Thread: Shocking Skills

Default Shocking Skills

Have you ever been caught utterly by surprise by your own skills at something?

Normally I have a fairly solid idea of how I do at most things. I'm not usually surprised when I mess up or amazed when I do well.

Then, occasionally, things like this happen.

Some backstory: I am a total newcomer to Mario Kart. The Wii U release is the first one I've ever played, because I generally don't much like racers. I have played around with the game quite a bit, loving it, but I've only just started online races. Usually I wind up coming in fourth or fifth, unless I get particularly lucky or unlucky.

Then there's Toad's Turnpike. Apparently, I am just the Supreme Overlord of this course or something. Between my races yesterday and today, I've run the course three times. Every time, I haven't just achieved a first place victory, I've achieved a substantial first place victory. As in, two Blue Shells and a Lightning Bolt and still no one even close to me.

I'm not really sure what has happened, but after that last race, I wanted to tell someone about that, because I don't really see why it's happening here. I'm completely amazed at how well I've done on this course. Am I just the only one who knows how to race it (I am the only one who thinks to grab the coins right past the start line, so that's one point in my favor)?

Anyway, this was mostly a place for me to brag, but I'm also curious if anyone else has ever experienced something like this. You go into a game or a multiplayer match with a particular expectation, then find yourself doing far, far better than you expected. Should be some fun stories to get out of it, so let's hear them!
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles

I know the feeling you're talking. Usually happens when playing shooter games and suddently I have an overkill or something similar.

In MK8, I really dislike toads turnpike. It's pretty dull, just being a figure of 8. You seem to have chosen my recommended setup for playing though. It'd be interesting seeing how we fair against one another. I personally don't climb the walls in Toads turnpike, Feel it is slower than hugging the inside gaurd rails.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Crysis 2. Rooftop level. FFA. Just grabbed a shotgun and went around, cloaking, sprinting and armoring up in various situations, always picking the best tactical option in terms of abilities and positioning, and utterly destroyed my competition. I think I was around 20 kills ahead of second place, with only 1 death to my name.

Just a phenomenal round. I couldn't believe it. I liked Crysis 2's multiplayer, and I was much better at it than, say, Halo or COD, but even so... I was never that good. xD

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't think I've ever been shocked at my skills. I am awesome and expect to be exceptional in everything that I do.

My friend and I played through Donkey Kong Country Returns together, and I was pleasantly shocked by how well I did on some of the rocket-barrel levels. I ended up nailing a few on the first try, which was good, because I probably would've turned the game off and never picked it up again if I had died there. Those levels SUCKED.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I get 0:0.0 on Catcher Chocobo every 3 races on average. I don't know why but this minigame, which so many people find frustrating beyond comparison, is just really easy for me - and it's fun to play.

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

I'm with Bubba here. I'm only surprised when I don't dominate.

There were some moments in FFXI in which I reached zen-state and saved near wipes through no-thought off-tanking or outstanding kiting. I was more happy than usual with myself in those moments.