Thread: Lords of the Fallen

Articles
    Blog Entries

Default Lords of the Fallen

I was wondering if anyone on here has checked out Lords of the Fallen that just came out a couple of days ago? I was doing some research on it for a podcast I took part in yesterday and was curious if anyone here has played it and could tell me what they think? The review scores seem pretty low, but I'm not well versed in the sites rating the game to know how much merit are behind those.

I do really like the premise. The only thing making me hesitant to check it out are the Dark Souls comparisons. Sorry, EoFF, but I didn't like Dark Souls. Just not for me. It has also been compared to Darksiders, too, and I really like that game so there might be a 50/50 chance I'll enjoy it. I'll only be able to play it on the PC, though.

Discuss.

Dark Souls comparison is for style only. If you were turned off by the difficulty and cheap deaths you may like it. If you were turned off by the lack of story or character building you may also not like it. I've heard it has more than DS but not by much and it sounded kinda amateurish. Darksiders had fun combat with an interesting world as well as interesting characters. Dark Souls mostly just had the interesting world and it didn't even do anything with it. I haven't actually played this game but I followed its development and watched a couple fairly objective reviews. From what I got is that it's Dark Souls without all the stress and cheap deaths. Sounded balanced to start out but they said you become super overpowered in the second half of the game

Quote Originally Posted by Vyk View Post
    Dark Souls comparison is for style only. If you were turned off by the difficulty and cheap deaths you may like it. If you were turned off by the lack of story or character building you may also not like it. I've heard it has more than DS but not by much and it sounded kinda amateurish. Darksiders had fun combat with an interesting world as well as interesting characters. Dark Souls mostly just had the interesting world and it didn't even do anything with it. I haven't actually played this game but I followed its development and watched a couple fairly objective reviews. From what I got is that it's Dark Souls without all the stress and cheap deaths. Sounded balanced to start out but they said you become super overpowered in the second half of the game
    Time to defend the Souls! I know you mentioned cheap deaths in other threads and I still wonder what you mean by that. For all I know there are very few cheap deaths in Dark Souls, in fact the only ones I would count is the forced death by Seath, the archers in Anor Londo and the Bed of Chaos. So that's 3 encounters in a total of hundreds. Other than that any death can be avoided by treading carefully, observing before diving head first into battle, rocking a good shield and summoning help.

To say Dark Souls doesn't have an interesting world is like saying a comic is lame with only looking at the pictures. It is in fact incredibly well designed in both gameplay and story department, but the latter does require attention. If you're the kind of gamer who doesn't care about the story, you will not even find the story. If you're intrigued and wonder why things are happening, there is a big amount of surprises waiting for you to be discovered in the smallest of details. It is part of the game.

And to those who have found the pieces (and once again I know it requires time and dedication and that's not for everyone) they find an amazing work of art about the passing of all of life, it's futility in the grander scheme of time, with characters in leading roles that are neither good or bad, but merely a victim of this passing and decay. It is genius.

I've spent at least 700 hours wandering the undead world of Lordran, and I still found surprises after that amount of time. The 15 hours you have played is in my opinion not enough to be representative for the entire game. I do understand how it may have put you off within that time, but please do not say there is no story or that there are no interesting characters. They are there, and all of it is well-crafted, but you haven't dug deep enough.

Anyways on topic: I heard some decent things about Lords of the Fallen from Dark Souls YouTube guys & streamers. Especially the combat seems to be heavier and has more impact, and apparently they've taken some very Souls' mechanics and got creative with them. I'm intrigued, but I don't have a PS4 or a PC good enough to run it so I won't be playing it anytime soon.

