Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Super Smash Bros 3DS & WiiU

Prinny God Recognized Member Endless's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Super Smash Bros 3DS & WiiU

So, as of today/yesterday/tomorrow, SSB4 is released, and so far so good.

This thread is a multipurpose thread :

- find people to play with (the game allows online play with friends : FFA or team matches)
    - talk about strategies for the various game modes and minigames
    - help unlocking items/characters/stages/trophies...
    - boasting : the game ranks you based on how many people you outperform for a number of games, but it doesn't say where you are placed. At least here we can see who's the king of the hill.

So far I unlocked 4 characters, and out of my roster, my most played are Kirby (<3) and Megaman (team nostalgia). I'm having a bit of trouble getting used to the controls for some reason, whereas on the GC/Wii I didn't feel I had any issue. It doesn't help that my 3DS is the old small model, too.
    I'm still working on the first set of challenges, and I managed to get a nice 629.2m in home run with DK.

And my FCs: 3840 - 6225 - 6776 if it uses the old 3DS code, and Airelle if you go with Nintendo Network ID.

And then there is Death

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I haven't picked this up yet but I did download the demo. I'm super hyped for it after seeing this Fire Emblem trailer!

FFXIV Character

Viadana Solacaire (Sargatanas)

Finally got to play a little last night. Probably about two matches, really. The controls do feel like they're taking a while to get used to, even on the XL. Maybe some more time will help.
    what kind of nation should we build? a good nation? a nation of plenty? a nation of muffled joy?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've played a bit of the demo and will be getting this for Christmas. Please don't abandon this game until then XD

Also, can't wait to play as Shulk.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'll play a round or two with you when you get it, Fynn.

Personally, quite disappointed in it so far. One of the worst Nintendo games I've played in years.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

FFXIV Character

Umami Spitebreath (Kujata)

im working through the harder half of the second panel of challenges (i only got it yesterday :{). i really like it, even the barebones feel of the 3ds version that i keep seeing people condemn. rosalina has some amazing custom variants and a cool default set too (she feels like a very refined ice climbers). i also really like how non-overkill meta knight feels this time around.

what i do think what would instantly improve this game would be being able to bring the custom movesets outside of the modes they're locked into (i mean have you seen some of sak's fave franchises? clearly there's no issues with keeping balance in mind).

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    Personally, quite disappointed in it so far. One of the worst Nintendo games I've played in years.
    You just haven't looked enough, it's far from the worst Nintendo has produced in the past years. Play-wise, it suffers a little from the way the controls on the 3DS are made compared to the way the GC controller works, and it's no surprise that Nintendo is actually bringing a GC->WiiU adapter this xmas season. Otherwise it feels and plays like a SSB game, with a wide enough roster (remember, SSB on the N64 had a roster of only 12, SSBM had 26, SSBB had 39, and this one has 49-51), a variety of play modes, challenges, and a lot to collect and personalize for the obsessive collectors and overachievers out there.

If you want actual bad Nintendo games, try Steel Diver: Sub Wars (it's a free game on the 3DS eshop), Pokemon Battle Trozei, Yoshi's New Island, Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games or Game & Wario.

And then there is Death

FFXIV Character

Umami Spitebreath (Kujata)

we don't talk about yoshi's new island

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Yoshi's New Island already came out? Damn, and it looked like it was going to be good.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I'm having fun with it. Then again, I actually play the game and don't want them to remake Melee over and over again.

Quote Originally Posted by Endless View Post
    You just haven't looked enough, it's far from the worst Nintendo has produced in the past years. Play-wise, it suffers a little from the way the controls on the 3DS are made compared to the way the GC controller works, and it's no surprise that Nintendo is actually bringing a GC->WiiU adapter this xmas season. Otherwise it feels and plays like a SSB game, with a wide enough roster (remember, SSB on the N64 had a roster of only 12, SSBM had 26, SSBB had 39, and this one has 49-51), a variety of play modes, challenges, and a lot to collect and personalize for the obsessive collectors and overachievers out there.

