Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NEStlevanias

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Question NEStlevanias

Which Castlevania on the NES was your favorite? Was it the challenging first one, the puzzling Simon's Quest, or the tag-teaming Dracula's Curse?

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Probably the first one. I played way more of the second one as a kid, but I have grown to love the original the best. The third one was cool and offered good ideas at the time, but I guess I gravitate towards a more simplistic style when it comes to the classicvania games.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The first one will always be my favorite. Though I wish I had a chance to really play Castlevania III.

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

The first. It was brain-numbingly unforgiving, but it captured my imagination and was just plain fun.

I dig Castlevania III and all, but the first one wins, possibly by virtue of how often it's been drilled into my memory over the years. Even CV3 has a level where you basically are back in the first level from 1.

And dat musics...

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

Thanks a lot Spoons. I had trout to do, and now I have to have a Smooth McGroove night.

'Tis wat I do

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

The first one was my favorite. I loved the challenge and amazing music. What's sad is I beat it in a weekend as a kid when I rented it, but couldn't the last few times I've tried.

8 Eyes :3

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

The quest Simon went on is definitely the best.
    Figaro Castle

Blog Entries

Simons Quest for me. My dad and I spent almost as much time on that together as we did on The Legend Of Zelda.

Man, I came in here expecting everyone to like the third the best and to be the only one advocating the first game.

My rebel dream. ; -;

I have longer and fonder memories of Simon's Quest and Dracula's Curse. And I think I appreciated Simon's Quest the most. Love the non-linearity. Too bad it was so cryptic and broken. Pretty sure I never got anywhere in it as a child because of that garbage. I'm tempted to play the re-translation someone did. I think there's even a hack that fixes the night/day mechanic

But I did so love crawling around on the ceiling as the thief in Dracula's Curse

Ohhhhh yeah, I remember hearing about that patch for CV2. I never got around to trying it, but I found it on Romhacking.net and both reviews are pretty positive, so I'll have to play through it later. Like you said, the original was a bit too cryptic, so this will likely make it much more enjoyable. It is a bit sad nothing was done to the bosses, though -- being able to walk past them kind of deadens the experience.

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

IMO the 3rd one expanded upon what the first one introduced to us. The 2nd, I remember only as something an old buddy's brother had. I remember he had a password for the flame whip, which was pretty awesome @ the time.

The only one I owned on the NES was Dracula's Curse. I got to Dracula a couple of time, but I think I beat the blue demon form only once. I got the first on the GBA when they did the Classic NES series. I enjoyed it a lot, but couldn't get past Frankenstein.