Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by FFFFsephychibi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    I pretty much always felt that Noctis would always be the only playable character. As for making the gameplay more casual friendly with one button interface, that has been part of the series course since 94 so I don't see why people are whining about FF being made to cater to the lowest common denominator of player because they have always done that since VI.

I'm hoping combat will have a bit more variety but I always expected this game to play like KH with Noctis as the only playable character and the rest of the cast would be A.I. it's an Action-RPG, they have always had you controlling one character with A.I. partners since the days of Tales of Phantasia, Star Ocean 1, and Secret of Mana on the SNES. KH games have never allowed you to use the partner characters in battle so why would you think that Versus XIII would be any different?
    It's a bummer to hear because there initially was character switching in versus 13, (plus you've always been able to switch party members in FF)
    AND, the e3 trailer 2013 and 2011 ff15 trailer showed us switching to prompto in 3rd person shooting mode ;_;

Now it feels like they've taken a fun mechanic away

Plus on top of that, the battle system, is not KH style anymore.
    It's like playing ff12 without being able to switch characters.
    They showed you could control Prompto for a short whole in a specific situation. They did the same with Ignis in the live gameplay footage.

Sounds to me like we're getting a lazy, superficial tour through pretty scenery.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    Yeah 'control the leader' I'm used to since that's what we got in the last couple FF games and how RPGs are going in general. I'm more annoyed that the 'leader' has to always be Noctis. In KH it worked because Sora was the 'chosen one' and the party members were more for support, although recent games have been moving in the direction of having more playable characters. In ME it works because you are playing your avatar and are experiencing the game through his eyes. For this to work in FFXV Noctis has to be a very strong and dynamic character with a variety of abilities (to accommodate a variety of play styles) so I'm hoping he's not another one-dimensional Lightning.
    Noctis is the only character with super cool powers and is also the only character who can equip every single weapon type. So here's hoping.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I'm hoping combat will have a bit more variety but I always expected this game to play like KH with Noctis as the only playable character and the rest of the cast would be A.I. it's an Action-RPG, they have always had you controlling one character with A.I. partners since the days of Tales of Phantasia, Star Ocean 1, and Secret of Mana on the SNES. KH games have never allowed you to use the partner characters in battle so why would you think that Versus XIII would be any different?
    I didn't expect Versus XIII to be different but I did expect Final Fantasy XV to be different. And now that they are the same the expectations have changed even if the game hasn't.

Anyway, it has to be true that you'll have more control over your party choices than in KH and maybe you can influence them directly through the pause menu or hotkeys like in Mass Effect. Setting a few gambits with no direct control during the flow of battle just isn't going to cut it and I can't imagine they'd regress like that.

Also Noctis may end up being a badass. I can dig super cool powers and multiple weapons.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries

Eh... I don't really care for this. If they say this I hope it's more FFXIII-esque in that even though there's Auto-Battle that does pretty much all command-inputting for you, there's still the option of choosing everything manually, and there's more to do than just spam Auto-Battle. Some good boss fights can make all the difference here.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by FFFFsephychibi View Post

It's a bummer to hear because there initially was character switching in versus 13, (plus you've always been able to switch party members in FF)
    AND, the e3 trailer 2013 and 2011 ff15 trailer showed us switching to prompto in 3rd person shooting mode ;_;

Now it feels like they've taken a fun mechanic away
    As The White Wizard of Fynn pointed out, the current gameplay video shows you switching to other party members to pull off special moves and finishers so there is no reason to believe this is the case at the moment.

Plus on top of that, the battle system, is not KH style anymore.
    It's like playing ff12 without being able to switch characters.
    I disagree, the combat I've seen is very reminiscent of KH's battle system, the FFXII comment only pertains to the interface of the game where the Gambit system allowed the player to not have to fuss with too many menus by setting up the A.I. to do it for you which frankly isn't that different from most Action-RPGs. Basically, he's explaining that you won't be raped by goblins while trying to scroll down a menu looking for that cure spell because you'll already have it set up by buttons and A.I. prompts. You know unlock KH1 where the menu system made doing anything that wasn't button mashing a chore and an easy way to let enemies and bosses get a free hit on you.

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    I didn't expect Versus XIII to be different but I did expect Final Fantasy XV to be different. And now that they are the same the expectations have changed even if the game hasn't.

Anyway, it has to be true that you'll have more control over your party choices than in KH and maybe you can influence them directly through the pause menu or hotkeys like in Mass Effect. Setting a few gambits with no direct control during the flow of battle just isn't going to cut it and I can't imagine they'd regress like that.

Also Noctis may end up being a badass. I can dig super cool powers and multiple weapons.
    Honestly I never bothered with the hotkey nonsense in ME and I've always felt the Gambit System was well designed and could easily be expanded in future installments, of anything it spoiled me on tolerating other games with A.I. partners because it offered far greater control, so personally its a welcome return if the designers feel we have to deal with A.I. partners, I'd rather have some real control over it after dealing with the nonsense from XIII.

Versus XIII was always touted as a very different FF experience, hell Nomura even said it wasn't a numbered title because it was going to be radically different game from traditional FFs so when SE decided to bite the bullet and make it FFXV, I didn't expect that to change and I'm just finding it surprising to see so many people feel it was suppose to.. Frankly, I feel that everything I've seen and heard about the game is a vast improvement over what we were handed last gen.

I'm not too fussed with the action combat, it makes things more exciting. However, I just hope that battles require some deep strategy and not just button mashing.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Yeah, this news worries me a bit. I hope we're just all misunderstanding or it's a bad translation.

See that? I was a lot more excited when it was a mishmash of the KH and FFXII battle systems.

I'm taking it all with a grain of salt though. I don't think we'll have quite the right idea of how it plays until that demo comes out.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Honestly I never bothered with the hotkey nonsense in ME and I've always felt the Gambit System was well designed and could easily be expanded in future installments, of anything it spoiled me on tolerating other games with A.I. partners because it offered far greater control, so personally its a welcome return if the designers feel we have to deal with A.I. partners, I'd rather have some real control over it after dealing with the nonsense from XIII.
    I'm happy to see that return as well, but again, in FFXII you could switch the party member you controlled on the fly and input individual commands to party members as needed. An expansion of the gambit system would be welcome, but not at the cost of flexibility to adjust tactics in real time.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

My guess is that you may still be able to switch out party members on the fly its just they have predetermined set-ups. It will most likely be like KH where only Sora (or in some games who you can actually control) has customization and the others will be more straightforward besides A.I. set-ups and probably changing out finishers. I have a feeling this game's customization won't be far from KHII.

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Welp. At least this makes XII look good in comparison.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

XII was great, Momiji

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    XII was great, Momiji
    What's this? Someone dates deny XII's greatness?

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I stand by what I say

http://www.reddit.com/r/FinalFantasy..._ffxvs_combat/

"Note that the game apparatus according to the present invention can cast various attacks based on the correspondence between positional conditions and attack methods set by the player even when the same operating button is pressed;however, it is also possible, for example, to switch, BY A PLAYER'S OPERATION, between a game mode to which the present invention is applied and in which various attacks can be cast based on the correspondence between positional conditions and attack methods set by the player, AND A NORMAL GAME MODE IN WHICH VARIOUS ATTACKS CAN BE CAST BY THE PLAYER BY PRESSING A PLURALITY OF BUTTONS."
    This patent seems to indicate that there are two modes of combat, the one-button gambit-like system of control, or what seems to be a more active, kingdom hearts like combat system.

I guess it will all be speculation until we get our hands on the demo