Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 'Hatred' for PC just released an extremely controversial, internet exploding trailer

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Can't have put it better than Skyblade. I don't like the idea of this game, but I don't think we should have the right to stop it existing. Just the right to hope that people don't buy it.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

As an aside, am I the only one who doesn't go out of his way to kill innocents in these open world action games? I've maybe purposely killed like 5 innocents in my lifetime of gaming (though you could argue what have the goombas done to deserve being squashed?).

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    As an aside, am I the only one who doesn't go out of his way to kill innocents in these open world action games? I've maybe purposely killed like 5 innocents in my lifetime of gaming (though you could argue what have the goombas done to deserve being squashed?).
    Nope, you're not
    Quote Originally Posted by escobert View Post
    I used to do the gta killing sprees. But, that trouts boring now.

I actually had someone call me a vegetarian liberal asshat on the DayZ forums because I said I don't kill animals in game unless I actually need the meat. I just can't bring myself to kill things needlessly anymore, regardless if it's real or not.

Not only that, but I don't pick up items I don't need either.

Because it's a waste of my time. I'm kind of single-minded when I play a game, I want to get to the end and kick the last boss to the curb with a minimum of time and frustration. So I don't go after every single enemy. Some I just leave alone and move on my way.

Interestingly, there's a mechanic in Legend of Zelda that rewards mercy. If you kill all the enemies on the screen, they'll reappear after you have gone a certain radius away from that screen. But if you leave one enemy alive, there will always be one enemy on that screen.

That aside; I started to get disillusioned with games as they got bloodier and gorier...I'm kind of...uh...sensitive? To that stuff.

Even though Batman: Arkham City wasn't particularly bloody, the violence still kind of got to me. I'm ok when it's stylized to the point it is in something like Marvel Vs. Capcom or say, the Tekken series, but something about the animation and collision physics in Arkham City made me queasy for a reason I can't quite put my finger on.

Hatred, then, I can assume will put me off my soup. I haven't watched the trailer, and I'm not gonna cuz I like my stomach right-side in, and I like being conscious.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

I eradicated Megaton a few times in FO3 but that's about it.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I don't tend to do this kind of thing either. I do, however, kill anything that can kill me. I just don't find killing the innocent to give me much enjoyment in a game.

No one is innocent.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

There are a lot of innocent characters in video games.

Quote Originally Posted by Spuuky View Post
    No one is innocent.
    For the terms of the debate, would it help if it were amended to account for the relative nature of such a blanket term as "innocence?" Killing a defenseless person is usually frowned upon, for example, unless their crimes are extremely vicious and heinous.

It occurs to me that when I make the decision whether or not to kill an enemy, nine times out of ten, the first question I ask is, "is this enemy in my way," i.e., will I suffer damage if I try to go through the enemy. If it's not in my way, I ignore it. If it's in my way, I kill it.

There are games that strangely avert this, such as Soul Blazer or Illusion of Gaia, which reward you if you eliminate every enemy in an area, but the presentation is fantastically unrealistic.

Usually, you are given a choice as to whether or not you need to waste time/ammunition/health fighting an enemy.

This game seems to work on the mechanic that, so to speak, "killing enemies" is the whole point of gaming. I like to think of it as simply one mechanic that games can be (and mostly have been) built on, to give you some kind of obstacle to completing the game. But the objective is to complete the game, not just mindlessly kill enemies.

So if the whole game is just killing everything in sight, then...? What type of enemy hierarchy is there? Are there bosses? Wouldn't that negate the premise of just killing for killing's sake?

This concept seems inherently obtuse to me for some reason.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    The only innocent characters aren't fleshed out enough to qualify as interesting characters.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Developer
    • Former Tech Admin

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    The only innocent characters aren't fleshed out enough to qualify as interesting characters.
    Pretty much. When you see them as AIs with avatars, it's hard to care. I like to try to break games by doing the opposite of what the devs wanted. I like to see how clever the devs were and test the boundaries of the game mechanics. Sometimes you get cool easter eggs or funny dialogue. Sometimes you discover that this thing that seems dangerous is actually safe because they never bothered to program it in.

If I have AI helpers or allies, I'll always try to kill them. If I have to rescue someone, I'll try to murder them myself and see what happens. If I'm playing a racing game, I'll go around the track backwards and smash head-on into oncoming traffic. Flight sim = go as high as possible and fly straight down, and see how fast you can go. I remember in some old DOS game, it'd make you black out due to G forces and the wings would tear off your plane. How cool is that?

Any RPG that gives me a fireball spell and damageable peasants is going to have that spell detonated in the middle of a busy tavern, I guarantee that. Baldur's Gate was the best for that. If you started murdering peasants, eventually high-level Flaming Fist guards would show up and kill the crap out of you. You'd get really bad deals in shops due to your bad reputation. Your party members would start yelling at you and leave the party or fight you themselves. Thank god for save + reload that makes such fun possible.

Surely everyone who's played a text adventure has had the urge to 1) type in swear words and 2) try to kill yourself. Or think of Shadowgate for NES, getting yourself killed was the greatest part of that game. "USE SWORD ON SELF"

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

You could kill yourself in Shadowgate? I remember doing "HIT SELF" in Deja Vu and it said I got a black eye or something.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Developer
    • Former Tech Admin

I remember once in Gothic 3 (an open-world Elder Scrolls-style game) I attempted to exterminate every single living human from the world, to see if I could do it.