Thread: What's in your box? A story about comic book recommendations.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Default What's in your box? A story about comic book recommendations.

I've been wondering lately, who here still reads these picture books? I've been seriously reading and collecting for about a year now, after a very long hiatus. I'd pick up the occasional Star Wars comic every now and then, but I don't think I'd read a superhero book since the dawn of the Ultimate universe.

If you're like me, what got you back into comics? When did you start reading them? What do you think of the New 52? Marvel Now!? Anything you pick up on a regular basis you'd like to talk about? Favorite writers or artists? Got any recommendations?

I'm pretty much an Image whore these days. Brian K. Vaughan's Y: The Last Man and Ex Machina were great, but I was not prepared for Saga. It's fantastic. Rick Remender's Black Science is a funky Lost in Space-esque story that leaves me slack-jawed with each new installment, and his new book Low is about a future earth whose denizens now live in a city underwater because the sun is nearing the end of its life cycle. East of West is the last of my obsessions, a weird alternate history science fiction western about religious Armageddon. It is smurfing amazing.

Last edited by G13; 10-23-2014 at 03:35 PM. Reason: typo

I've been into comics most of my life but recently I've kind of lost interest. I'll keep up to date for months at a time and get excited and read everything I can, and then I just stop paying attention. It works out pretty well because by the time I get back into it I've got a lot of catching up to do and a lot to read.

New 52 seemed like a pretty stupid idea and from what I've heard it had a pretty shaky start, but some of the stuff's looked pretty interesting. Never been a huge DC fan, really. Marvel NOW! on the other hand has been pretty entertaining. The major events are getting a little tiresome but I've enjoyed most of what I've read. Superior Spider-Man and most of the X-Men stuff I've picked up have been great.

I'm a huge TMNT fan, so all the stuff being pumped out by IDW recently has been keeping me happy.

I've had a bunch of people recommending Saga to me for a long time, it's on my list but I never seem to have the time to get around to reading it... Maybe I should finally check it out.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Superior Spider-Man was incredible! I was very put off by the idea of it, but the execution was great. Amazing X-Men and Fantastic Four have been good too. Marvel's got some good ongoing titles, but the event stories turn me off so hard.

I pretty much only stick to Bat-titles with DC. The newish weekly title Batman Eternal has been really interesting. Batman and Robin is probably the best DC book imo.

Image comics have a $1 Image Special type thing every once in a while. If you go to your comic shop they should have one tucked away somewhere so if you don't like it you didn't waste too much money on it.