Thread: I'm new!!!

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

Default I'm new!!!

I'm new to this game, and most aspects of MMO's in general.

The last two I tried were EverQuest (oh yeah, I said that.) and WoW a looooonnnnggggg time ago, and I just didn't get into them.

First, I'd like to thank 0_o for his kindness the other day. He ran by and gave me a nice chunk of money like a warp speed Robin Hood.

Now for questions. When you're talking to me, I'll have lots of newb questions and you should probably address me like this. Feel free to refer me to the threads where this stuff is already answered. Ahem.

1) I selected my character race and sex randomly, I couldn't make up my mind. From their I went with the pugilist. I'm a level 9 or 10 or whatever pleb/douchenozzle. My character punches things until they fall down, then I take their stuff. I concentrate my bullying around the Ul'dah regions. Do any other characters in that level range care to join me in beating up the local flora and fauna?

2) What's up with this housing situation thing? I think I picked up some quest where I'm supposed to enter some housing region for something, and I basically have no clue what that is or what's going on. I don't think they want me to punch the houses, so I'm already lost. Plus I don't think I can enter those areas unless I'm part of a certain group anyway.

3) Since I'm a newb, I see lots of other newbs. Should I be talent scouting? I hear there's a call to get more people in our little group. What should I look for? Can I even invite them, or is that reserved for higher level characters?

16 views, and not a single reply.

Will anyone help me beat things up? Will my character remain a homeless newb? Can I drag other newbs into our super secret club house? Do I have an evil twin? Where in the world is Carmen San Diego?

Tune in next time to learn that there still aren't any responses to these and more questions.

i n v i s i b l e Tech Admin o_O's Avatar
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Humphrey Squibbles (Sargatanas)

I'll reply!

I'll help you beat stuff up! Be aware that randomly killing stuff will be a slow way to gain levels, if that's your goal. Your fastest ways to exp are:
    - Do quests; main story will be plenty for your first class and should keep you leveled enough for each subsequent quest.
    - Once you advance in the main story quests, you'll get a hunting log, which is a good source of cheap experience for 1-2 full levels out of every 10.
    - When you hit 15 in the main story quests you'll get access to your first dungeon, which is by far the fastest way of leveling.
    - Some people use levequests to level and it works, but you're probably better off using your leve allowance to level crafts.

Some general monking tips:
    - Read the tooltips for your abilities, specifically the bit that says where the attack is most effective from. A lot of monks' abilities have increased strength when delivered from the rear or flanks of the target, which is why you see a lot of monks dancing around the enemy.
    - When you're soloing content, it's not really possible to take advantage of these positional bonuses because the mobs will turn to face you but when you're doing content with a tank holding the mobs still, get in the habit of taking advantage of them as soon as possible. It will noticeably increase your damage output.
    - If you can, try to strafe when dancing around the enemy. If you run normally rather than strafe, you will spend a big chunk of the fight facing away from the target, and while you're not facing the target your autoattacks will never go off. If you're playing on PS3 I'm not sure how to do it, but if you're on PC the default keybindings are Q and E.

For housing, I think you must've picked up the quest to enter the Goblet zone, which is Thanalan's housing district. You can complete the quest by going to the south of Western Thanalan, the entrance to the Goblet is marked on the map. La Noscea and the Black Shroud also have similar housing districts with matching quests in Lower La Noscea and Central Shroud. By the way, our FC has a house in the Gridania district, and you should be able to teleport there even if you haven't been there before.

Finally, when it comes to recruiting people, if you party up with someone who you like then by all means ask them if they want to join up. A lot of people already have a FC at this point, but it doesn't hurt to ask. We're not sending random blind invitations to random people but so long as a member of our FC invites them or if they seek us out asking to join, they're most welcome to join.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

What is your name in game? I will come and hunt you down and give you things. I will even stand around and heal you while you kill things.

Cos I'm nice

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I just hit Level 15 but I'm scared to do dungeons though ;~;

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Don't be scared, I will do them with you You need to unlock the quest but just give me a shout in game when you're ready and I'll do it with you

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Oki thank you. Right now I'm getting their crfatings up to level 10 and then I'm gone for the week so it'll probably be next week! Thank you for the help!

Also he lies, he is level 11

Thanks faceMike and Locky.

I wound up with a catgirl, which at first was amusing because apparently Squeenix thinks catgirl monks should dress like naughty schoolgirls. Once I finally managed to get her into clothing a little more appropriate for actual fighting instead of Jello wrestling she looks more like a monk. The character name is Daphnee Orion.

Right now I'm performing those little mini-quests that pop up, and joining in Fates that crop up. I'll have to see where my progress is on the story quests. I fought my first little boss, but I suspect my progress is minimal.

I'll try to keep the tips for monk combat in mind. I'll also try to find the housing district. Like shion said, we'll be gone next week, but when I get back I'll start checking things out more.

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

Any time you're on and see me on (check your flist) hit me up. I'll be leveling literally everything, so I should have something around whatever level you happen to be at. When you get back, we'll punch stuff together.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Hey whenever either of you wanna do a dungeon or whatever just ask in the linkshell! I'll definitely come along if I'm on. It's fun to do dungeons with FC members, it's why I joined c: