- Noctis
    - Stella
    - Luna
    - Cor Leonis
    - Ignis

Not so keen on...

- Prompto
    - Gladiolus
    Yeah, basically my sentiments, although the rest of Ignis's name is super dumb. I'm warming up to the name Prompto though.
    Returners Represent!

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by The White Wizard of Fynn View Post
    Stella Nox means Night Star, while Fleuret is a Fleuret, a fencing foil
    Noctis Lucis Caelum - this one is really botched. I'm guessing they meant something like "Light in the Night Sky"
    Ignis Stupeo Scientia probably was supposed to mean "Magnificent Fire (flame?) of Knowledge"
    Prompto Argentum - Quicksilver (this one would be fine, I think. Cases might be off but it's been a couple years since I had Latin so I can't remember XP I know the order is wrong and the gender may be wrong)
    Cor Leonis - Lion Heart (now THIS is done correctly)
    Gladiolus Amicitia - Little Sword of Friendship
    Night Star Foil would be one way to translate it, which could mean that it's an extended bilingual pun implying that they plan to use the Stella character as a literary foil. She would probably be the foil to Noctis but it could be a thing with Luna (though: see below). While I think all this Latin is pretentious in a Final Fantasy, I do think this pun is pretty cool. I hope it's meaningful and not just some random pretentious crap.

(though Nox is nominative, it could very well be working as a predicate, meaning it's leaning on Stella. I don't know why it wouldn't be in the genitive, other than the fact that there's already a Noctis, and well now that I mention it, that's probably a good enough reason. If Stella is really meant as a foil to Noctis, then it would make sense for her to be a Nox to his Noctis. It's perfect.)

Noctis's name works as it is. Why are you thinking that Night's Luminous Sky doesn't work? The luminous sky of the night. It makes sense to me. Noctis and Lucis are both genitive, with Noctis being possessive and Lucis being a describing or defining adjectival case (hence "luminous," the adjective, in place of "light," the noun. "Lit" would be more accurate, but doesn't sound as nice).

Ignis Stupeo Scientia is interesting because Ignis is a bit ambiguous, and because Scientia is either nominative, which means it's the subject, which would put the whole thing in a very different light, or it's ablative, which would both make for a very difficult translation and be very intriguing. If it is ablative, the phrase would mean something like: Fire Knowingly Astounds/Stuns/Stupefies. There's no preposition, but it could also mean something like: Fire Astounds [with/by/awayfrom] Knowledge, which amounts to the same thing as the other. If Ignis is genitive, then Scientia would be nominative and the phrase would be: Fire's Knowledge Astounds.
    Last edited by chionos; 10-05-2014 at 05:47 AM.

I like these meaningful name's concept. Brilliant idea.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

i can't help but think that meaningful names are a bit tryhard

maybe it could have worked if they were at least a bit subtle.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

There are so many meaningful names in Final Fantasy.

Princess Sarah -> Sarah means princess
    King Regis -> Regis means King
    Noctis, Stella, Luna, Igni, et cetera for a natural based theme just like Terra, Cloud, Aerith, Squall, Laguna, Raine, Tidus, Yuna, Lightning, Snow, et cetera.

So basically I have no problem with it. Latin origin is pretty new though. Pretty, not totally.

The main villain being called Dies like Day or Heliosm like sun makes sense, yes.

Worth pointing out that Helios is Greek, not Latin. Latin equivalent is Sol.

By "worth pointing out", I mean I'm a pretentious ancient Greek lover.

I'm discussing my 108, er, 111 favorite games of all time in THIS THREAD so go check it out and join the conversation!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by metagloria View Post
    Worth pointing out that Helios is Greek, not Latin. Latin equivalent is Sol.

By "worth pointing out", I mean I'm a pretentious ancient Greek lover.
    As a mythology geek, i'd like to point out it was also the name of the sun god.

I did not say it was Latin. The other names are. About Helios I was not totally sure.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    Ignis Stupeo Scientia = Fire Science
    Prompto Argentum = Silver Ready
    Gladiolus Amicitia = Knife friends...

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by The White Wizard of Fynn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    Ignis Stupeo Scientia = Fire Science
    Prompto Argentum = Silver Ready
    Gladiolus Amicitia = Knife friends...
    Ignis Stupeo Scientia probably was supposed to mean "Magnificent Fire (flame?) of Knowledge"
    Prompto Argentum - Quicksilver (this one would be fine, I think. Cases might be off but it's been a couple years since I had Latin so I can't remember XP I know the order is wrong and the gender may be wrong)
    Gladiolus Amicitia - Little Sword of Friendship
    I guess is how it actually is supposed to be, Shiny. I just translated what I could with Google Translate.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Kurisu Kazama (Sargatanas)

Wait, Prompto Stupeo? That just makes me think of stupid.
    Last edited by fat_moogle; 03-11-2015 at 08:59 PM.
    <a href=http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m3/Valentine-06/Signatures/fat_mooglesig2.png target=_blank>http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...mooglesig2.png</a>

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

I know meaningful names aren't exactly a new thing, but I still think the ones found in FF15 are not very good. Meaningful names work when the words are actually used as names in the real world, or at least sound like they could have been real names. Such as Sarah or Stella.

Agreed. Prompto and Gladiolus still sound ridiculous. Prompto sounds like a rejected Hobbit name. I didn't have this problem so much with names in the past, except with weird pronunciations. Tifa pronounced Teefa is fine. Tiffa sounds dumb to me. Same with Tittus as Tidus. And Yoofie as Yuffie. So maybe I'm reading this names wrong and they're pronounced differently than they look? Is there a way to pronounce Gladiolus that doesn't make it sound ridiculous and that it could be a real name for someone?

Articles

FFXIV Character

Kurisu Kazama (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Vyk View Post
    Is there a way to pronounce Gladiolus that doesn't make it sound ridiculous and that it could be a real name for someone?
    Maybe he's really a Gladdis.

#plottwist
    <a href=http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m3/Valentine-06/Signatures/fat_mooglesig2.png target=_blank>http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...mooglesig2.png</a>

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Maybe he is really GladOS