Thread: xvidb.com slows me down a lot

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Default xvidb.com slows me down a lot

Often times, page loads are stalled for a long time while trying to connect to this site, even the search result pages are affected, and I don't even know what you need to contact that site for at all when displaying search results.

Sometimes, I can be waiting for that domain for like 20 seconds before the rest of the forums load. Once xvidb.com is done with, the rest of the forum loading is super fast, like it's done within a second.

On one of my other computers, I just used adblockplus to block the entire domain, so i had forgotten about the issue all together. I got back on my laptop again today, and apparently the problem is still alive, even weeks later.

Just a heads up, I guess. If you can't do anything with it I guess I'll just add a blocking rule here as well.

What is that site even used for on this forum?
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

It's for a feature that's supposed to load informative tooltips when you use item names and the like. I don't frequent the XIV forum so I'm not sure, but I had a look through some threads and didn't see it in effect a single time, so I disabled it as it seems a little unnecessary. I haven't noticed any slowdown from that domain, but if you have I'm sure other people do too.

If the tooltips do get used and people like them, we can add them back but host the main files locally so it only loads images for the actual tooltips externally.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Oh yeah, that thing. I've seen it here and there and it's a neat feature. I am however still puzzled as to why the forums need to contact that site when viewing pages that do not contain any FFXIV items, such as a search result page. Seems a bit superfluous.

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

To my knowledge it doesn't. It was just linked that way.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

well i guess the forums don't access the site,but it seems to tell my browser to do so and then it waits for it and stuff