Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Article: New Final Fantasy XV trailer at TGS

Articles
    Blog Entries

I'm not impressed by the trailer. I found it boring and rolled my eyes at the "road trip" vibe the whole thing has. I was more impressed by the previous trailer we got at E3 (I think it was E3) a couple years back.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

I can't stop laughing because they're driving around in this super flashy modern-day car and then they jump out and start attacking things with big ol' swords oh god it's like it's really Square Enix. I hope the Chocobo theme plays when you're in the car.

I don't have an opinion either way on the trailer, I don't think I'm really much into modern FFs anymore, but damn if it didn't make me laugh (in a good way)

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    The car took a lot of the 'fantasy' out of it for me. Otherwise it looked cool.
    Not any more than the motorbike in FF7 did. I m o.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    I can't stop laughing because they're driving around in this super flashy modern-day car and then they jump out and start attacking things with big ol' swords oh god it's like it's really Square Enix. I hope the Chocobo theme plays when you're in the car.
    I hope the car turns into a chocobo.

Quote Originally Posted by chionos View Post
    I've made it clear at other times that I'm not at all a fan of this modern/future sci-fi+fantasy mix thing that SE is moving toward with their FFs. This is an opinion. Other people like it so good for them;
    This is me as well, so I am not really digging it so much.

I mean holy smurf does it look good and I want it? Yes. Do I think it should be Final Fantasy title? No.

It has a Final Fantasy VIII touch for me with it reality mixed with Final Fantasy VII or XIII which also are prety real but still very much fantasy-like (well, FFVIII as well but way more real).

And Final Fantasy VIII and VII are full of cars. You could drive in cars, on motorbikes, you could even go by bus and train. Vehicles, also normal vehicles are nothing special. A bit less fantastic but they actually are an element.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah it didn't really hype me up. Oh well I'm still excited for the game!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Anyone else notice that one of the characters has the voice of Yagami Light / Okabe Rintarou? That alone got me hyped up. (Edit: Looked it up, it's Ignis who has that voice) Not sure how I feel about the combat they've shown, it looks as though you only control one character ever.

I always thought Noct was just Noctis' nickname, but apparently he's called that way even in the battle info on the bottom right so that may be his final name (at least in the Japanese version).

But what certainly looked beautiful was the world. I very much look forward to exploring it. Now let's just hope it comes out before the PS5 does. That "In Development" at the end makes me worry about when it'll be out.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Here's an amusing gif I found about the road trip buddies

You also have to remember that this is a trailer for the demo. It means it's the opening of the game. They may not have that car for the whole thing. They may not be so happy go lucky either.

Quote Originally Posted by Karifean View Post
    I always thought Noct was just Noctis' nickname, but apparently he's called that way even in the battle info on the bottom right so that may be his final name (at least in the Japanese version).
    As said there is a difference between what is written in Japanese and what the same name is supposed to be in Latin letters. Just like people claim to be Zacks because of Zakkusu but actually he is meant to be Zack. We need to wait for more info here I guess. Once we see some original scans with his name we can see if that is just a "new English name" like Firion or Terra or the intended one.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

According to the official Playstation blog, the demo WILL actually be included in the Type-0 March 20th 2015 release. And the demo/trailer shows off a very early portion of the game and has been changed slightly as to not give away much or any of the plot. Itss goal is to show you the world exploration and the battle mechanics.

Quote Originally Posted by chionos View Post
    Oh yeah, the hair color is so much more obviously un-fantasy than a big shiny car. Say what?I've made it clear at other times that I'm not at all a fan of this modern/future sci-fi+fantasy mix thing that SE is moving toward with their FFs. This is an opinion. Other people like it so good for them; I don't mean to take away from anyone else's enjoyment of the game. But I hate it. Final Fantasy XV: Four Douchebags of Light Take a Road Trip. Nevertheless, that trailer looks pretty bad-ass. The combat looks more and more intriguing, the mobs look fantastic. I love big baddies, and it looks like FFXV is going to be full of them. Visually stunning, aurally stunning. I hope the car's not on rails. I hope there's some exploration in this damn game, because it looks like there's a lot of beautiful scenery and not being able to truly explore means all that beauty is friggin' wasted. a la FFXIII. Startin' to get my hopes up here.
    That is disappointing. I for one am LOVING that future sci-fi style that SE is implementing. It would be boring as smurf if FF was just doing the Pokemon route. Aka, not reinventing the wheel, still doing the same basic archaic bullcrap after 20+ years. I'm sorry, but I for one am RELIEVED and ECSTATIC that the series is progressively moving away more and more with every title from the turn-based combat. That trout was fine back in the 90s because systems couldn't really handle much more at that time. But it's 2014. It's time for new and exciting trout. And personally, I truly believe that SE is doing just that. I know I'll be in the minority and people will probably roll their eyes, but that's my opinion on the matter.

