Thread: Dark Knight, All New Primals, Flying Mounts - Final Fantasy XIV

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Default Dark Knight, All New Primals, Flying Mounts - Final Fantasy XIV

Well, I guess my theory on at least one thing last week came true... Dark Knight will officially be making an entrance to Eorzea as part of the Heavensward Expansion next spring. Yoshi-P has revealed lots of information at the London Fan Festival this weekend. As well as Dark Knights, you can look forward to flying mounts and some all new Primals EXCLUSIVE to Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn!

So, the Dark Knight is going to be the next Tanking class in ARR, what's strange about this though, is that there is no base class for Dark Knight. Probably because they're too badass for that. I'm really looking forward to this one, probably more than I am looking forward to Rogue/Ninja. We've had hints at a new healing class too, but it has yet to be revealed.

Just one of the new beast tribes for Heavensward is the Vanu Vanu. They are said to be a birdmen beast tribe which ties in nicely with the 'take to the skies' theme of the expansion. Their deity is Bismarck, who of course is a recurring creature throughout Fina Fantasy. He is always pictured as a whale-like creature, but in ARR, he has been re-imagined as a sky-whale covered in feathers. He sounds like a crossbreed of Sin and Bismarck!

The second beast tribe are the Gnaths! An insect-like race. Just what I wanted, ugly bugs trying to kill me in this game. They give me the creeps. The primal to accompany the Gnath is the insect king, Ravana. This is the first brand-new primal to be added to the game, however some of you Square mega fans might recognise the name Ravana... Originally he was a demon king in Vagrant Story. The Ravana of Vagrant story is not the same as the one that will be appearing in ARR.

Last but not least, we have our brand new flying mounts! We will be getting Black Chocobos which can fly, and also Single-Rider Airships. Ooooh! My guess is that these mounts will be used to reach previously off limits areas, and new lands that are up in mountains or just floating around in the sky!

Look at these gorgeous new locations! They definitely appear to be up in the sky, and they are just stunning. It's not completely unusual for Final Fantasy to use this concept, so I'm excited to see how it will tie in with Eorzean lore.

And this picture is just a bonus from the festival; Yoshi-P is definitely down with cosplay! (As if we needed more reasons to be just a little bit in love with him!) You can check out a full album of the keynotes from the Fan Festival here.

FFXIV Character

Laurelin Kementari (Sargatanas)

Soooo muuuuuch HYYYYYYYYYYYPE!

FFXIV Character

Omni Odin (Sargatanas)

Ahhhh dark knight forever!!!
    Final Fantasies defeated
    Playing

I, II, III, IV, IVAY, V, VI, VII, VIIDoC, VIICC , VIII, Tactics, TA, TA2, IX, X, X-2, XI, XII, XII:RW, XIII, XIII-2, XIII:LR, XIV, Type-0, XV

FavoriteToLeastFavorite : VII>X>Tactics>IX>IV>VIII>XV>VI>XII>X-2>XIII>TA2>V>XIII-2>III>I>LR:FFXIII>II

Would like to see the female version of dark knight

There's lots to be excited about for 2.4, 2.5 and 3.0! Cannot contain myself!

So many people are angry about Dark Knight being a tank, but I can't wait to see how it plays. I'm especially curious how it works without a base class. The personal airship concept art looks really awesome, and I loved the scenery in the new flying chocobo video. I really hope they handle personal airships well (e.g. craft your own decals and stuff for it), and that flying becomes a lot more relevant in 3.0.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Either...

1) "No base class involved" is a mistranslation (or a deliberate but slight misinforming of the public for whatever reason) because Dark Knight will be a class, not a job.

2) They are somehow going to find a way to equip 'nothing' in the main hand, so people can equip souls before they equip their greatswords.

3) They are going to somehow find a way to equip both a soul and a greatsword simultaneously.

4) Souls will no longer be what define a job, blurring the lines between 'class' and 'job'.

5) They will be doing away with classes altogether.

Kiiiiiinda hoping it's #5.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

FFXIV Character

Laurelin Kementari (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    5) They will be doing away with classes altogether.
    I can already imagine the headache that would give the lore team. XD

You know they teased at the gunner job also? I reckon that the gunner job will be a healer. Shoots magical healing bullets at allies.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

People are thinking it could be Agent!