If you want actual bad Nintendo games, try Steel Diver: Sub Wars (it's a free game on the 3DS eshop), Pokemon Battle Trozei, Yoshi's New Island, Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games or Game & Wario.
    I played Yoshi's New Island and actually found it superior to this one. Sure, it was just a rip off of the original, but it was a decent rip-off.

This game is just littered with design problems. Smash Run, one of the huge selling points, is nearly unplayable. To start with, you can't adjust the difficulty and the foes are set to what would have been the second highest difficulty on Subspace Emissary. The entire thing happens too fast, especially the challenge rooms, where you can get thrown in and die in less than a second before you can even asses the situation fully. Some MORON decided to not make the map the default bottom screen display, making you waste precious time in a game that is already very fast paced. The ending battles are too short. And you can't decide what ending battles you get.

That's just Smash Run.

Challenge Mode. Whoever designed it needs to be fired and never work in game design again. Tons of challenges! But only one screen at a time. So if there's one you can't complete, good luck, because you'll never get the chance to move on to any others. Oh, and we'll tie some of them to what RNG drops you get. Just to make it fair.

The Difficulty. Ok, I like the free scaling, but the reward system is totally broken. If you aren't playing on at least 5.0, there's a good chance you'll be getting nothing for half your matches. So if you're a mediocre player, too bad, it'll take a year to unlock all the customizations and trophies.

And Online threw up an error as soon as I tried it, so I haven't bothered since.

The gameplay itself is fantastic, but it needs more options, a ton more customization for Smash Run to make it casually viable, and some better design on the unlock systems.

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I played Yoshi's New Island and actually found it superior to this one. Sure, it was just a rip off of the original, but it was a decent rip-off.

This game is just littered with design problems. Smash Run, one of the huge selling points, is nearly unplayable. To start with, you can't adjust the difficulty and the foes are set to what would have been the second highest difficulty on Subspace Emissary. The entire thing happens too fast, especially the challenge rooms, where you can get thrown in and die in less than a second before you can even asses the situation fully. Some MORON decided to not make the map the default bottom screen display, making you waste precious time in a game that is already very fast paced. The ending battles are too short. And you can't decide what ending battles you get.

That's just Smash Run.
    Smash run got considerably easier once I realized that equipped powers are meant to be used during the run part of smash run. Better equipment than the base one also helps. The rest I agree with, so here's to hoping they patch in improvements.

Challenge Mode. Whoever designed it needs to be fired and never work in game design again. Tons of challenges! But only one screen at a time. So if there's one you can't complete, good luck, because you'll never get the chance to move on to any others. Oh, and we'll tie some of them to what RNG drops you get. Just to make it fair.
    I haven't tried specifically to get past the first screen (I play Hyrule Warriors too, and work otherwise), but you can use hammers to break the one or two you may miss at the end of each page. Hammers don't carry over from one page to another, so use them to pass a page.

The Difficulty. Ok, I like the free scaling, but the reward system is totally broken. If you aren't playing on at least 5.0, there's a good chance you'll be getting nothing for half your matches. So if you're a mediocre player, too bad, it'll take a year to unlock all the customizations and trophies.
    I've been playing at 3.5-4 so far, and I rarely get nothing, but yeah, it's a bit slow. You can cheat the game a little too to improve your odds if you use the home button (it pauses the wheel, if you see you're in a red gift you want, return to the game using A, it'll stop the wheel).

And Online threw up an error as soon as I tried it, so I haven't bothered since.

The gameplay itself is fantastic, but it needs more options, a ton more customization for Smash Run to make it casually viable, and some better design on the unlock systems.
    I totally agree with online matches. I tried a few and it lagged horribly. Maybe online play with friends in the same area is better.

And then there is Death

Articles

I feel that the 3DS version will be vastly inferior to the Wii U version so I'm waiting for that just now.

Ok, so I found a way to drastically reduce the difficulty of Smash Run: Play as Robin. Nosferatu kills things and heals you. I've reduced the number of times I've died in the average match from four down to one or none.

Exposure also helps you understand how some of the rooms play out. I've gotten to actually enjoy the mode some.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.