And you say "Final Fantasy XV: Four Douchebags of Light Take a Road Trip."... well, what's that make Final Fantasy X-2? "Three barbies pretending to be entertaining but the game packs more estrogen than your girlfriends pill bottle"?

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    The visual style is really appealing, I absolutely dig it. I agree with chionos - let it be a free roam car! I want to drive right on into that scenery. And yeah sorry gang, I like the car.
    Me too. Even Destiny, another fairly popular sci-fi title, has vehicle transportation. Not that it's cars or anything, but imagine if instead you rode giant chickens. It would be... well, silly. And that's kind of the reputation that FF games have had for a long time now.I respect Square Enix for trying new ideas, even if they don't stick to the wall. Because let's face it, there isn't a whole lot of invention in the RPG scene nowadays. Everybody's doing the same trout, and they can get away with it because of die-hard fans that love that niche trout. Gotta give SE props for at least trying to do something different.

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    According to the official Playstation blog, the demo WILL actually be included in the Type-0 March 20th 2015 release. And the demo/trailer shows off a very early portion of the game and has been changed slightly as to not give away much or any of the plot. Itss goal is to show you the world exploration and the battle mechanics.
    Speaking of your new signature, I had a thought. With the amount of male characters in the game, I was thinking Square might (finally) explore the controversial subject matter of having a homosexual male character. And if my gaydar is as good as I think it is (probably isn't), I'd say Prompto fits the bill PERFECTLY. He doesn't necessarily look emo, like most people are calling the fearsome foursome. I'd say he just looks extremely feminine, with a bit of a motorcycle fetish. Could be straighter than Noctis, but my money says he's our Renly Baratheon.
    Last edited by Wolf Kanno; 09-18-2014 at 11:19 PM. Reason: W~POST!

Quote Originally Posted by Noctis Caelum View Post
    Me too. Even Destiny, another fairly popular sci-fi title, has vehicle transportation. Not that it's cars or anything, but imagine if instead you rode giant chickens. It would be... well, silly. And that's kind of the reputation that FF games have had for a long time now.I respect Square Enix for trying new ideas, even if they don't stick to the wall. Because let's face it, there isn't a whole lot of invention in the RPG scene nowadays. Everybody's doing the same trout, and they can get away with it because of die-hard fans that love that niche trout. Gotta give SE props for at least trying to do something different.
    Final Fantasy often contains great sci-fi elements, that does not mean there are no Chocobos running around or other fairytale-like fantasy elements.

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
    Final Fantasy often contains great sci-fi elements, that does not mean there are no Chocobos running around or other fairytale-like fantasy elements.
    Of course. But I don't see all the negative flak on the car. At least it isn't a Jeep. But then again, I forgot that most FF die-hard fans hate the thought of anything that the new games do to bastardize their classics.

OMG NO CHOCOBOS, -10 WORST GAME OF ALL TIME. Trust me fellas, even the Angel of Valhalla chocobo couldn't save Lightning Returns. A car is not going to ruin FFXV.

And you say "Final Fantasy XV: Four Douchebags of Light Take a Road Trip."... well, what's that make Final Fantasy X-2? "Three barbies pretending to be entertaining but the game packs more estrogen than your girlfriends pill bottle"?
    Sorry to say but that is kind of poor example there as X-2 is for most people the most or at least on of the most hated entry of the series. The game was really only bought because FF fans are/were hooked to the games like Apple fans to iPhones and for those who loved FFX which was very decent.

The only strong point of that girly game is fighting.