View Poll Results: Most overlooked entry?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

5 55.56%
  • No

4 44.44%

Thread: The most overlooked entry...

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default The most overlooked entry...

I pretty much feel this is the most overlooked entry in the franchise. It's neither reviled or loved by the fans, it just seems kind of there for a lot of people. Do you agree or disagree?

Articles
    Blog Entries

Yes. I'm just an observer when it comes to the topic and it seems pretty clear it's overlooked. I still want to emulate the original game for the NES some time and then try out the remake. Preferably after replaying I and II.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

I would say that 2 is more often overlooked than 3.
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

For most of the games, you'll find at least one person out there who played that particular game as their first, and you never forget your first, and most people's firsts are their favorites.

FFIII isn't anyone's first that I know of. So its chances of being anybody's favorite are very very low.

It also doesn't have the player base that other games have because of its limited/late stateside release. I find it likely that the majority of people who have actually played it are among the more hardcore of FF fans, and it's therefore less likely to be hated on, because there's not really a whole lot for a FF fan to hate. It's a kind of middleground title. I mean, at the time, if the whole world had gotten it back in 1990, then this conversation would be very different. But instead, westerners didn't get a chance to play it till 2006, and by that time anything special or unique about FFIII was already a part of some other game.

FFIII was first at several things, but it doesn't feel that way. None of us remember it that way, because none of us played it in its rightful place in FF history. The novelty of arriving to the party with fresh beer after everyone's already drunk and passed out really isn't noteworthy.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by VeloZer0 View Post
    I would say that 2 is more often overlooked than 3.
    I disagree, people will talk about FFII when they are bitching about its poor design choices or the fact it has the first cast of named heroes but no one really ever talks about FFIII beyond being that other NES game that isn't the classic first or it's troutty sequel.

To go off what chionos was saying, it never helped that its major claim to fame, the Job Class system, was overshadowed by player being exposed to the more advanced versions of later installments.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I played it and I see why. It wasn't anything special. Every time a thread comes up and something is mentioned to it in regards to its story I always say "That happened?" despite it being the last FF game I played.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

I don't think it helped that it was the last one to the Outside Japan party.

Well, I've started playing it twice (NDS & PSP versions only though), but I never finished my playthroughs. It's not a bad game, however, in my opinion it's not particularly outstanding either. But I'd say that FF I and II are just as overlooked, probably because they're so "old-fashioned" and many FF fans that I see posting in communities only seem to care about VII (maybe also VI) and the entries following it.

FFXIV Character

Umami Spitebreath (Kujata)

i feel it could be special if the whole game was like the doga/unei arc. it's definitely standard, but ... that's about it?

FFXIV Character

Laurelin Kementari (Sargatanas)

It's not outstanding because it is played today. Had people been able to play it back in 1990, they would've seen it for the revolutionary entry it was.