Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Saturday Morning Cartoons are no more

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I enjoyed these as a kid, I had a TV in my room back then, so if I was awake in time for them, I'd just watch TV before I actually had to get up.

I don't pay attention to what counts as a Saturday Morning Cartoon now (even though I still watch cartoons) because It's not really a good time for me (Saturday morning? I'm going to bed by then.), but I enjoyed them as a kid, even though I had other channels with cartoons to watch at anytime. It was just a good way to start the day (though, I still did this on weekdays as well if I was awake in time).

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

What's even sadder was the end of the weekday afternoon cartoon lineups. Now it's news, judge shows & celebrity gossip. R.I.P.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Not in this house! In this house it's Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood! That show is boss.

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Shlup View Post
    Not in this house! In this house it's Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood! That show is boss.
    Ah, yes, PBS. The last bastion of children's entertainment over the airwaves.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

I did love Saturday morning cartoons as a kid. The Spider-Man and X-Men animated series were my favorites (I think they were on FOX). Kids are just smurfing spoiled nowadays. Why in my day, I had to actually sit in front of a TV at a specific time to watch a TV show, even reruns! And then walk 5 miles to school, uphill both ways!

There's probably still something to be said for Shlup's regulation. Even back in the 80s too many parents were accused of using their TV to babysit their kids. Now their iPad babysits their kids. I don't know how it is in the rest of the world, but it's pretty prevalent that each generation of children be more dumb than the last. Or at least it seems that way. Probably more and more lazy parenting I suppose