Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pros and Cons of the XIII Saga

Default Pros and Cons of the XIII Saga

This discussion is split from the XV and Type-0 talk show thread ~Scotty_ffgamer

Quote Originally Posted by Fox_ View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal_Khan View Post
    Final Fantasy is supposed to be about a compelling story and challenging gameplay, not zippers.
    Those things aren't mutually exclusive.
    You're not one of those FFXIII Apologist are you?

I love how you make it sound so evil. Anyway, not 'apologist,' no, although I do think it gets a bit more hate than it really deserves. And of all the problems XIII had, an over abundance of zippers was not one of them!

I'm kinda interested to see how the premise of 'royal boy band saves the world' turns out. Sounds fun ^^
    Last edited by Fox; 09-29-2014 at 12:50 AM.

I think it does deserve the hate. Not only because it was, itself, a sub-par game(by my FF standards) but the sequels it spawned were even worse. We should all pray for Square Enix because if this game doesn't 'bring it' i'm never giving square anymore of $money$. ...Unless it has Hiroyuki Ito's name on it.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I actually enjoyed the combat of XIII and XIII-2

Articles

I love how you make it sound so evil. Anyway, not 'apologist,' no, although I do think it gets a bit more hate than it really deserves. And of all the problems XIII had, an over abundance of zippers was not one of them!

I'm kinda interested to see how the premise of 'royal boy band saves the world' turns out. Sounds fun ^^
    Agree. Apparently there exists some games that people are simply not allowed to like...

Quote Originally Posted by Uchu View Post
    Agree. Apparently there exists some games that people are simply not allowed to like...
    XIII's story was a train wreck, most of the characters were unbearable(Snow, Hope, Sazh, Vanille), and it was extremely linear. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion but i am always surprised to hear someone liked this game. Also imagine what Square could have put their time and resources into if they hadn't bothered with the sequels(neither sold well). Lightning was a decent lead tho, i'll admit to that.

Articles

XIII's story was a train wreck, most of the characters were unbearable(Snow, Hope, Sazh, Vanille), and it was extremely linear. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion but i am always surprised to hear someone liked this game. Also imagine what Square could have put their time and resources into if they hadn't bothered with the sequels(neither sold well). Lightning was a decent lead tho, i'll admit to that.
    You say everyone is entitled to their opinion but at the same time continue to speak (type) as if your opinion is factually correct. I'm not expecting everyone to start every sentence with "this is my opinion...", but I think people can be more respectful of others ideas of fun and enjoyment.
    Saying that, anyone who has had the displeasure of listening to me talk about FFXIII knows that I still think it had issues, but I don't go around trying to tell others how wrong they are for not seeing things in the same way as me.

You didn't like it, that's cool, and while it makes zero difference to my enjoyment of it, your post comes off as a bit "I get it that you guys have opinions, but your wrong and i'm right".

Finally, I don't want to start a debate or argument, but I must say I disagree with pretty much all of what you said (minus it being linear and Lightning being a good lead).

Finally, I don't want to start a debate or argument, but I must say I disagree with pretty much all of what you said (minus it being linear and Lightning being a good lead).
    So you agree with half of what i said?? I stated 4 flaws of the game, and you agreed w/ 2 of those... thats 1/2. Anyways, everything I said was clearly my opinions.

Articles

So you agree with half of what i said?? I stated 4 flaws of the game, and you agreed w/ 2 of those... thats 1/2. Anyways, everything I said was clearly my opinions.

No, when replying I was also taking into account your previous posts and comments, which I don't agree with, so as I said 'I disagree with pretty much all of what you said' in one way or another. However, I can see how quoting just your direct reply to me could mislead you into focusing on just that one segment. But thats beside the point anyway.

Regarding your statement of saying what you said being 'clearly' your opinions, that wasn't what I was disputing. I was saying that the way you presented them came off as if you thought your opinions were the 'right' ones. You kind of jumped down my throat for just mentioning that some games seem off limits for people to enjoy. I thought this was unnecessary, hence my response to your post.

Final Fantasy is supposed to be about a compelling story and challenging gameplay, not zippers.

Those things aren't mutually exclusive.

I think it does deserve the hate. Not only because it was, itself, a sub-par game(by my FF standards) but the sequels it spawned were even worse. We should all pray for Square Enix because if this game doesn't 'bring it' i'm never giving square anymore of $money$. ...Unless it has Hiroyuki Ito's name on it.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I don't think it deserves "hate" like some give it. It wasn't a great FF but it wasn't so horrible it needs to be hated on. In fact it brought a lot of new fans to the series.

Could be better but it could have been a lot worse.

I'd probably concede to eventually give it a chance, but unfortunately I already know the writing isn't very stellar, and sadly that's a big one for me. I don't expect both an amazing story and realistically fleshed out and deep dynamic characters. But at least a little bit of one and/or the other. And I've heard too much that the story makes no sense, too many loose ends, too much nonsense, and from what I've seen, I don't think any of the characters are fleshed out or very deep or believable or relatable :/ I've watched and read many reviews and even the people who like the games and characters seem to agree that the characters have no subtlety or relatability and the story is pretty ridiculous. Most people that enjoy the game usually just enjoy it for the visuals and battle mechanics. But I'll be the first to admit my standards are pretty high, and I've turned my nose up at better games

Articles

FFXIV Character

Kurisu Kazama (Sargatanas)

I think you should give it a chance, Vyk. You can pick XIII up dirt cheap now, so if you don't like it then it isn't like you've wasted a fortune.

I've played through XIII twice, and all this talk of it is actually making me want to play it again. There are so many other games coming out soon though, and unfortunately I don't have a copy of the game anymore so I'd have to buy it preowned. Plus I'm already playing FFX HD at the moment.

At the end of the day if you don't play it yourself then you're never going to be able to form a true opinion of the game as you'll be too busy listening to all the negativity from others.

Go on. Try it. You know you want to ;p
    <a href=http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m3/Valentine-06/Signatures/fat_mooglesig2.png target=_blank>http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...mooglesig2.png</a>

Vyk, you will not find any good writing in 13. The dialogue in this game is cringeworthy. But if you can get the game game dirt cheap; I say 'go-for-it'. like fatmog said, its the only you will know how you feel about it.

(DISCLAIMER: All opinions expressed in this post are the author's own and do not reflect the views of UCHU.)
    Last edited by Hannibal_Khan; 10-02-2014 at 06:29 AM.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

FFXIII
    Pros: Compelling characters, decent story, promising battle system.
    Cons: Too linear, battles were simplistic, lack of side activities.

FFXIII-2
    Pros: Refined major gripes of battle system, introduced cool new character, non-linear time travel gameplay, more stuff to do.
    Cons: Lack of playable characters, battles more or less the same as XIII, story was horribly and utterly ludicrous.

LR (full disclosure I never played it)
    Pros: Most interesting gameplay of the series, cool 'real time' elements, Lightning fairly customizable.
    Cons: Characters fell flat, story no longer worth caring about.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

I was typing a post out but realised it was pretty much the same as Del's. Just add in "Story fell a bit flat halfway through" and "Takes too long to 'unlock' full gameplay elements" for XIII in cons.