Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 'Hatred' for PC just released an extremely controversial, internet exploding trailer

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

No difference between this and those human centipede type movies. Both are terrible but you don't have to play it. Just keep it away from the kiddies.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

It's weird how when you put two games side by side that let you do the same grizzly stuff, nobody actually gets upset about the grizzly stuff. The only thing they care about is why.

Call of Duty is fine because while yes, you're murdering lots of people, they're the baddies. They're trying to kill you or do something evil so it is fine to murder them.
    Hotline Miami is fine because the murdering is more of a puzzle game really.
    GTA's murdering random innocent people is fine because it's something the player chooses to do, not something the player has to do. If grizzly innocent person murder is optional then it is fine.

Do I want to play this game? No. It sickens me. It's too graphic and aimless to be entertaining for me. But that doesn't make it any worse morally than the generally accepted stuff like GTA or CoD. At the end of the day: is it actually hurting and actual​ people? No? Then it's fine. Problematic, certainly, but no more so than a lot of other stuff. It is not a special case.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    Honestly, I don't think we have a lot to worry about from parents stopping their kids from playing games because of this stuff. We live in a time when the average age of gamers is over 30, and a sizeable chunk of the people popping out kids these days are gamers, or were at some point. The days where parents are going to attack all games because of the content of a few is, if not gone, at the very least quickly diminishing. There is no existential threat to gaming here.
    It's a mistake to attribute such reactions to the naivete of those who never gamed. I remember after Sandy Hook, a group of kids, on their own, began a campaign to convince others in their community to part with their games, going around and collecting them in garbage bins. Again, the games aren't the "existential threat." Rather, its the way the media spins them together with real life to depict a culture which people no longer want to associate with.

Even worse, our own community is now manufacturing the ammunition for that debate. This week, CNN, MSNBC, and the New York Times each featured industry commentators linking the portrayal of women in video games to the recent misogynistic attacks on feminist critics. All three segments extended the cause past even Gamergate, arguing this is attributable to the gamer identity itself. As with Sandy Hook, some people will decide this just isn't something they want to be a part of anymore, regardless of how tenuous they understand such correlations to be.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

This game sounds sadistic as trout. Many games obviously involve an element of killing as either an objective or a consequence of the gameplay, though, but I don't know. I think it's in poor taste to focus a game on mass murdering people who are begging for their lives, especially with so many of them in the midst of our social issues and mass shootings in the past couple of years just even for America alone.

But hey, the developers and players are free to do what they want. I find it in extremely poor taste and borderline enabling.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    It's a mistake to attribute such reactions to the naivete of those who never gamed. I remember after Sandy Hook, a group of kids, on their own, began a campaign to convince others in their community to part with their games, going around and collecting them in garbage bins.
    It's a mistake to assume that because they were kids that they were gamers.

Again, the games aren't the "existential threat."
    That's not what I said.

Even worse, our own community is now manufacturing the ammunition for that debate. This week, CNN, MSNBC, and the New York Times each featured industry commentators linking the portrayal of women in video games to the recent misogynistic attacks on feminist critics. All three segments extended the cause past even Gamergate, arguing this is attributable to the gamer identity itself. As with Sandy Hook, some people will decide this just isn't something they want to be a part of anymore, regardless of how tenuous they understand such correlations to be.
    Not really relevant to what I said since most of the people running those networks would not have actually grown up with games. Moreover, media outlets that don't understand games trying to stir up controversy is no different than it was in 22 years ago. The relevant difference is that there are millions more parents who will be able to recognize their attempts for what they are: fear mongering bulltrout.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

I'd get it if i could play as a girl.

too bad, huh
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Developer
    • Former Tech Admin

This reminds me a little of Hotline Miami, where you also murder tons of people. But in that game you murder bad guys and in this game you murder innocent people. Weird how that makes any difference. You're still murdering people. This game seems a bit tasteless, but I'd have to see more of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    No difference between this and those human centipede type movies. Both are terrible but you don't have to play it. Just keep it away from the kiddies.
    Pretty much. I support people's right to publish entertainment that I don't like. The whole horror movie genre lets people enjoy watching innocent people being tortured to death. Real-life people, not cartoons and polygons. Somehow society hasn't collapsed yet.

Maybe people panic over games because they still assume that games are all meant for children, but that hasn't been true for a long while.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Someone also recently discovered that one or two of the guys on the dev team are white supremacists. The controversy thickens.

As others have already said, you can do this in 90% of all sandbox games ever released, and one of the big draws GTA has for people is playing it exactly like this.

The controversy is silly, and it's exactly what the developers wanted. This is also the sort of thing that the louder you whine about it, the more people are going to gain interest in it/seeing what it is you're so worked up about.

Personally, I have no desire to play this, or anything like it. I remember playing Manhunt (which, quite frankly, was far more gross in terms of both plot and killing animations) ten or so years ago and just putting it down half way through because it was so dark and gruesome that it wasn't even fun to me. This gives me about the same feeling...a game with no story or actions beyond kill kill kill doesn't appeal to me. Am I against such a product existing though? Absolutely not! If you want to make or play games like this by all means do so. I'll completely support your right to do it as well.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Proof that some people consider it their moral obligation in life to smash down all barriers of good taste.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

"Good taste" is purely subjective.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Quote Originally Posted by DMKA View Post
    "Good taste" is purely subjective.
    But subjectivity is objective!

This game looks insane and i would definitely buy it. And all you phony ass haters can eat a D!#@. Why does Hollywood have free reign to make 10+ psycho/murder thrillers every year, but if a game does it everyone goes bananas?!!

Wanting to play this game is no worse than wanting to see any of those SAW movies...

Honestly, there's not really a lot we should do about this.

Yes, it's an absolutely awful piece of distasteful drivel.

So what?

If we restrict the creative work and will of directors based on content, then we're really no better than the video game critics who have been arguing for years about the lack of value of the medium, and the need for tighter restrictions. Not being allowed to make a game like this is not functionally different from not being allowed to sell a game like this.

When we accept this media and push it forward, we have to understand that we are going to get distasteful crap. Books, movies, music, opera... There are examples of similar works in all of them. We're not going to get away from that.

Our role, as consumers, is to not buy the bad products, and express to the producers why we are not buying it so that they can consider it when making future products. That's all.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    Honestly, there's not really a lot we should do about this.

Yes, it's an absolutely awful piece of distasteful drivel.

So what?

If we restrict the creative work and will of directors based on content, then we're really no better than the video game critics who have been arguing for years about the lack of value of the medium, and the need for tighter restrictions. Not being allowed to make a game like this is not functionally different from not being allowed to sell a game like this.

When we accept this media and push it forward, we have to understand that we are going to get distasteful crap. Books, movies, music, opera... There are examples of similar works in all of them. We're not going to get away from that.

Our role, as consumers, is to not buy the bad products, and express to the producers why we are not buying it so that they can consider it when making future products. That's all.
    Nice, well said.

No, you can't call for games like Hatred to stop being made. If anything, they'll get made all the more.

But the thing is, once you single out one type of content that a creator is not allowed to create, you open the floodgates for suppression of basically anything a power-hungry asshole wants to silence.

The old saying goes, "You have to accept the good with the bad."