Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Healing at save points

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Seiken Densetsu 3 says hi .

In either case, I think it depends on the game. Some game makes item and resource management and integral part of the gameplay, others focus on other things to make the game challenging.

Tales of Xillia 2 restores up to 50% of max hp at save points, but no more, and no tp. I'm fine with that.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries

Really depends on the game. The tent item more or less makes most FF games have this feature, until X, X-2 and XII had it naturally, although I might have preferred it if XII didn't have it. You already recover so much just by running around in that game that it seems a bit overboard. But for most games in the series it worked out pretty well.

There are some advantages and disadvantages to having those from a game design perspective as well. If you wanted to make a dungeon that has the player managing their resources to stay alive, and save points recover you completely, well then you basically need to have no save point in that dungeon which in turn can make the dungeon frustrating. Omega Ruins and Henne Mines Depths come to mind. On the other hand it can make sure that players aren't beat to hell when you don't want them to be (like right before a boss) just because they try to save their items as much as possible.