Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default So I'm giving Chrono Cross another try

I had only ever played to that beach thing part very early in the game because the battles were just... ahem anyways

So I'm trying again and giving it a fair shot. I got sharky the Chrono Cross strategy guide for his birthday (he opened it early, he has another present coming) because it is one of his favourite games and he collects strategy guides. Yay me!

So we decided it might be fun to play it together. I'll post up my thoughts in this thread

1. I'm getting used to the battle style. I'm still not a fan, but I can endure it now since I actually found the dude who gave me a semi useful explanation
    1.1. Speaking of that, he knocked me out and kept explaining things as I was knocked out
    1.2. I still maintain that it is an overly complex battle system. There's like 7 pages of explanation in the walkthrough. That is too much. Some people might love that but it is not for shion

2. I got to say no to Kid which made me very happy. Got Leena in the party. I do like how she's 16 and talks like she's 60. "Kids these days" "Remember when we were young?" "GET OFF MY LAWN YOU RASCALS!!!"
    Okay maybe I made that last one up

3. I like the doggie. I was sad when she got punted off a cliff

4. The story is interesting. I enjoy the game when there is no playing and just story stuffs

5. The guide told me not to give all of the same colour elements to one character (meaning all blue for x character, all yellow for y character, yada yada) because it makes them unbalanced, but that's part of who I am so they'll have to deal

6. I was so happy when I found out I could change the dialogue box

7. Nowhere did it mention pressing square to give people things. I had to figure that out after yelling at a child to take the stupid scale thing for like 20 minutes

8. Speaking of which, mass genocide on lizard-chickens for the sake of jewelry is not cool. Cool kids don't do that

9. Got the Mojo thing. Not in my party currently

So yep, Chrono Cross

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

I actually really liked the battle system, but then again I really enjoy juggling numbers. I don't get why people knock on it for being complicated.

1) Attacks and Magic cost action points
    2) When other character members attack or use magic you gain action points
    3) The last three elements are recorded on the battlefield and affect the elemental strength of any new elemental attacks used.

Now, if you don't like it because it isn't dynamic enough that is another thing.
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

There's a bar or inn or something in the home village in which there is a barrel in the corner. If you press X on it, it says something like "No response. It's just a barrel." Keep mashing X on it for a pleasant surprise. There are a lot of cool little things like that throughout the game.

Glad to see people give the game another chance, it's my favorite of all time and the reason I started posting here.

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

Observations from the outside.

Karsh is still a Diva. Solt and Peppor are still tactical geniuses. I all still think their innate element colors should have been black and white.

We also stole a bird egg from a mother bird, and shion wanted to know "why it was acting so crazy." So that's one dead mother lizard and all her babies, and a bird family destroyed.

Shion hates Kid.

It'll be fun to play the game again!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by VeloZer0 View Post
    I actually really liked the battle system, but then again I really enjoy juggling numbers. I don't get why people knock on it for being complicated.

3) The last three elements are recorded on the battlefield and affect the elemental strength of any new elemental attacks used.

Now, if you don't like it because it isn't dynamic enough that is another thing.
    I'm glad you enjoy it, but it just doesn't work with my brain for some reason. I'm sure some people enjoy it BECAUSE its more than just, select action from menu, but it doesn't do it for me :P

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I need to also give this game another chance but there are so many obtainable characters, I just dunno which one to get. I use to like trying to get the really valid point and i'm impressed by your thinking. thing.

This game is so good!!!! Very excited you're giving it a full chance.

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shion View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VeloZer0 View Post

I'm glad you enjoy it, but it just doesn't work with my brain for some reason. I'm sure some people enjoy it BECAUSE its more than just, select action from menu, but it doesn't do it for me :P
    I'm not saying it will suddenly become your favorite battle system, but I still think after some more playing it will begin to make more sense and not feel so forced.

It actually does work well once you get a chance to work with it a while. Although I have to admit that it was had to change the entire field to whatever element you want during a boss battle.

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Glad you're giving it another chance, shion. You know, you could go the whole game w/o getting Kid.

(SPOILER)when you have the chance to "save her" just say no (in fact, this is the only way to get Glenn & avoid the obnoxious KorCHA). There's still an opportunity to get her afterwards if you don't "save her", but I think you can avoid that. But even if you get her in your party, it's not as if you have to play her.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't want to save her but to get one of the characters I want, according to the guide, I have to

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Mel or Razzly?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

The fairy one I think

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

That's Razzly.ProTipWhen you get her, don't have her in your party in the fight against the Hydra. This causes something sad to happen, but it has to happen to get her Lvl. 7 tech.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Okay? Thanky

Since the game doesn't get much love 'round here, can we start general CC discussion?

Favorite party member? For me, probably either (SPOILER)Radius or Glenn

Most useless character in the game?

without a doubt

Also, for those who have completed the game (or at least through Viper Mansion), which is your favorite of the 3 different paths in? For me it's probably (SPOILER)busting right through the front gate with Pierre.