Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Would you name your kid after a game/fictional Character?

Blog Entries

I actually know someone who named her kids after Zack and Cloud (because she commissioned me a drawing of them as their Christmas present, it was so sweet and heart warming!)

I would definitely named my kids after fictional characters as long they are good names and hold a sweet sound in them. For example, Zelda, Marth, Luigi, Midna, Cecil, Firion, Bartz, Terra...

I just realized I need to adopt a lot of cats and named them after my favorite characters! XD
    Harmony and Distortion coexist together to support every creature and landscape in the world, including the forces of good and evil. That is how the world keeps on living with a strong balanced composition.
    ~Amanda's Juxtaposition Theroy

Sudden Reaction when both Amanda and Dragonite
    see a romantic Final Fantasy love scene:
    Amanda: Aww, this is so romantic! They would make a great couple together!
    Dragonite: Kiss, Kiss, Kiss, Kiss... C'MON! KISS ALREADY!
    Amanda: Drag, you have no patience whatsoever.

FFXIV Character

Umami Spitebreath (Kujata)

i literally got a legal name change and my last name is the same of that as character in a crappy series vampire/werewolf movies.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

If its a name I like then yeah sure. Especially from like the Suikoden series there's a good number of normal names. Millie is a good one.

Also, a character from Fire Emblem is named Cherche. I looked up the pronunciation because I had no idea how it was pronounced, but I think we were wrong. Anyways, the way he pronounced it was like "Church" which I thought would be a stupid name for a child but it has since grown on me leaps and bounds and I especially love the spelling. But then I realized that if I do have a girl and name her that, she'll always have people not knowing how to pronounce her name and I know from experience that that can get really annoying, really fast.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Why would I want my child to live in the shadow of something else? I'd rather name him or her something so that people can remember them not the fictional character that came before them.

Blog Entries

I can't imagine anything cringier.

there was a picture here

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, but all names are derived from something else unless you just invent a name.out of the blue. I can't imagine I would ever name any kid I had after a Final Fantasy character, but I have always liked the name Roland which I had first exposure to in Browning ' poem and later in The Dark Tower series. The name Orlando derives from there as well. I don't think that's particularly cringe-worthy.

Also Auron is a cool name.

Signature by rubah. I think.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I would invent a name. The name I'm thinking of most likely already exists, but I know it's not the name of any well-known fictional character so that's fine.

Sure, why not? I know an old lady named Zora. XD

There's nothing wrong with naming a kid after a fictional character. They're just as likely to live in the shadow of a real person they were named after; Muhammad, Jesus, and Alexander are a few good examples, I doubt most people can live up to those names.

I wouldn't give my kid a Japanese name though, if only because I'm not Japanese, and also because I don't live in a Japanese community. That's just my personal taste however. Something like Yuna is fine, but Kasumi is so obviously Japanese, that if you aren't, it's going to turn heads. On the other hand, a name like Bakura has several origins and meanings, and could easily be given to any boy; it's unique enough to stand out, yet doesn't sound too much like any one foreign culture.

Besides, lots of people are already named after fictional characters. Friedrich and Arthur are (largely) fictional characters that many people are named after. Naming your kid Sephiroth however, is absolutely retarded. It would be like naming your kid Mjølnir. I imagine many Orthodox Jews wouldn't appreciate it, especially considering the meaning of the word and it's significance in their beliefs.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Old Manus View Post
    I can't imagine anything cringier.
    Says the man who has twins named Leon and Claire.

Source: My Old Manus fanfiction.

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

"Leon! Claire! Stop making baby Jill into a sandwich!"

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
    I would invent a name. The name I'm thinking of most likely already exists, but I know it's not the name of any well-known fictional character so that's fine.
    This is the thinking that gives us babies with names like North.

I having an odd name, Brady(okay not incredibly odd, but easily made fun of, god damn I hate the Brady Bunch), got made fun of a lot as a kid. So I think I'd be very conscious about my kids' names. Nothing unique and weird, but I would want to give them something meaningful. I could see me naming them something more normal, but still game inspired, Lulu, Leon, but I could never name a kid Cloud or Sora, etc.

And especially no weird names like North West, like come on if that kid wasn't rich as heck they'd get humiliated.

We toyed with the idea. Our first son was nearly Vash (or Vasher), his name is Ashton. Our second boy was nearly Odin (FF tie in, but mostly because of my ancestry), his name is Owen. I'm looking forward to number 3.

A friend of mine "stole" Alexander from me. It was the name I used (when it fit, Alex when it didn't) for all of my RPG characters (starting as far back as FFI, Dragon Warrior, Zelda, etc.). In FFI, my Fighter/Knight was always "Alex". We were in elementary school when those games came out. After playing at my house he started using Alexander (Alex) too. He named his boy Alexander.

I know someone that named their son Raistlin.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

My name is Ashton

I'm a girl though. And there is an Ashton in a Star Ocean game

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Vasher View Post
    I know someone that named their son Raistlin.
    You know them? I would've thought Raistlin's parents would have to be at least 150 by now.