Thread: Steam/DS version party combonation questions(SPOILERS)

Default Steam/DS version party combonation questions(SPOILERS)

SO right now I am in the part of the game where (SPOILER) you just get your new airship locked down by a golden chain
    So my party consists of

white mage
    black mage
    knight
    theif

Would i be better off with my knight being a monk or some other class? I tried turning him into a job level 1 monk but only had a vest for monk armor. did not equip knuckes and he was doing about 30 damage per turn. what am i doing wrong here? I thought monks did more damage empty handend than with kunckles?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

You need to raise the classes job levels to get them to do their proper damage and yes Monks are significantly better empty handed. It shouldn't take too many job levels to see an improvement but their equipment pool is pretty limited so they do come across as glass cannons for certain sections of the game. Another reason to bother with Monk Job is due to their high Vitality stat. It is the only stat that affects your character on level up, raising your HP, so if your characters have HP, level them up as a Monk (or their upgraded class) to net them better HP.

Unless your party combo isn't cutting it right now, I feel you should be fine with the group you have to be honest. I wouldn't really experiment with different classes until you have the airship back and have easy access to towns. I usually return to Ur and fight Goblins to raise Job levels quickly, you don't need high levels either so it's not as much of a grind as you think. The fastest way to level a job is to make use of their special skills in battle.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

In the DS version monks are not better empty handed. I played a game and tested consistently, and at no point did the monk do more damage empty handed then with a weapon. Obviously a big change from the original.
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

At this exact point (spoilers if you watch the let's play, haha!) I had a Thief, Scholar, Red Mage and Hunter. Wasn't a fan of the Hunter. You can get boomerangs for your Thief and they're pretty tasty.

Right now I have access to the dark knight and dragoon (DS/Steam version) Starting to have a bit of a struggle doing dps with my black mage and my knight at the area where (SPOILER)my ship is chained down by a golden chain

I want to keep my theif and white mage, so how would the other classes fare at this point in the game?

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Knights get considerably weaker during the middle of the game, and only pick up at the very end when you get access to some very strong unique weapons.

IMO Dragoons are one of the best classes in that version, even without Jump. Dark Knights are a little bit of a mixed bag. I usually use one though the middle of the game, but they kind of loose effectiveness later.
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

I have not tried the hunter, Is this class useful at all? Decided to replace my knight with a dragoon, keep my theif, keep the white mage till devout, still not sure on my black mages future career. is the black mage upgrade class worth leveling?

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

I've not been enamoured with Hunters to be honest. As far as the Magus (upgraded BM) goes, I've preferred the Sage.