Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ABC's #Selfie

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Default ABC's #Selfie

This aired last night. I was kinda worried from the name and what not but I watched it cause it has Doctor Who's Karen Gillian in it. And I love it! It's amusing and very tongue in cheek about the instant gratification culture.

I also like that they are presenting John Cho as the Love interest. It's not often you see someone of Asian, Korean in this case, descent as your main romantic interest. So that's great too. You know, diversity. Plus I just love John Cho in anything.

It was amusing and I needed a good sitcom as nothing's really caught my eye of late since so many have ended after long seasons or only had a short run. But #Selfie is funny and has enough self depreciating humor that I enjoy it.

Anyone else watch it? Thoughts?
    Last edited by Freya; 10-01-2014 at 07:53 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I didn't watch it, but intend to. Maybe tomorrow!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I forgot it was on and I doubt I'll have time to catch up on the computer With my line of work it's easier just to have the TV running behind me when I'm not using it for something else. Ever since Buffy was cancelled I'm not used to Tuesday having anything on that I want to watch.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

I don't know how I feel about it. I do kind of hate MC, because I do genuinely dislike when people are unable to not be on their phone/connected at any point. Hey we're out to hang out, glad you can detach yourself from the internet for two seconds! But I think that is the point at this stage. I didn't find it particularly funny either, but I think that stems from my immediate revulsion at the MC. Maybe it will ease up as she slowly becomes more tolerable.

I will maybe watch another episode or two (three episode rule!) and decide where to go from there.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Maybe I just identified with it because I once worked with a girl who when introducing herself, she was a holiday hire, she told me she was "kinda efamous so...."

So i'm like "LOL it's chelsea!"

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Yeah, with sitcoms you kind of have to give it 3-5 episodes to really find its stride. The only show I've encountered where it hit the ground running in the pilot was Raising Hope.

Downloading it now!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Alright, just finished the first episode!

I liked it. I thought it moved kind of fast, but it had some good moments. I think it has a lot of potential. HOWEVER, I'm betting it'll be lucky to not get a mid-season cancellation. If it does get picked up for the full season, I wouldn't bank on a second season. I could be wrong, but it's got CANCELLATION written all over it.

One other thought: things I'm reading seem to imply Karen Gillan was using an American accent? What? She definitely sounds full-blown Scottish. I like her a lot, but between this and Guardians of the Galaxy, it's become pretty obvious she has a hard time dropping the accent.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Nope she was definitely working hard to remove that accent. Didn't sound like a Scottish person, just... Just sounded a bit weird, really. Like there were points when she had certain inflection on words, and I was like "Well done getting that American on lolnope", but overall she did not so bad. I guess.

EDIT: Watched part of it again... she definitely has dropped her Scottish accent. It is quite a pronounced difference.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Yeah, I was curious how you thought she sounded, being Scottish yourself. I guess I speak for myself here, but as an American, her accent sounds very blatant (especially in comparison to the rest of the cast). I'm not sure why she needed to get rid of it anyways, since the show is set in NYC.

As for Guardians of the Galaxy, I can't say if she was trying to get rid of her accent or not. Just that it was still pretty clear.

Again: I like Karen Gillan a lot, but I think she'd benefit from working very seriously with a voice coach. And for all I know, she probably does.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

She sounded totally American in Guardians of the Galaxy to me.

I have nothing to add about the show. Will probably not watch it because there are a billion other things on my backlog that interest me more, and I can always just go watch My Fair Lady instead.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Aye, as I put in my edit, I watched a few clips there and she is definitely far removed from a Scottish accent (in those clips, at least). As you said, maybe you can hear it more because she's putting on a fake American accent, and I am just hearing "not the accent she should have".

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Well, Shorty says that she thinks she sounds very American in GotG...I dunno, I definitely didn't even think she was trying to get rid of her accent in GotG.

However, all the reviews I'm reading for #Selfie are implying her accent was awful though. So it seems like she hasn't really found her footing with the accent thing, but doesn't sound like her Scottish self to Scots, either.

I'm willing to admit that part of it could be that I'm just so used to hearing her, I hear her accent always. And it also could be the tonal quality of her voice as well.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Just finished watching the pilot. I ranged from liking it, to annoyed, to not liking it, to it giving me feels, to liking it again. Oh, God, I said feels.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

https://twitter.com/The_Doolio

I like when shows and games go above and beyond with promotion and give their characters real twitters.