Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apparently, people in Japan still like to buy CDs...

Default Apparently, people in Japan still like to buy CDs...

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/cd-lov...003123863.html

Apparently, people in Japan still like to buy CDs, and have resisted the online downloading of music that the U.S. has shifted towards. In a country that seemingly adapts to new technology much faster than everyone else around the world, they seem to like clinging to the CD instead of shifting to digital downloading from the internet, like the U.S. and much of Europe.

I actually think that's a good thing, because sometimes, your internet connection will crash, and when it crashes, you cannot download anything. And if your computer itself crashes, you can say "sayonara" (that's Japanese for "good-bye") to all of your files, including your music. That's the importance of a hard copy.
    Is that your final answer?

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I still enjoy getting CDs as well. I usually end up putting them on my mp3 player anyway, but I like getting the booklet and flipping through it.

FYI, you can back up files. They don't have to be lost if your hard drive fails. Also, CDs degrade and will inevitably stop playing eventually.

And if your CD player fails, you're just as out-of-luck as if your Internet connection fails, except that you can actually get Internet just about anywhere and you can only find a CD player in a pawn shop.

This whole post doesn't make any sense.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I have my music backed up on my phone, ipod and an external hard drive. CDs amount to nothing more than just clutter. I will likely never buy another CD again unless I am physically at a show of a new band whose music I really liked.

However, I would and plan to load up on vinyls one day. Lifelong dream.

Blog Entries

I haven't bought a CD in years, I do however, collect LPs. I have a pretty collection, with records dating all the way back to the '30s.

Here's my opinion: I'm not completely against downloading, but I believe it should be adding on to a hard copy, similar to video games; you get the hard copy video game, and then acquire additional add-on downloadable content for it. I think somebody should invent an even smaller disc that has a ton more storage, perhaps the size of the PSP discs, and then have additional downloadable content for it that you can get only if you get the hard copy album.
    Last edited by SuperMillionaire; 09-20-2014 at 05:54 PM.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Japan doesn't actually adapt new technology all that fast, except for mobile phones and such. All in all, it's pretty average.

You're wrong in either case. If you use any of the most popular music stores, no music is lost if your computer crashes. It's all linked to your account. Furthermore, you don't need CDs to maintain an offline copy of an album. Computers and even phones these days have something called hard drives or memory cards, where you can actually store several albums in a small amount of space.

I doubt a mini-CD format for music would ever be able to take off now. No one would bother with buying them, or the gear needed to play them. It falls between two chairs. If you want portability, you save it to your phone. If you want a disc, you already have those.

Not completely against downloading? Why would you be against it in any degree at all?
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

I'm not saying that digital is bad, but I'm saying that it should supplement a hard copy, like in video games. And while a mini-CD may not be able to take of in the U.S., I'm sure Japan would like it. And according to that same article I posted, apparently, Germany also still enjoys getting CDs, so it might just work there, too.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Why would it take off? Why would people want mini CDs?

Also, lots of games are delivered purely digitally these days, with no hard copy at all.

Not to mention, mini-CDs (and DVDs for that matter) already exist. No one seems to want them, for some reason...

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMillionaire View Post
    I'm not saying that digital is bad, but I'm saying that it should supplement a hard copy, like in video games. And while a mini-CD may not be able to take of in the U.S., I'm sure Japan would like it. And according to that same article I posted, apparently, Germany also still enjoys getting CDs, so it might just work there, too.
    Like with video games, hard copies are mercifully obsolete. I buy many, many games; I have bought maybe one physical disk (only because no digital version was available) in the last 3 years. And I'd get rid of that disk if I could.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I like having physical copies of games because storage does become an issue on consoles if you go 100% digital. Also you can't loan the game or take it to someone's house. That's not really an issue with CDs since music doesn't take up as much space.

I would say having your CD get damaged or stolen is about as likely as the internet crashing and you lose all your digital music. Maybe more likely.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

You can actually take your digital games with you to a friend! Sort of. At least if your friend has fast internet and can download 10 GB before you have to leave again.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMillionaire View Post
    Here's my opinion: I'm not completely against downloading, but I believe it should be adding on to a hard copy, similar to video games; you get the hard copy video game, and then acquire additional add-on downloadable content for it.
    Using an technology that's superior in pretty much every way to supplement an inferior technology? That's a strange concept.

No thanks. I'll stick to having devices that fit in my hand and contain my entire music collection over ever having to deal with CD's again. I've bought one album physically in the last four or five years. And the only reason I did was because they're a smaller band I wanted to support but their stuff is only available digitally on iTunes which is a no go for me. Once I got the disc I ripped it to my hard drive and I will probably never touch it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    I like having physical copies of games because storage does become an issue on consoles if you go 100% digital.
    Storage being an issue on consoles isn't something that should even be a thing. But companies need to sell their consoles with either hard drives that aren't embarrassingly small, or at least provide the option to upgrade them and/or backup your files to an external drive.

It'd also help if competition was a word that internet providers were familiar with.

Basically the only reason that storage is a concern on any platform is because the companies decided to save a few bucks and give you inadequate storage devices and/or your ISP is gauging you.

I have a ton of games on Steam. I keep very few installed at any given time, but I can always download them whenever I want and most don't take more than 20 minutes tops. There are a few exceptions, but not many. And if I wanted to go to a friends and play it with them, all they need is a decent internet connection. Sign into my account, download it, all of my save files are backed up to the Steam cloud, and we'd be ready to go in no time. If you can't find something else to do for 20 minutes then you need more interesting friends.
    Last edited by Slothy; 09-20-2014 at 09:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    I like having physical copies of games because storage does become an issue on consoles if you go 100% digital.
    Oh yeah, people still use consoles. I can't wait for those to go obsolete, too, as they get closer and closer to just being PCs anyway. The vast majority of my game collection is just a quick download away. I can keep maybe 150-200 games installed at once, but I might have to delete some old ones to install new ones.

Another issue I have with downloading is censorship. There is no real way to verify that someone if someone is of legal age online to download songs that contain profanities. Music is very weakly censored, in my opinion; how many times do you go into a record store, and you see a little black and white sticker that reads "Parental Advisory: Explicit Content"? Even then, I still don't think they stop you from getting an album with that label on it.

I recently learned in one of my college classes that back in the day, artists were more discreet about cursing in music, as well as singing about sex, drugs, and alcohol; it was not what you did, it was how you did it. They were more discreet about it. Today however, with all of the indiscretion of sex, drugs, alcohol, and profanity so weakly censored, it's very easy for a child to obtain.