Thread: So I've been thinking about this series...

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default So I've been thinking about this series...

And I don't think I like it. I mean I really like KHII, but then I tried the first one (3 times) and I tried Re:Coded, and I tried 358/2 days and I just... don't like them. So out of 4 games in the series I've tried, I like one.

I feel like I should like the series because ITS KINGDOM HEARTS and I adore the second one but... I dunno. And the story is getting really hard to follow and the games are on this platform and that platform.

Maybe the Kingdom Hearts series just isn't for me.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Just out of curiosity, what was it about KHII that you liked over the other games?

I can say, Re:Coded is an awful game and most people find 358/2 days to be pretty boring in terms of gameplay and the mission format. I love it though. First game is still one of my favorites due to nostalgia, but KHII did make a lot of improvements in the gameplay I feel. Birth by Sleep has my favorite gameplay of the series so far.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

It was just fun. I liked the world and the characters and how the characters changed outfits on each world and how the menu command changed on each world. It was easy, it was simple to pick up, the story interested me, the different worlds were fun.

I know its weird because the games are pretty similar, but for some reason the others just don't do it for me

Articles
    Blog Entries

The story being all over the place and all the different platforms are pretty common complaints, so you're not alone there. I only played the first game, and while I enjoyed it, I never felt compelled to play any of the other games. Despite all that, Kingdom Hearts was actually the inspiration for my longest running RP forum back in 2011.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well even if you can't get into the series, at least you always have II to go back and play if the mood strikes! I love the series dearly, but it has a lot of faults.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Kingdom Hearts is a guilty pleasure for me, I kind of hate the plot and the direction the series has been going in for a while and the gameplay is hit or miss sometimes but I still find it fun even if I feel the story and gameplay often betray my expectations.

I think the biggest difference between KHII and the ones you tried shion is that KHII didn't really bother with platforming whereas the other games make it more prominent in the game, and frankly I don't feel KH has ever done the platforming sections well...

YOU DONT KNOW YET!?!?!? FFFFsephychibi's Avatar

Shion, I think it's okay if you didn't like any of the spin off games. I have played them all, but they are nothing compared to KH1 and KH2. KH3 will most likely bring back that magic you felt in KH2 (at least that's what I'm hoping)

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I do plan to try it (especially if I have to pay several hundred dollars just for FFXV ) so who knows, I might love it

I just got to thinking and I realized that I seem to like the idea of this series more than I do. 1/4 games is not a great record

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

KH 3D isn't that bad as a normal continuation. But all the other games kinda throw the story for a loop and it bleeds into 2 and DDD

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

I've really enjoyed the ones I've played (I, II, CoM, Re:CoM, and BbS) but yeah, after the first game the story turns into an absolute train wreck that's a headache to follow and is full of plotholes. I also miss I and II's gameplay where you could just swing your keyblade to fight instead of forcing you to use stupid decks of some sort.

I really need to get around to playing the ones I've yet to play so that I have the "whole" story before KHIII comes along.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Kingdom Hearts is a guilty pleasure for me; the game play is hit or miss sometimes
    Agreed on both counts.

People say the Action button was just a second attack button: "just another means of button-mashing"... but it was my favorite part of KH2. It was awesome to trigger cutscene-like attacks during battle. It made it seem more like a plausible story. Real life combat doesn't follow the rule of hit and wait or even of hit-it-until-it's-dead. I mean, the latter is a viable method, but it isn't the strategy most employed by champions. It's the method employed by idiots. Again, that may seem like a mark against the button-mashing... and, well, it is. I haven't played Birth By Sleep because I haven't been able to get my PSP fixed. But I'm sure I would like it as I understand that all of the buttons are used during battle and not just for jumping and blocking.

I kind of hate the plot and the direction the series has been going in for a while
    I do not disapprove of the plot becoming more and more convoluted. It reminds me of my own work. I've been working on it since the release of KH2. And it's only 5% based on Kingdom Hearts (... all of the characters have expies in my work). The other 95%, I later came to learn, is disturbingly similar to Trinity Blood minus the vampires.

Er, my point being that the more details they add to the series, the more it interests me. I just wish we could get a bit of resolution every now and again. Maybe we'll get it with KH3. I just damned well wish I didn't need a PS4 to play it.
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

I with ya. I enjoyed both KH 1 and 2, but the spin offs just didn't do it for me like the main titles did. I own all the spin offs but I haven't played half of them because I'm not interested in backgrounds, subplots and convoluted stories about characters that aren't Sora, Donald, goofy, Kairi and Riku.

I honestly have skipped a lot of the side-games. I'm interested in playing the 3DS one because I heard it's quite a fun game, but so far the only games I've really liked are KH1, KH2 and BBS. To get the whole overall story of the series I mainly just read up about it, and have watched some Let's Plays whilst doing other things.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

I wonder if I would have enjoyed the second one. I did not enjoy the first one for more than like 5 - 10 hours. I think I only visited like 2 worlds before calling it quits. And nothing about it ever made me feel compelled to try any of the others. But I never really heard anything real about other games other than a recent recommendation thread saying Birth By Sleep is probably one of the better ones in the series (Is that the PSP one?). Before that, all I heard everyone say was just "its awesome". Which I heard a million times over other games that I felt were pretty empty and just had blathering fans that didn't know how to articulate their love properly. Pokemon and Zelda had fans like that. So did Monster Hunter. All games I tried because "they're awesome". And found out rather quickly they were not. Not sure why I tried them before giving KH another go, but that's what happened. I may try another in the series, like BbS or KH2. But I highly doubt I'll ever become a fan

I also get the impression it had more impact on others because they were generally younger than I was when the series launched, and therefor they hadn't been burned out on Disney, or that FF seemed to had lost its way by then. So maybe my age has something to do with it