Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Game letdowns

Any games that you've heard a lot about, got pumped up to play, and then.... didn't like it?

I've run in to quite a few lately. Super Mario RPG, Chrono Cross, Secret of Mana. Those are the ones I can think of right now, but there have been others

:monster:

FFVII and Ocarina of Time didn't live up to the hype, although I wouldn't call them bad games.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

Articles
    Blog Entries

Infamous and BioShock are the first ones to come to mind. Infamous became tedious as trout and BioShock bored the ever loving crap out of me.

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Sims on the GameCube didn't do anything for me.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    FFVII and Ocarina of Time didn't live up to the hype, although I wouldn't call them bad games.
    This, as well as FFX which I was hyped for until it I played it, MGS4, and Bioshock.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Killzone Shadow Fall was definitely rushed to make the PS4 rush, the whole game, particularly th emultiplayer, just wasn't up to the high standard set by KZ2 and 3.

Dark Souls 2 was a big one for me even if it was to be expected to be less holy than the first. Some others for me are FFXII, HAWX 2, GTA IV and even San Andreas to a certain extend. Oh and Red Dead Redemption.

FINAL FANTASY TACTICS. Come at me, fanboys.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete for President View Post
    Dark Souls 2 was a big one for me even if it was to be expected to be less holy than the first. Some others for me are FFXII, HAWX 2, GTA IV and even San Andreas to a certain extend. Oh and Red Dead Redemption.
    Quote Originally Posted by metagloria View Post
    FINAL FANTASY TACTICS. Come at me, fanboys.
    The first Dark Souls wasn't even what I was hoping it would be. Just a bunch of cheap deaths, and a super cryptic story that just sounds like lazy writing to me. It was interested for a while, but all the "you must die 10 times to advance" crap got old fast. I got it for free. I tried it. Played 10 - 15 hours. Quit. Never looked back

Most GTA games as well. Everyone loves them so much. I keep trying them, to find out why. And keep getting confused. GTA 3, Vice City, GTA 4. Etc. There's just something about them. My biggest complaint with 4 was the driving. You constantly slide 4 blocks when you try to stop. The cars weigh like 2 pounds, and act like they're always on ice

And Final Fantasy Tactics was just battle, battle, battle, story, battle, story, battle battle battle. It's not an what I consider a strategy RPG. It's just a strategy game. There's no walking around towns, dungeons, interacting with NPCs, nothing. This actually turns me off to almost all JSRPGs these days. Disgaea, and every other NIS game included

There's a ton of things that come to mind for my own list though. Final Fantasy VIII. The GBA remake of Shining Force. But I think my saddest disappointments were for games that I found legitimately good, but had flaws that just completely took me out of them. Like Ni No Kuni's 18-hours of hand-holding. Or Valkyria Chronicles' ridiculous difficulty spike barely a chapter or two into the game. I loved both of them. But just couldn't do it. Same with Resonance of Fate. I LOVED the characters, and what little story there was. But their idea of dungeons being just battle, battle, battle. And you get to your destination, THEN you have to go through 20 consecutive battles again, just to get back out. Ugh

Paper Mario Sticker Star.

I purchased my 3DS
    FOR.
    THIS.
    GAME.

I thought it was going to play like the first two games and pre-release shots showed a chainchomp partner, so I was super hyped for the game. Then I bought it, annnnd . . . wow. I was bored the whole way through, normal encounters were actively detrimental, and everything was tedious; it was a miserable slog through the game.

Oh, and I never got my chain chomp. Q_Q

Blog Entries

All the ones you mentioned, shion, plus Chrono Trigger (which I played before the hype), Devil May Cry 4, King of Fighters XII, Breath of Fire V (at first), and Paper Mario Sticker Star which was a big pile of trout. Final Fantasy-wise, FFXII.

Oh, and Dark Souls 1. Dark Souls was like a nerfed version of Demon's Souls with far less variety. Terrible sequel to a great game.
    Xenogears is the tragic story of how your whole life can take a crappy turn, just because you happened to see a lady in a wedding dress before her wedding.

This boy is crackin' up, this boy has broken down
    This boy is crackin' up, this boy has broke down

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Oh here's another one. Bravely Default. I like it, it has made it on my top games list, but I don't find it anywhere near as good as I was led to believe it would be. It is actually pretty low on my list

Blog Entries

Bravely Default was the same way for me too. The combat system is so disjointed. I was hoping that S-E would remake FFV in 3D. Seems we got BD instead. Personally, I'd be happy with a real sequel to 4 Heroes of Light (which I know BD was supposed to be that, basically, but it plays nothing like the original).
    Xenogears is the tragic story of how your whole life can take a crappy turn, just because you happened to see a lady in a wedding dress before her wedding.

This boy is crackin' up, this boy has broken down
    This boy is crackin' up, this boy has broke down

Quote Originally Posted by Polnareff View Post
    Oh, and Dark Souls 1. Dark Souls was like a nerfed version of Demon's Souls with far less variety. Terrible sequel to a great game.
    Ouch, the stomps on my precious Souls Fair enough if you like Demon's better, but what exactly do you mean by less variety? Is it weapons? Locations? Abilities? Bosses?

On topic again:

Ace Combat: Assault Horizon. It has so many good mechanics, but I can not forgive the team for going all CoD-like on the fans.

Megaman Battle Network 4
    The worst sequel of all time. I hate this game. I hate this game with a fiery passion. It ruined a fantastic RPG series.

Super Paper Mario and Paper Mario: Sticker Star
    What the HECK, Nintendo?! You come away from The Thousand Year Door, an absolutely brilliant game, and then you release these as its sequels?! Sticker Star was admittedly nowhere near as bad as Super Paper Mario, but its broken and pointless combat dragged down the entire game to a staggering degree. Super Paper Mario was just an unpolished mess all the way around.

Persona 4
    Fantastic game, but it's not Persona 3. While a much better game from a technical standpoint, the use of tone and the depth of the story doesn't reach the pinnacle that Persona 3 did.

Rune Factory 4
    Fantastic game, but it's not Rune Factory 3. Seriously, this game is really good, but the cast is just not quite as awesome, and there are a few technical decisions that just baffle the mind. Great game, well worth playing, but it's not as good as its near-flawless predecessor.

Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
    Everyone in the Fire Emblem fan base loved this game. I didn't. It felt to me more like an expansion or a ROM-hack of Rekka No Ken (or Fuin No Tsurugi) than it did its own game. The characters weren't as memorable, the story was "meh", the map and random battle system were implemented horribly, and the new animations just felt incredibly unpolished compared to all the old ones.

Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon
    Of course, compared to THIS game, Sacred Stones is a work of art. Worst game in the series to come to the US. Do not play.

Shining Force III
    Only a third of the game came out in the West. Need I say more?

Animal Crossing: New Leaf
    Hey, it's Harvest Moon without the farming or any real goal. A ton of freedom, but no real motivation to do anything. I lasted maybe half an hour.

Pokémon Heart Gold and Soul Silver
    These are fantastic remakes of the original Gameboy Color games. Pity they decided to junk everything the newer games had improved over the older ones except for the graphics.

Pokémon X and Y
    Worst "Important" NPCs in the Series. Period.
    The champion is an awful character who contributes NOTHING to the game, the villain is a nonsensical cookie caricature (even for a Pokémon villain).
    The plot is not much better, especially coming off the great job they'd done with the last two generations.
    Then, to make things even worse, they remove almost all the endgame content that made the game still fun to play for a casual gamer.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.