Articles
    Blog Entries

From what I got is that it's Dark Souls without all the stress and cheap deaths. Sounded balanced to start out but they said you become super overpowered in the second half of the game
    Sounds good to me. Now I just need to check out the specs on this thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete for President View Post
    Time to defend the Souls! I know you mentioned cheap deaths in other threads and I still wonder what you mean by that. For all I know there are very few cheap deaths in Dark Souls, in fact the only ones I would count is the forced death by Seath, the archers in Anor Londo and the Bed of Chaos. So that's 3 encounters in a total of hundreds. Other than that any death can be avoided by treading carefully, observing before diving head first into battle, rocking a good shield and summoning help. To say Dark Souls doesn't have an interesting world is like saying a comic is lame with only looking at the pictures. It is in fact incredibly well designed in both gameplay and story department, but the latter does require attention. If you're the kind of gamer who doesn't care about the story, you will not even find the story. If you're intrigued and wonder why things are happening, there is a big amount of surprises waiting for you to be discovered in the smallest of details. It is part of the game.And to those who have found the pieces (and once again I know it requires time and dedication and that's not for everyone) they find an amazing work of art about the passing of all of life, it's futility in the grander scheme of time, with characters in leading roles that are neither good or bad, but merely a victim of this passing and decay. It is genius. I've spent at least 700 hours wandering the undead world of Lordran, and I still found surprises after that amount of time. The 15 hours you have played is in my opinion not enough to be representative for the entire game. I do understand how it may have put you off within that time, but please do not say there is no story or that there are no interesting characters. They are there, and all of it is well-crafted, but you haven't dug deep enough. Anyways on topic: I heard some decent things about Lords of the Fallen from Dark Souls YouTube guys & streamers. Especially the combat seems to be heavier and has more impact, and apparently they've taken some very Souls' mechanics and got creative with them. I'm intrigued, but I don't have a PS4 or a PC good enough to run it so I won't be playing it anytime soon.
    I know I'm super hard on Souls. I don't hate the game. I kinda want to, so it's that part of me talking. But I super appreciate the existence of those games. They're just not for me. (SPOILER)To better explain what I was talking about, the world was interesting. I got the game for free with XBox Live Gold a couple months back, just to see what all the fuss was, I accepted, downloaded, tried it. It took a while to grow on me, but it eventually did. And I loved it. The challenge and skill required was super satisfying. Exploring a world where you have to find out everything on your own was nice too. But eventually I got tired of not being able to find much out on my own. Whenever I got stuck somewhere and looked up a solution, I'd invariably get a history lesson in lore along the way regarding things I'd seen and heard, but in no way were they ever in any context where I felt like I was getting any kind of real story. I had to have been missing a lot and it really bothered me. I let it go for a while, because I loved the atmosphere, the little of the world I DID know, and still the challenge and skill requiredEventually I got to areas where skill was no longer required. You'd walk down a hallway, cautiously, looking for traps, or secrets, or trying to avoid the inevitable random enemy coming out of somewhere unseen (cheap) and brutalizing you up the butt before you realize it. I was used to that. But that stopped happening. The floor literally started falling out from under me. There was no way I could find to figure out ahead of time that was going to happen. And you'd land on some grumpy angry-ass black knight who also wanted to violate your butthole. CheapOr, worse, you'd finally get through this gauntlet from hell, beat the end boss, open up a new area. A completely dark area. You get a little bit o flight around your character, I can't remember if torches were a thing any more or not. But I didn't have any light skills or any light-bearing equipment. So my only choice was to tread slowly. Carefully. Hoping my little aura of light would be enough. But no. Still managed to walk off a cliff that didn't even show up in my little circle of light. It just... ugh. It started to feel unfair. And for the complete lack of story I was getting from it, it completely stopped feeling worth itBut yeah. I obviously missed something. I was probably supposed to go somewhere else first. I was missing some item or ability. In the end the games just aren't for me. It makes me sad and resentful lol I want a game that requires skill, but that doesn't require me to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphs to get a story, hoping the game doesn't snipe you while you fall down a hole that just randomly appeared under you xD

Edit: Dear god. Thanks for removing all the line breaks, browser. (Sorry)