Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Noctis will be the ONLY playable character in FFXV

I think we've all got our own criteria on "what a Final Fantasy can be" that has evolved over the years. In my opinion though we need to allow ourselves to stay open minded about this stuff; as long as it works and it's a really good game, then should we call it something else just because the game mechanics have changed? Yes I would like to see the franchise return to its roots every now and then - the last time it really did this was FFIX which, as we all know, was the best in the franchise. But that also doesn't mean it's not OK to push at the perceived boundaries and try something different.

So maybe I'd like FFXVI to try something a bit more traditional; some kind of turn-based system and full control over the entire party. But I don't think that's all Final Fantasy can ever be. Mechanics are just mechanics, they're not the be all and end all of any game. What really matters, at least to me, is how the game makes me feel while playing it. And this is why I'll still defend FFXIII from a certain amount of its criticism, because for all its flaws (and there were many, let's be clear on that) it still felt like a Final Fantasy to me. I still got invested in the world, invested in the systems, invested in (at least a couple of) the characters and choked up a bit at the ending. To me, those feelings - the sum of all the game's parts, whatever they may be - are what I use to determine if something is a worthy Final Fantasy game, rather than a checklist of approved game mechanics.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fox_ View Post
    - Kingdom Hearts
    - Mass Effect
    - Metal Gear Solid
    - Crisis Core
    - Deus Ex
    One of these things is not like the others,
    One of these things just doesn't belong,
    Can you tell which thing is not like the others
    By the time I finish my song?

Quote Originally Posted by Elpizo View Post
    Hype down with about 95%. It's mystifying how, as consoles got more and more powerful, entries in the main series became less and less complex in terms of customization of characters and fighting. Maybe if they focussed less on pretty graphics...
    Final Fantasy always had pretty graphics, though, and the gameplay in a lot of the old games were still good. I don't think a primary focus on graphics is why they're moving in this direction. I think those things are handled by a different team, anyway.

Maybe Square Enix should use the current graphic, stop improving it and focus more on the gameplay. If the graphic that makes switching party member or character difficult, maybe they should downgrade the graphic a bit and focus on the gameplay. If the graphic isn't the problem, well, just make other part member playable Square Enix.
    If it isn't going to happen, that just means it's more like Kingdom Hearts battle system in Final Fantasy theme or universe. Although I enjoy playing Kingdom Hearts 2 in PS2 emulator. I just hope their plan about the unique battle system for Final Fantasy XV works out. But I don't mind with it's current battle system. As long as Square Enix have plan to release it on PC too
    But this is my opinion

And in the screenshot there are four HP bars, which means three party members (other than Noctis) are active or available. Does that mean all party members will follow Noctis, not three like the past Final Fantasy? (Although Final Fantasy 1-2 or 3 has more than three party members active, I think)
    (SPOILER) And yeah I know, Serah and Noel are the only playable character in Final Fantasy XIII-2 and Lightning is the only playable character in Lightning Returns.

I do hope Square Enix put PC logo too.
    And CO-OP support.
    Last edited by DanielCLFFF13; 10-14-2014 at 10:26 PM.

Honestly, my main concern is still whether the story is going to be any good.

And if the English VAs are going to take it seriously, or just phone it in.

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

It's a like a giant joke
    Badum-noctishhh

Sorry

I think its fine
    Lightning returns was just fine
    Mystic quest was just fine