Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Could FFXVI be exclusive to the Nintendo 3DS?

Articles

FFXIV Character

Kurisu Kazama (Sargatanas)

Default Could FFXVI be exclusive to the Nintendo 3DS?

I wouldn't be surprised if Square Enix made FFXVI a 3DS game. From a business perspective it may actually be a wise move. Development of FFXIV was rocky, and they had to make a whole new game. FFXV has also had a turbulent development and a platform change. Costly stuff!

How to re cooperate those losses and cut development times and costs? Release a game on a handheld platform with an insane user base. It wouldn't be the first time SE have experimented with something like this, as Dragon Quest IX was released for DS.

Could FFXVI follow suit and, if so, how would you feel about the decision?
    <a href=http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m3/Valentine-06/Signatures/fat_mooglesig2.png target=_blank>http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...mooglesig2.png</a>

Articles
    Blog Entries

I think it goes back to what Tabata says on how well FFXV does when it's released. If they don't make back what they spent, I could see it happening. Thanks to the current state of the industry they could do relatively well in sales and still not be able to make back what they threw into the budget.

I'd be all right with a 3DS entry, since I have a 3DS and I'd be able to get it faster than anything going to the PS4 and XBO.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

They could easily make a profit on a console-style RPG if they just didn't waste 5 years doing practically nothing.

I think it would be insane to think the profits they gain from FF15 are in any way useful in projecting profits for games that are actually made within a sensible time frame.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Seems like up until recently they had an unlimited budget. People got paid for 8 years to sit on their ass and simply think about making FFXV. How are they going to make that up? The game's going to have to somehow earn them tens (if not hundreds) of millions of dollars... Hopefully they're only concerned about making recent money back. Otherwise I don't see how this can be avoided

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

I don't play handhelds so I'd be extremely disappointed if that happened.

Then again all the handheld FFs and KHs are getting HD re-releases on consoles so I guess I'd just have to wait longer to play them.

The industry is so wacky these days.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

FFXVI will be Mac exclusive. #SWERVE

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Angus View Post
    FFXVI will be Mac exclusive. #SWERVE
    Only timed though. Then it will be ported to the Shield and the Ouya.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Well seeing as FF16 on 3DS implies that FF15 will be released at some point I'm going to say no.
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

On that note, maybe we'll see FFXVI come out before FFXV. SE innovatin', you never saw that coming, did you?

Articles

FFXIV Character

Kurisu Kazama (Sargatanas)

I'd be alright with a 3DS title as well. I don't have one, but I'm sure my sister wouldn't mind lending hers to me xD

Imagine the FFXVI 3DS Japan launch though . Pretty sure it would sell a ton more than FFXV will ever do on PS4 in the region unless PS4 sales pick up a lot in Japan. It's not been selling very well there, but maybe that will change when games like Persona 5 start to hit (but that's also on PS3).
    <a href=http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m3/Valentine-06/Signatures/fat_mooglesig2.png target=_blank>http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...mooglesig2.png</a>

Not XVI. Maybe XVII if XV underperforms.

The reason I say XVI won't be on there is because they've likely already begun pre-production on it, or at least have it approved on a schedule somewhere. If they wanted a seismic shift based on XV's performance they would have to release XV, wait a few months for sales data and then start pre-production on XVI. That's just way too much time.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It will depend on a few factors but I don't think it would be unlikely. I feel that if a numbered entry can be an MMO then it can be a handheld as well. Also, even if XVI has already started pre-production, that is still largely the concept stage as opposed to actually starting to code and translate concept sketches and character sheets into models, so it could be possible for SE to wait and see how XV does. I would also point out that Type-0 HD will probably be a factor as well as FFX HD. I think SE really is trying to gauge how profitable it is for them to focus on consoles. Then again, they did say they were creating a new studio focused on it and Tabata has stated in interviews he still feels the franchise should be on console so who really knows?

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

A 3DS main FF game could be the last chance to return to the glory days. I'm all for it.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I am all for it being on whatever system I have, whether that be console or handheld

/helpful

I wouldn't mind one built for handheld but I'd like it on consoles/PC as well. I don't care about graphics - I'm doing an FFVII playthrough right now and dear god it's ugly - but I do care about having a nice big screen with nice big speakers with which to listen to that lovely music.

So it can look rubbish in order to work on a handheld, that's fine. Just make it available for proper consoles as well.