Thread: What was your first game?

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Part of me wants to say Galaga or Pacman just because my mom was obsessed with those. I wouldn't be surprised if I started out with some arcade classic like those.

However, my family has always had a good number of consoles. When I was 1 or 2 years old, we had an Atari 7800, NES, Genesis, Turbografx-16, SNES... I think that's it. I played all of those systems all the time.

Blog Entries

I think it might have been Outrun on my parents' Amiga 500. Either that or Stuntcar Racer. The first game I actually owned and played was the majestic V-Rally on the PS1.

there was a picture here

I don't remember exactly, all I know is that it was on my dads BBC Micro computer and was one of either Revs, Spooky Manor or most likely Dogfight, which was a two player game which we often played together when I was 7 or 8.

k5mld0j.gif

Simple enough, but an awesome little game.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

It was this game on our ol' computer. It was pretty fun, although I don't think I really got what I was doing.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post
    It was this game on our ol' computer. It was pretty fun, although I don't think I really got what I was doing.
    I used to have this game on the old computer along with Snakes. I loved this game! <3 Used to play it with my dad.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Tekken 2. I was 4 or 5

Blog Entries

The first game I ever personally owned was FFVII. Then later that same Christmas I got NBA live 97, Madden 98 and Metal Gear Solid.

Sonic the Hedgehog on the Mega Drive.
    Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

This question is pretty simple for a first born child of the 80's who's parents didn't play games to remember. Super Mario Bros. of course.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by edczxcvbnm View Post
    I have absolutely no idea. For me this question is akin to asking what is the first movie you saw, song you heard, tv show you watched, book you read, etc. Videogames have always been there and I have always played them. I can make the educated guess that it was something for the Atari or Commodore 64.
    All of this 100%, except I'm reasonably certain it was on the Commodore 64 for me.

Whenever I am asked this question I always feel at a loss for how people could possibly remember their first video game. It's like asking "What was your first sentient thought" or something. Video games are like breathing; always been there. I've always been playing them, since long before I could even form memories. I used to think everyone felt this way but it seems as though most people can indeed remember their first so I guess I'm just a turbonerd
    Lump me in the "I have no idea" category.

For me, it was very old PC games. I am talking about before Window OS were common on PCs. My grandma on my mom's side was really into computers (she was a younger than average Grandma being in her 40s back then). She liked video games, and as a result I played them when I went to work with her and my mom (they worked at the same place for a time). This was before I ever set foot inside any kind of school. Besides a game called Rockford, I don't remember what else I played title wise besides a education math game. My grandma did have some sort of adventure game on her home PC (sort of like Space Quest or King's Quest) that were based off of old nursery rhymes.

My family would also get an ancient PC that ran some old games, as well. It is weird to think this was in the days when a monitor would take a good half a minute to brighten all the way and the computer didn't even have a mouse. Just some weird command screen before going to DOS.

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Man, Sephex, your post reminded me of Computer Lab in grade school. Pre-Windows OS, no mouse. We use to have to have a password to play the games. But there were a ton, Gauntlet, PaperBoy, Carmen San Diego, Oregon Trail & Clam Bake (Pac-Man rip-off) to name a few.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Angus View Post
    Man, Sephex, your post reminded me of Computer Lab in grade school. Pre-Windows OS, no mouse. We use to have to have a password to play the games. But there were a ton, Gauntlet, PaperBoy, Carmen San Diego, Oregon Trail & Clam Bake (Pac-Man rip-off) to name a few.
    Everyone at my school was mad at me because I had Carmen San Diego at home.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

When I was in school all the classrooms had these IBMs with monitors that had one color and one color only: green.

I played all sorts of games on those, including but not limited to:

Word Munchers/Number Munchers
    Oregon Trail
    Murphy's Minerals
    Odell Lake
    Some great game about bugs and genetics whose name I don't remember

And so forth. It was friggin great.

When I was in fifth grade they got some sort of early Mac computers and these monitors had COLOR GRAPHICS! And also a MOUSE! We messed around in KidPix all day every day. In fact one of our school assignments was to make a slideshow in KidPix.

My parents were pretty outdated, so I didn't grow up with video games out of the womb. Whether this is fortunate or not, I don't know, but I do know, because of this, specifically the first game I played

In '88 my brother came home with an NES and a bunch of games. You'd think Mario or Dunk Hunt would be my first venture. But nope. When I walked into the room, he was playing Cobra Command. A simple helicopter shooter thing. I think it left more of an impression on me than Mario, because I played a lot more of that game. Until we acquired Final Fantasy and Dragon Warrior anyway

:monster:

The first video game I remember playing is Super Mario Bros. That doesn't necessarily mean that it was the first game I played, though, because I grew up in a tech-savvy household so it's entirely possible that I played something else before it.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)