Thread: Final Fantasy VII: New Threat Mod

Default Final Fantasy VII: New Threat Mod

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=14938.0

I can't recommend this enough. I just invested about 100 hours into this and do not regret it for a second. It's an amazing mod that delivers the following features:
    -Pretty much all bosses are different and sometimes there are completely new bosses in the story
    -you can skip over long cutscenes, like Cloud's Past or his time in the Lifestream
    -you can choose to use 'Field Music" instead of battle music. For example, when you are going through a dungeon like Temple of the Ancients, the Temple of the Ancients Theme will play during fights instead of the battle music happening. it's really good at preserving the atmosphere.
    -all Level 4 Limits now are only unlocked via sidequests and boss fights.
    -There is a Extra Battle feature in the Gold Saucer Battle Arena, unlocked by getting to the bottom of North Crater the first time. You unlock about 10 new bosses by collecting certain items. These bosses drop some of the best equipment in the game and when you defeat them you unlock the best Materia in the game like Shield, Ultima, W-Magic, etc..
    -there are now bosses guarding all the Materia Cave Materia

This mod gave me the motivation I needed to replay FFVII all the way through for the first time in years. It was grat to not only re-experience the things I knew, but have a few twists and turns now and then with different bosses and the like. It kept things fresh.

So yes, just recommending it to you all if you would like FFVIi but more challenging and with some unique twists thrown in.

This could be Dangerous! Carl the Llama's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Legendary Hero (Sargatanas)

You Bastard!

Now I need to play this, which means downloading alllllllllll 17gb of those mods again x.x

Not to mention the time I am going to lose from my university study ; ;

Actually you might want to avoid trying to use this with Bootleg. I used Bootleg with it and for some reason this screwed up the mod sidequsts near the end of the game. The guy who made the mod fixed the problem through some trial and error but you can completely avoid the problem by not using Bootleg.

Maybe just try to use FF7Music. A lot of the mods in Bootleg don't work anyway because creator of NT has an installer that will just overwrite everything.

I'll try to upload a couple video demonstrations of the mod later today. They're not very good - my comp can only handle like 13FPS whenrecording with Fraps but you don't have to watch the whole thing. Just want to give an idea.

Also, if you looked up some videos of this online, the videos on YT are all outdated. They're from the last version of this mod. There's now a Level 70 cap and no HP Plus materia. This is because he's working on a New Game + feature. Anyway, bosses in the version I played are substantially different from the ones in the videos currently on YT.

Warning: This is more of a guide how NOT to fight this.

The new Battle Arena superboss for the mod is modeled off FFX's Arena superboss. I liked that.

Firstly, that Ultra Spark move? It inflicts all kinds of nasty status effects on you and it will end the fight as soon as it starts unless you are wearing Ribbons. This means no accessories to do more damage. Furthermore, Ribbon negates ALL status changes, including positive ones. No Haste, no Barrier/MBarrier, no Regen, nothing. You just have to take all his moves on the chin and survive.

You might notice he will always counter Limit Breaks with Ultima. Only, this doesn't count as his turn. He'll get a move right after Ultima. Which means you might very well do what I did and make him use his two strongest moves right in a row. Protip: don't do that.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Ah yeah, SegaChief's NT Mod. I downloaded the initial release of that mod, played up until Aps, then stopped and never continued. This was back when the mod still had a bit of an unreasonable difficulty curve and a silly obsession with the Dual status effect (which is inverse Regen) so I got Game Over'd more times than I cared for.

It seems to have shaped up to be quite an awesome mod by now, and the difficulty curve seems to have been improved by a lot. I should probably go back and play it once more.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It's an extremely good mod now, because the difficulty hinges to a huge extent on how much you prepare for a fight. With the exception of one or two bonus bosses, pretty much anything and everything that gave me trouble the first time around has turned into a pushover when I give it another try with my elemental offenses and defenses set up, etc.

Unlike some FF7 mods this one really rewards forethought and planning rather than just cranking up the difficulty with bigger enemy stats.