Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nobuo Uematsu wants to make a new 2D RPG with the FFVI Development Team.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Cool Nobuo Uematsu wants to make a new 2D RPG with the FFVI Development Team.

At the recent Lapis Dream Orchestra concert in Kyoto, Sakaguchi and Uematsu got together and started reminiscing about the old days and how much fun they had making FFVI together. They spoke in detail about how most games have shifted to 3D and both wanted to make another old-school 2D game. While this may have simply been two old designers reminiscing about the old days, apparently Nobuo really wants to get this done and plans to pitch the idea to Square-Enix. How this would work out is anyone's guest but who here wouldn't be excited to to see a Sakaguchi/Amano/Kitase/Ito/Nobuo helmed 2D RPG?

Source

:monster:

GIEF NAO.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

Its one of those things I would buy simply to support it even if I don't like the end product. They both deserve another chance to make one of their dream games. It's like if Hayao Miyazaki decided to come out of retirement and make another movie. It's a no brainer

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

It'll be a FFXIII 2D remake.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I doubt Square Enix would accept their idea.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Then they can go to a different publisher. With such a team, I'm sure they won't have problems finding someone to publish their game. If all else fails, they can publish it themselves through steam and PSN.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Ever have a huge boner that just tore through your pants at the speed of awesome? Because that's what just happened by simply hearing that this could be a thing.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

This sounds like something I could really get behind, especially with the classic 2D feel. I can't help but feel that a 2D game would be a handheld or mobile game, but that's not a bad thing.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sephex View Post
    Ever have a huge boner that just tore through your pants at the speed of awesome?

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf Leonhart View Post
    This sounds like something I could really get behind
    Thanks, man.

:monster:

Nowhere in the article did anyone mention wanting to make a sequel to FFVI, so I'm not sure why SE owning FFVI matters.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Yeah, the only problems with SE that could come up would be 1) if they wanted to link it to SE games, which I don't think they would, and 2) if they wanted to use any existing SE employees, which I don't think they would.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't know, a joint project between Mistwalker and Square-Enix would probably be good publicity for both companies. The game would probably do well on just the brand recognition alone, so from a business standpoint I can't see why this couldn't happen since SE and Mistwalker have collaborated with other companies on joint projects before. It really comes down to whether Sakaguchi has mellowed out from his banishment in the early 2000s and if SE still has members of their board members who are still holding a grudge. Considering Sakaguchi has mellowed out on his stance with Sony in the last few years and most of the interviews with old staff from SE show they all still like the Guch, at this point it really comes down to silly company politics and whether the people involved have time in their schedules to do anything.

Who knows, maybe this wouldn't even be a new game, it's possible from some of the stuff they were talking about that the project could very well be a FFVI Remake since the article mentions how both Uematsu and Sakaguchi wish they could have done a more for the game. Whether any this comes to pass is anyone's guess but SE is trying to be more open and change their image among their fans, a game reuniting with the series creator could be a nice PR stunt even if the game never surfaced.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf Leonhart View Post
    I can't help but feel that a 2D game would be a handheld or mobile game, but that's not a bad thing.
    I can't remember the last time I actually played a mobile/handheld game to completion There's just something about the dynamic that wears off on me for some reason