Thread: My Complaint With the License Board

Articles
    Blog Entries

Default My Complaint With the License Board

I overall like the License Board as a concept. It gives it a very WRPG-like character advancement that rewards long-term planning.

That being said, I could really do without the board-like placement of the licenses. You essentially need to invest too much LP and time into licenses you don't want or need to get the ones you do. It makes each character feel more homogenuous than they should have, in my opinion.

What do you guys think?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I absolutely love the license board. It is my favourite customization system of any game. What I didn't like was having to activate it on the board and then also buy the spell/tech or whatever. I wish I could have just activated it and that would be that

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I agree the board set-up could have been better, though I don't feel it's quite as bad except with some of the support abilities. The weapons, magic, and armor selection was mostly pretty good at giving it a more linear progression but then I also feel the game was meant to emulate older FFs where characters used multiple types of weapons.

My beef with the board is that it is too easy to complete and thus all your characters are either clones by the end game in terms of what they can do, or your sitting on 9999LP. It's kind of why I wished the International Version gets released because the License Board was actually suppose to be closer to that.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I get what you mean. It was a chore just getting to the bloody summon and the quickening at the corner of the board.

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I didn't like the placements of some of the spells. If I'm trying to build a White Mage, why should I have to activate a arcane(?) license to get my highest level spells?

I like the concept (better than sphere grid) a lot, but they could've planned it out a little better.

I mean, maybe they could've done a little better, but I think they probably had to put some odd intermediate licenses in the way in order to compress the thing into a nice shape. Making it less than a square grid – something more sphere-grid-esque – just to dodge this problem would have resulted in a seriously funky board. I'm with shion, I thought the license board was awesome and one of the best character development systems. I also REALLY want to play the IZJS version because I thought this game could've definitely benefited from a bit of restriction/forced customization.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

This game taught me a hat goes on the head. Thanks, licence board.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Now, yuh wuhldn' pu' a shoo on un 'ead, wuhld yoo?

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

I like the license board but agree that it could have should have been better organized. And it is way too easy to complete. It shouldn't be so easy to get everything unlocked. A system that decreased prices in a particular line once started and increased those in the other lines would have helped.

FFXIV Character

Umami Spitebreath (Kujata)

it works well. the open ended nature of it isn't my cuppa tea though :3