Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What was your first game?

Articles
    Blog Entries

Default What was your first game?

What it says on the title. What was the first video game you ever played? How did you branch off from there? How old were you when you broke into gaming?

The first game I ever played was Super Mario Bros. for the Nintendo Entertainment System. It was the 1988 double cartridge that came with Duck Hunt, so that was my second game. I had a lot of fun with both, but I don't remember getting very far on either my first playthrough. I think I was about 3 or 4 at the time. From there I played other games in my brother's library: Karate Champ, JAWS, Nightmare on Elm Street, The Uncanny X-Men, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2. Nintendo was a pretty big part of my childhood followed up by Sega and PlayStation.

I need to review more Nintendo stuff.

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Pac-Man on the Atari 5200. I wish I still had that system, but I doubt it would work today.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Either Super Mario Bros. or Donkey Kong I can't really remember.

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

I have absolutely no idea. For me this question is akin to asking what is the first movie you saw, song you heard, tv show you watched, book you read, etc. Videogames have always been there and I have always played them. I can make the educated guess that it was something for the Atari or Commodore 64. Which version of the Atari or which game would largely be up to my parents recollection and they don't remember that stuff. They didn't keep the Atari and I only have some vague memory of it and I played the C64 for years.

I imagine that people about a decade or so younger than I view this question in the same way I do. Being around videogames and computers is just an ubiquitous part of life (even more so for kids growing up today) and I had that same feeling growing up. Always had a computer and videogames around. I am 32 which makes me somewhat different as that was definitely not the norm in the early to mid 80s.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It would have been a game on my ZX Spectrum back in the eighties. The first one I properly remember playing on that was Chuckie Egg. I wasn't particularly adept at playing it, especially using a keyboard. It still provided hours of fun though. I think I got up to level 33 at one point and I was proper chuffed.

Pic 2.jpg Pic 1.png

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I think it might have been Quake for PS1!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Lockharted View Post
    I think it might have been Quake for PS1!
    Aww man, that makes me feel old.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Quote Originally Posted by edczxcvbnm View Post
    I have absolutely no idea. For me this question is akin to asking what is the first movie you saw, song you heard, tv show you watched, book you read, etc. Videogames have always been there and I have always played them. I can make the educated guess that it was something for the Atari or Commodore 64.
    All of this 100%, except I'm reasonably certain it was on the Commodore 64 for me.

Whenever I am asked this question I always feel at a loss for how people could possibly remember their first video game. It's like asking "What was your first sentient thought" or something. Video games are like breathing; always been there. I've always been playing them, since long before I could even form memories. I used to think everyone felt this way but it seems as though most people can indeed remember their first so I guess I'm just a turbonerd

My earliest memory of life is Super Mario World. That is the moment my life begun.

I don't know if I'd played a game prior to that though.

Super Mario Bros. Played it as part of the All Stars game that came with the SNES, which was my first system.

Blog Entries

The Legend of Zelda, Castlevania Simons Quest or Tecmo Bowl. Those were the three games my dad had with his NES when I was a child so it was one of those 3!

My parents bought an NES when I was 4, so it was Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt for me. Got FF1 later that year; I know there were other games in between, but I can't remember which ones. I also remember playing a lot of Donkey Kong Jr. when my friend came over and brought it.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Ah, I'm not too entirely sure. Possibly and potentially The Journeyman Project, that little skiing/abominable snowman monster game, or Pac-Man. I also remember playing a lot of Jack Nicklaus golf, and I hated the game so badly but I wanted to get a good score, goddamn it Whatever my first was, it was a PC game for Windows 95 and I was six.

Articles

Super Mario World. It came out when I was 2 or 3, so is the last game I remember playing. We stuck with Nintendo until the PS2, but I tried to stick with Nintendo.