Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nick Jonas - "Jealous"

Another question: why do so many former good teen stars gone bad come from Disney?
    Is that your final answer?

Blog Entries

Because they fall under tons of pressure. They're stuck upholding these wholesome G rated personalities and lives and are not allowed to make mistakes in the real world. Children and parents alike kind of shove these boys and girls into the roles they're known for and that's It.

On top of working so much on whatever show they're on, plus maybe recording albums, appearances, plus schoolwork... It's a lot for a young person- even if they realize That it is and understand what they've gotten into.

So when they get older, they want to break out of that picture that the network and the General public have painted them in.

It happens with Nickelodeon stars too.

Yes, but it seems to happen more disproportionately with Disney stars than with Nickelodeon stars. Why?

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Ok, lets look at how manic the hysteria surrounding the Jonas Brothers and Miley Cyrus in particular was. I've witnessed the Jonas brothers playing about 5 songs and then signing an album when I worked for HMV. The volume of screaming teenage girls was so bad, we were trying to organise having the tills covered and couldn't hear ourselves talking to one another. That was in a stockroom with a soundproofed DJ booth in between us and the floor. We wound up going outside, only to be ambushed by girls begging us to get them backstage. The offers were quite disturbing, more than one girl who was clearly all of 14 made offers which were obviously offers of a sexual favour in return for letting them meet the band, it was pretty grim stuff.

Now the Jonas brothers, which I'm sure didn't have as much of a say in the policies governing them so much as their parents and agents did were expected to live this perfect life. Sibling rivalry wasn't allowed, couldn't have people they hated because if the story broke in the press it'd ruin their image and Disney would drop them like they were hot. It's an enormous amount of pressure for a bunch of pre-teen and adolescent children to deal with. Their contracts with Disney run up until they're about 18. After that Disney isn't interested because they're no longer the teen sensation, the child star and drop them.

All of a sudden, these kids who weren't allowed to go through their rebellious teenage years find themselves free of those constraints and filthy rich too. Outside of America at least they can also drink legally, not that it stops them in the USA either. So with no one saying you can't do this and having been unable to act freely before they go hog wild. Except this isn't the hog wild attitude of a 14/15 year old who may sneak off for the odd smoke or drink, until they decide how they feel about it, or whatever we got up to at 14/15 which we weren't allowed to do (this includes boyfriends and girlfriends for many of them who were actively told to sell their availability and good looks whilst not actually having a normal relationship). It's the hog wild of someone doing all of that plus the fact that legally they can sleep around and don't have to listen to Mom, Dad or their Agents telling them no. They can disregard parental advice or fire an agent because simply put they're an adult.

Add in to that mix that the press still continue to call them "child stars" or "teen heart-throbs" and you'll get a huge kick back from these adults going "But I am grown up now!" which the press largely ignores because Disney fostered this press image that they were just these cool kids. Eventually you wind up with the stars doing the only things they can do to prove that they're an adult. This generally will involve some kind of adult level photo shoot or acting role or in Miley's case where despite everything else she'd already done the press still insisted on ignoring the fact that she was an adult, the wrecking ball video where she's butt naked.

Now as to the actual song? It's fairly standard rnb/pop fare. The melody is catchy and the lyrics aren't half as dire as most of the other stuff in that genre at this time... Anaconda anyone? I thought so. Lyrically the song has a message most people who have dated an attractive person will relate to in some ways. It's from the male perspective but could easily be flipped to be from the female perspective too. When you strip it back the core message is; "I think you're amazing and sexy and I'm definitely proud that you chose me. Yet, when you're there showing everyone everything what makes you so sexy to me and reveling in the attention it brings I get a little jealous, is nothing just between us?" It reveals a little insecurity of the writer and is something many, if not all of us can relate to when it comes to relationships. Of course, songs with a personal message like that do better with music videos which aren't featuring your actual miss universe girlfriend deliberately showing off her sexy looks and the fact that she's reveling in the attention gotten as a result but that's my view on it.
    Last edited by Iceglow; 10-27-2014 at 02:44 PM.

Blog Entries

I remember Nick Jonas saying he smoked pot with Miley and Demi back when they were all still under Disney contracts heh.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMillionaire View Post
    Another question: why do so many former good teen stars gone bad come from Disney?
    Children in the media industry are introduced to a lot of things no child should be around such as drugs and sex. This added with the stress of being a bread-winner for their families at a young age adds to their distress when they become a rebellious age in their "acting out" years. The stress can internalize in to many things: resentment towards parents, resentment towards the industry, feeling used, feeling powerless, feeling they missed out on their childhood. These are all things that cause a person who was once maybe pure, to act out. Sometimes people who are around them enable them as well -- they enable this bad behavior for whatever reason. I am speaking about a particular person, but realizing this could really apply to every single child star turned adult star. It's sad.

Quote Originally Posted by noxious.sunshine View Post
    I remember Nick Jonas saying he smoked pot with Miley and Demi back when they were all still under Disney contracts heh.
    Actually, that was Joe Jonas, not Nick Jonas.

And also, because Disney was afraid of getting another Miley Cyrus-like scandal, they didn't push Debby Ryan (of Jessie fame), Zendaya, and Bella Thorne (both of Shake It Up fame). Zendaya is set to star in a new Disney Channel Original Series, named K.C. Undercover, and Bella Thorne will be a background guest co-star. It wasn't always that way, though; back when Walt Disney himself ran his company, they didn't have scandals like they do now. Annette Funicello never went nude, long after she left Disney. Hilary Duff did have one racy film role and a Maxim photo shoot, but other than that, for the most part, she remained decent, and is planning a comeback soon; she does not plan to return with a racy, sexed-up image.

I think Disney needs to change the way they do business. For one, when they cross over into music, they should not have their lyrics sound too childish. Too often, when something is suitable for children, it's ONLY for children, and that has to change. They need to start making music that can appeal to all ages. What else do you think Disney should do in order to change how alumni feel about their time at Disney once they outgrow it?

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Actually, Duff is back, she had a new song out recently.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I have never heard a Jonas Brothers song. I'm quite proud of this fact and have no intention of listening to one of their solo efforts. Good look to them though. The one thing the music industry is missing is generic RNB/pop songs. Oh wait...

According to Wikipedia, Nick Jonas recently released a gospel version of "Jealous," as well as another remix version of "Jealous" that features R&B singer Tinashe, and this remix version contains swear words.
    Last edited by SuperMillionaire; 11-12-2014 at 05:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DMKA View Post
    Are they still wearing their purity rings?
    Not anymore, apparently.

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-...culpo-20141911

According to this article, Nick Jonas is no longer a virgin! Both he and Joe Jonas broke the pledge! (Kevin Jonas, however, did not.)

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

That's not news I want to know about.... How is that news?

His new album is out now, and it does have the PA sticker on it.

But also, I want to know: is it really very necessary for former child stars to swear in music, star in racy roles, and do racy photo shoots?
    Last edited by SuperMillionaire; 12-20-2014 at 07:01 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Just because they are former child stars doesn't mean they are children forever. If, as adults, they feel they would like to do any of your listed racy things, then they have that right as a person.

Blog Entries

Why do you even care though, is the bigger question?

They're not members of your family. They're not bothering you.