Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Article: Final Fantasy XV is about 55% done

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Default XV is about 55% done

Final Fantasy XV has been in a bit of development hell. It's been 8 years and has changed it's name, directors, direction, graphics engine, system, and generally has had little to no info released in this time frame. That is, until Hajime Tabata came into the development team.

By the time Tabata had joined the team, Square Enix had been working on XV for 6 years as Final Fantasy XIII Versus. During those six years, Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy XIII-2 came out and the production of Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII was in full swing. Final Fantasy Crisis Core and Final Fantasy Type-0 came out during this time and Agito was being worked on all by Tabata's teams. The MMO Final Fantasy XIV crashed and burned and was reborn during this time as well thanks to Naoki Yoshida.

Tetsuya Nomura, recently stepping down to focus on other games such as those in the Kingdom Hearts vein, left the spot open for Tabata as the director. Attempting to keep most of Nomura's Vision in tact, Tabata and his team have been working hard on the numbered entry. He now says that the game itself, since him joining, is at about 55% completion.

According to Kotaku, whom did the interview with Tabata, more was going on internally, "So, when I joined the development team, we've also shifted from primarily using pre-rendered CG to a mix of pre-rendered CG and in-game images that are at the quality of a pre-rendered image." According to Tabata, the graphics are about 70 percent of what they are aiming for. "I think we can get the demo's graphics at about 80 percent of what we hope to achieve," he said. "By the time the game is released, we hope to achieve 100 percent."

He went on to explain how the car itself is a tool to explore the world, akin to the airships of the past. "Whether it's driving or combat, you can do what you like in the game," Tabata said. "There is that freedom. It's open world, and it's possible to go where you want and explore."

So it's been 8 years and 55% is complete. Now this isn't 55% of Versus complete. This is 55% of Tabata's XV complete. We might as well restart the clock and think of it being in development for only 2 years, as that's how long Tabata has been in control. Even though, of course we can't do that.

55% complete? Any thoughts on that percentage and the new development information coming to light?

Articles
    Blog Entries

Eight years... Eight long, ridiculous, smurfing years, and it's only just now at 55 percent completion!? What the hell were they doing before Tabata came along, sitting around drinking and playing Triple Triad?

Tabata has done in two years what Nomura allegedly couldn't do in six. I say allegedly because I have no idea if Nomura is solely to blame or more people are at fault and I don't expect any light to be shed on that anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post

According to Kotaku, whom did the interview with Tabata, more was going on internally, "So, when I joined the development team, we've also shifted from primarily using pre-rendered CG to a mix of pre-rendered CG and in-game images that are at the quality of a pre-rendered image." According to Tabata, the graphics are about 70 percent of what they are aiming for. "I think we can get the demo's graphics at about 80 percent of what we hope to achieve," he said. "By the time the game is released, we hope to achieve 100 percent."
    I sense doom being spelled for caring too much about graphics. And that goes on top of all the other doom that this title already has cast upon itself.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

So... another 8 years then?

55% is not cool. But I am fairly sure that means he tries to make it faster now.

When I hear that I fear that Tetsuya Nomura was actually asked to step down from that project. Which I don't hope but that is business. I will buy it no matter what but we just cannot wait so long. It is not good to announce projects that probably only consist of tghe overall ideas, some artworks and a trailer while it is not done yet for a good deal and while the probability of remaking a good deal of it inbetween is there and that for sure is one of the reasons, it should not be like this. Making big games needing its time is obvious but then I need to plan properly and I am sure such a fauxpas will never happen again as Final Fantasy XVI mustn't need another 8 years - except they begin with development early but do not announce it at that time.
    Last edited by Sephiroth; 09-22-2014 at 02:39 PM.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

55% does not mean it'll take another 8 years. They likely had to make a lot of stuff anew when switching to PS4. Unless we can find out when the work for the PS4 started, we can't really tell how long they spent to get to these 55%. With a playable demo being half a year away, I'd say summer 2015 is possible for the Japanese version, and hopefully Q4 2015 for the English version, just in time for christmas.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles

FFXIV Character

Kurisu Kazama (Sargatanas)

He went on to explain how the car itself is a tool to explore the world, akin to the airships of the past. "Whether it's driving or combat, you can do what you like in the game," Tabata said. "There is that freedom. It's open world, and it's possible to go where you want and explore."
    Hopefully this doesn't mean that plans for an airship have been totally removed from the game. We already know that there are plans for Chocobos in the FFXV demo, so the car isn't the only form of transportation. However cars and chocobos don't equal airships.

As for 55% completion... :/

Tabata seems to have things under control now, so hopefully he'll keep on top of things and go full steam ahead on development from here on out!
    <a href=http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m3/Valentine-06/Signatures/fat_mooglesig2.png target=_blank>http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...mooglesig2.png</a>

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Well in the trailer you saw airships so I'm sure they are still included.

YOU DONT KNOW YET!?!?!? FFFFsephychibi's Avatar

http://gematsu.com/2014/09/final-fan...ld-combat-demo

“I joined the project about two years ago, and around that time, we changed platforms,” Tabata told Kotaku. “We re-examined Final Fantasy XV‘s development structure. We had the gameplay team, the cinematics or CG team, and the game engine team. And we finally merged them all together to work on this game. I think we can deliver the best that Square Enix has to offer.”

Tabata said that Final Fantasy XV will be a title for gamers who have been waiting since the game was known as Final Fantasy Versus XIII, but notes that it’s somewhat changed.

This is not the exact same game. The director is different, and the platform was switched to the current gen. And because the platform has changed, there were things we had to re-evaluate, like what we can and cannot do or even what we have to do. The various circumstances are different.”

But that’s not to say the game has lost its core. Tabata sat down with original director Tetsuya Nomura about the direction the title is going to take.

“I wanted to make sure that characters, like Noctis, that are so important to Nomura, are maintained in the best possible way.”

The part about only the characters still being portrayed properly from the original concept (which don't get me wrong is great), being the only example tabata provides that made it from the original concept frightens me.... What about the story? No more magitek and tank control T_T?????? It's also driving me nuts that it hasn't been confirmed weather or not the no party switching is exclusively to the demo or not...

Is it also a little weird that he's suggesting they can't implement everything that was originally designed because the hardware and software got... better? That doesn't make sense. It sounds like the games been stripped of fun mechanics for graphical quality I'm excited for those graphics no doubt though.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm betting for a release in 2017.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't see anywhere in there that things aren't able to be implementing because the hardware got better. If I remember correctly, Nomura's original idea was actually too ambitious for the PS3, which was part of why it moved to the PS4. I take him saying that they had to reevaluate what they could and couldn't do with the move to the PS4 as being able to be realistic about it's capabilities.

In any case, I think this is about the time the game should have even been announced. Maybe at the last E3 which would lead to this reveal with gameplay, then to the demo and whatnot. While the original trailer and whatnot was pretty cool, it seemed to be released as a concept with no real work being done on it. Considering how much Tabata has done in the time he's taken over, I can see this coming relatively quickly!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

We need a progress bar just always going in the background

bar.png

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Right? Like he said 55% because that's technically more than half. Technically. So the progress bar would be just over half, it looks better!

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

what the smurf are they actually doing

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I think Nomura was just making belts for the characters and getting paid for being the director tralala money. Well he was art director on a bunch during that time, had birth by sleep come out during that time and helped with a lot of games, art wise. I just think putting him as the lead was the wrong move as he was stretched too far and deadlines don't exist at SE.