Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 20th Anniversary Remake?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Default 20th Anniversary Remake?

In a little less than three years time, FFVII will be 20 years old. I remember at its 10 year everyone wondering if it would be remade. Twenty years seems like a much more appropriate and likely timeframe.

Do you think we'll see a remake for the 20th anniversary? Do you want a remake then, or would you like to see them hold out a while longer?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

At this point I feel the safest bet is that a remake will never be made. Second safest bet would be that if one does happen it'll be when they've either run out of ideas or are desperate to make a giant hit of a game so they can fill their corporate bank account.

That or we might see one on the 25th anniversary. That seems like one they might really celebrate.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Yeah, I personally think 25th would be more likely and probably a better release as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

By then it'll be on the PS6 & XBox 7200.

This could be Dangerous! Carl the Llama's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Legendary Hero (Sargatanas)

I wants it. I needs it... my precious...

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Only so fans would finally shut up about it but frankly I feel not only is 25th a better number but that a remake has more value as a trump card in case SE royally screws up their relationship with the fans. Nothing keeps fans coming back like the out of reach possibility of a remake of their favorite toy...

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I think a remake is more likely when the current generation of graphics quality becomes 'easy' or at the very least affordable. I don't think SE like to commit huge teams to remakes.

I'd also expect a FFVI remake first.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

That will basically never happen BoB. Not unless they're making it for PC, targeting present day graphics levels, about five years from now. Even as companies get better at developing for consoles, any time and money they save from having that experience gets used up doing more optimizations than they could do before.

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I'd honestly like to see one change in this game. I'd like a battle system where you could switch out characters a la FFX.

Articles
    Blog Entries

With how long they keep claiming it would take to make, I doubt we'd be getting one in the next three years even if they wanted to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post
    With how long they keep claiming it would take to make, I doubt we'd be getting one in the next three years even if they wanted to do it.
    Those comments were during the Crystal Tools (see really dumb as hell development pipeline) era. Now that they have incredibly more efficient development tools and engine (see the Luminous tech demo with Maya integration, and the latest FFXV open world tech demo, as well as recent company restructuring and business model changes), I'd bet they could easily do it in a typical AAA development timeline and budget.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Until they actually demonstrate an ability to churn out titles rather than tech demos I will remain skeptical as to how efficient they have actually become.
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

Quote Originally Posted by Rostum View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post
    Those comments were during the Crystal Tools (see really dumb as hell development pipeline) era. Now that they have incredibly more efficient development tools and engine (see the Luminous tech demo with Maya integration, and the latest FFXV open world tech demo, as well as recent company restructuring and business model changes), I'd bet they could easily do it in a typical AAA development timeline and budget.
    You mean "look at the era of tech demos and a game that has not seen release after nearly a decade of development" as a sign of efficiency and ability to crank out a quality FFVII remake?
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

I'd be down. I may rate FF VII rather low on the FF Quality scale, but I still enjoy it. It would be nice to see the game upgrade it's models.

Quote Originally Posted by VeloZer0
    Until they actually demonstrate an ability to churn out titles rather than tech demos I will remain skeptical as to how efficient they have actually become.
    This is a very different scenario to previous hazy and non-transparent attitude they showed before recent restructuring and tech development.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    You mean "look at the era of tech demos and a game that has not seen release after nearly a decade of development" as a sign of efficiency and ability to crank out a quality FFVII remake?
    You do realize how recent their restructure, business model change, and technology change has been right? Tech demos and issues with projects before the showcase of the Luminous engine and those recent announcements are irrelevant to any point I was trying to make. The fact that they have actually showcased workflows and pipelines in a lot of detail with Luminous proves my point with how incredibly efficient the engine and their tools (again, just like the Autodesk Maya integration) is from an industry standard. This is coming from someone with game development (see character rigging and animating, as well as 3D sculpting/modelling) that has spent a lot of time in Maya and various engines until recently.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."