary. He's a military man and it shows. I would compare him to squall but...he's what squall should have been. a stoic character who still has a lot of heart and cares for his comrades.
    Last edited by Dante WolfWood; 09-12-2014 at 05:32 AM.

Yeah I definitely got that vibe. And found it to be refreshingly more mature in tone because of it. I liked the characters I met in the beginning and their portrayals and interactions. Even the motives come into play. Fairly rare for a JRPG

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Stocke was a great lead. I agree he is a better developed version of Squall. I liked all the characters, particularly the subtle differences in each time line.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Boco

I own the game, but haven't played that much of it yet. I can't wait to play more!