Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Favorite way to read comics?

In this day, we have many different options to explore the various comic heroes' stories. Do you prefer reading digitally on your tablet or in an actual book?

Even then, do you get excited by having a subscription and getting new issues as soon as they come out, or do you prefer to wait until stories are compiled into a collection of some kind?

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

trade paperback
    single issues are fun to get but the ads get in the way of the story and trades are well organized and i like the printing better
    and like
    better deal anyway

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I prefer traditional hard copies because I don't like reading off my laptop screen and it feels plain wrong too. I prefer comics that have as much as the story compiled into a single book. I have all the hard copies of Y the Last Man and I'm looking for something similar for issues of Sandman. I have one of the first issue things, but looking at the back cover there are 11 of those and I don't want that many books lying around. I'd rather that they were compiled in about 5 books like the Y the Last Man are.

:monster:

Trade paperbacks are definitely the way to go here.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I change it up between physical and digital. It's satisfying to be able to own a copy of something and flip the pages, especially if you can get a whole collection. Digitally, it looks better to me.

I use a free program called CDisplayEx, it provides a smooth render and makes the colors more vibrant. Plus you don't have to worry about bending your pages/getting food crumbs on it/w/e

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm trying a month of Marvel Unlimited at the moment, and it's a really nice service in theory. The downside is that I'm limited to reading stuff in my browser. I don't have a tablet to try out the app, but it has a smart view feature that is supposed to just pull up each panel to be able to read it easier... and it works okay sometimes. Other times, it'll cut out half of the text from a panel or things like that. Also, comics on the website can be organized out of order. Such a pain.

On the other hand, I get the chance to catch up on Runaways since I've only read the first volume. Fun stuff.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

1.) Dress up as Superhero in comic. Must wear costume for 8.125 hours no matter how long the comic takes me to read. In the instance of multiple comics, I stay dressed at the first superhero (or heroine). If the character is undefinable or impossible to dress as (or if he/she/whatever looks too regular), the default costume is always Batman based off the animated series.

2.) After reading, I have to go out and buy milk. I am only allowed to say lines from the comics I read in the last sitting.

3.) There in no step three, I just really needed to vent about my fetish, alright?

(SPOILER)Usually I wait until a graphic novel is released if I am interested in a series.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I prefer physical copies (and yes I have read some digitally), but I never got them monthly or anything. I just collected them from stores and the comics my brother gave to me.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I prefer physical copies, but digital copies are far more readily available to me and I use my phone to read them. If I could afford - time and money-wise - the original comics, you can be sure I'd do it.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty_ffgamer View Post
    On the other hand, I get the chance to catch up on Runaways since I've only read the first volume. Fun stuff.
    How are the other volumes? I finished the vol.1 collection and overall I didn't like it much. I was sort of surprised that it was written by the same guy as Y the Last Man. I say sort of because the main reason I dislike it is because how the characters kept on referring to stuff in the media on like every third page and one of the things I didn't like about Yorick was how often he did that. I also felt that all the teens were a bunch of cliches I've seen numerous times.

The Nerd Who Knows Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I agree with everyone else. Trade paperbacks are the way to go. I like my copies to be real.

I've done a few digital copies. But only when I couldn't find a real copy of it anywhere. Like 'The Killing Joke'.

<PaperStar> live fast, die young, bad plefs do it well

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I like the traditional physical copies. I always become uninterested after reading them online and a lose my place easily.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well, I just read the first year of comics (so issues 1-18). I do really enjoy it, but the characters are a bit cliche and everything. I can see why people wouldn't like it. I just think it's a fun little read.

Keep in mind that I have very little experience with reading super hero comics too.

I sadly kinda loathe periodicals and they're the reason I got out of comic books originally. Waiting a month for a 10-page read that you're done with in less than 5 minutes stopped being worth it a long, long time ago

The volume collections are alright, but if you get into anything like The Walking Dead, then it still gets into ridiculous proportions. It's better suited to full story arcs that can be contained in one or two volumes, or one-off legitimate graphic novels. And generally I try to stick to the graphic novel approach. I don't want a commitment, I want a good story and a good time and then the option to move on to something else. I don't want that MMO mentality where they want you to keep coming back

I don't necessarily mind digital, since I have a pretty decent tablet, but I do prefer physical copies

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

"How do you like to read comics?"

One word at a time. Hyuk Hyuk.