Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: At least I didn't crash the car! Is that not enough?

failed my first test because apparently you're supposed to stop at stop signs, at least when people are looking

#INeedDriving because america is big

The Nerd Who Knows Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Denmark View Post
    failed my first test because apparently you're supposed to stop at stop signs, at least when people are looking

#INeedDriving because america is big
    I ran a red light.

Other than that I did swimmingly the first time.
    Though I can't parallel park around imaginary cars represented by cones.
    I can parallel park around real cars like a boss though.

<PaperStar> live fast, die young, bad plefs do it well

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I am impressed by the number of people who failed the driving.portion the first time. I thought I was a member of a sparsely populated, super secret, super sad club.

Of course none of you so far actually hit another car during your test, soooo.

I just tapped their mirror with my mirror! And shattered it.

Signature by rubah. I think.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Failed the first time because the tester got nitpicky, and I barely clipped a curb when I backed out of a parking lot he had me pull in. He was cool about it at the same time and just said try again because everything else I did was fine. Just to be sure, I drove around some more on my learners permit and then passed with no problem...besides one part of the test.

I thought I would fail for sure because some kids who were obstructed from my view ran across the street out of nowhere and a different tester (an older female) got mad at me. I kept a cool head and admitted fault, so I think that won me some points with her.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

The fail I'm most sore about happened when there were roadworks. There was a sign saying 20mph because of roadworks and so I followed the rule of "stick to the last sign you saw" until I turned off the road a minute or so later. But apparently this was wrong and I should've sped up to 50mph. WHEN? THERE WERE NO SIGNS! I OBEYED THE SIGN YOU MOTHERsmurfER THAT IS LITERALLY WHAT IT SAYS IN THE LITTLE BOOK YOU GET GOD DAMN YOU

this is the same guy that passed me so I can't hate him too much, but god damn

Articles
    Blog Entries

Third time was the charm for me. The first time was bull because he took me to a carpark where the wall of the carpark was literally about 1 foot from the curb, so when I went to reverse park in I was used to having the back of my car hang over the curb by quite a bit and my tow ball hit the wall, which was an automatic fail. The second time I was just a bit careless I guess, I apparently didn't come to a complete stop at a stop sign on two separate occasions.

The third time was do or die because in Western Australia after you pass your practical driving test there's 6 months of waiting in which you're supposed to log extra hours of supervised driving time, and I was about to leave for America for 3 months. So naturally I wanted to go on vacation and have the waiting period dwindle down while I was away, to make the whole thing feel much faster. Anyway, I booked it in for 3 days before I was due to leave and got through it without a single fault, I was pretty stoked.

Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

3rd time, with only 1 minor.

Don't the majority drive Automatics in the US? Here it's standard to drive a manual.

It must be harder to get a licence here in the UK. Most people I know didn't pass first time. Also, our roads are just ridiculous. Driving in the country, or my own town is great. But city driving? Oh God. Serious road stress/rage!

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Automatic is pretty standard here. I don't remember the last time I even rode in a vehicle that wasn't.
    Last edited by Colonel Angus; 10-26-2014 at 02:02 AM. Reason: spelling

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It's now the standard in the US unless you drive a convertible. Both my parents drive and learned with stick so they're hellbent on teaching me manual as well.

Driving without the stick is so boring imo, but what I know, I only drove automati once. Here in middle Europe manuals are used the most by far.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I took Drivers Ed in school. Passed the driving test at the DMV on the first try.

Parallel parking is super nerve wracking. You're holding up traffic as you try to sandwhich yourself between two super close cars. No thank you.

I'll park in a public parking lot around the block before I parallel park right in front of where I need to be. Will not do it.
    Last edited by Lone Wolf Leonhart; 10-31-2014 at 09:42 AM.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

I passed my theoretical and practical driving tests on my first try. The theoretical test I passed flawlessly, but I made a few mistakes on the practical test. Nothing serious though. Just a few small side roads I didn't notice before it was a bit late.

As others have already mentioned, manual transmissions are standard here. You can take your drivers ed in an automatic car, but then you won't get a license that is valid for manual cars. If you do your driver's ed in a manual, you can drive both manuals and automatics, so it's preferable to just do that.

Personally, I think automatics are more relaxing, but that is sometimes bad for me cause I might start to feel sleepy more easily. Manuals are more engaging and kake driving less boring.
    Last edited by Mirage; 10-31-2014 at 11:02 AM.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries

Don't drive. Never took the test. Read a manual or something for school, but never went through with it. I'm perfectly content with walking and public transportation.

Not breaking faith today Shaibana's Avatar
    Blog Entries

ive passed the theorie and drivers test in 1x for the car ^^
    i remember seeing my nephew at the theorie examen... he was so nervous it was almost funny.

i did fail my motorcycle theorie 1x though, i didnt study (much) becaus i didnt think it could that different from the car theorie

Grimoire of the Sages ShunNakamura's Avatar

I managed to fail the backing up and turn cone portion(or something like that. Hey that was more than a decade ago, my memory ain't that good). How? Well back then I REALLY didn't deal well in social situations or with people I have never met before. Combine the two and well . . . I ended up having a panic attack and blanking out temporary while backing up. Apparently suffering a stranger induced panic attack is worth a fair number of red marks. Or maybe it was swiping that tall cone thing with my side mirror. Hey it isn't like I ran the cone over! Heck it didn't even get knocked over! Whatever happened to no harm, no foul?

STILL Updating the anime list. . . I didn't think I was that much of an anime freak! I don't even want to consider updating the manga list!