Thread: The Silmarillion

Default The Silmarillion

Hello guys,

so after a long, long time I've finally finished the three LotR books and I am soon going to read the Hobbit (I wanted to read it first but I lost the book and didn't buy second one yet...).

What to say, I loved the books and I am sure I will quite like the Hobbit even though it's not quite the same style as the trilogy.

But I am curious about The Silmarillion, is it worth reading as in is it enjoyable to read? I am sure I will love the background of the Middle Earth and all the way back to Eru Illúvatar but I am not sure how are the stories written. You see I've never seen the book before.

Your opinions?

Blog Entries

I have yet to read it myself. I have it on my kindle but have yet to get to it. I couldn't make it through all of the LoTR. After about halfway through The Two Towers I gave up. On the other hand, I LOVE The Hobbit and could read it over and over again!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Haven't read it but very much want to at some point. From my understanding (and anyone's welcome to correct me if I'm mistaken) it doesn't follow a linear plot, but is more of a history and mythology of the elves. And since I love the elves, well! So yeah, I think if you want to find out more about elvish culture and history, definitely read it. If not, you can probably skip it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I haven't read it in a very long time but from what I remember it was more like a history book than a long story. There were some stories thrown in there with songs or poems too, but a lot of it seemed more like a fact book.

I still enjoyed reading it.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I have read it and it reads like the Bible. It's basically a collection of stories about the creation of the world, the rise of Morgoth, who is the real big bad of the series, his eventual fall and the rise of his servant Sauron. It's like a collection of stories that detail the history of Middle-Earth and while it tries to be chronological it can be a bit hard to follow sometimes. It's not a bad read but not much of a strong narrative as much as it feels like someone taking a source book and writing stories about the content if that makes any sense.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

I have read it a couple of times and I enjoyed it, but as Wolf Kanno says it's not really an adventure book with a clear beginning and end. If that's what you're after I recommend The Children of Hurin. It's one of the tales in the Silmarillion that Tolkien was working on expanding before he died, and his son Christopher finished it from his notes. Very dark and tragic tale in Middle-Earth.

One Hundred Chimneys Recognized Member Tavrobel's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It is one of my favorite books.

I know it's not a traditional novel and there's so many names and dates and it can be hard to read. But I love it so much. I think it's just beautiful. If you read it knowing that these are basically the myths and creation legends of Middle Earth, then you'll have a better time than if you're expecting a traditional storyline.

The Silmarillion is lyrical and poetic and tragic. And reading it will give you a whole new appreciation for Lord of the Rings.

In Lord of the Rings, during the Council of Elrond, Elrond says to Frodo:

But it is a heavy burden. So heavy that none could lay it on another. I do not lay it on you. But if you take it freely, I will say that your choice is right; and though all the mighty elf-friends of old, Hador, and Húrin, and Túrin, and Beren himself were assembled together your seat should be among them.
    You really don't know the depth of the praise that Elrond is giving to Frodo if you don't know the stories of Hador, Hurin, Turin and Beren. But if you read the Silmarillion you will!

One of my favorite passages:

For Hurin spoke to Turgon saying "Go now, Lord, while time still is! For last are you of the House of Fingolfin, and in you lives the last hope of the Noldor. While Gondolin stands, strong and guarded, Morgoth shall still know fear in his heart."

And Turgon answered "Yet not long now can Gondolin be hidden, and being discovered it must fall."

"Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, Lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and from me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

CHILLS.

DAMN, I'm pretty psyched for it now! Well Hobit comes first and then if I can get my hands on the Silmarillion I'm going for it!